Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am new to this forum and recently purchased a 1986 190e. Very enjoyable car and a breeze to work on- up to this point. Yesterday, I was doing some routine maintenance on the car and all was well until I tried to start it-- it hardly could click over at all and I saw something sputter out from the air filter. Then I tried jumping the battery with another car- it had more power and turned over once, but still wouldn't start. Like I said, the car worked great until I did the maintenance items yesterday. Here is all I did: Changed out the distributor cap and rotor as well as the fuel filter. Two strange things are making me wonder:
1. I hear a pumping sound from behind the car when I turn the key on.
2. The rotor and distributor cap popped off their place when I tried to start the car with jumping it. I took the distributor cap off and it looks like the rotor was biting into part of the distributor cap (the part number of the new and old rotor match up- except on one side it says 1.8 on the old one and the new one I have says 1.7- what does that mean?)
Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,225 Posts
Sounds like you bought the wrong rotor. Put the old rotor and cap back in and see if it starts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts