Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'94 S600 Sedan, '97 S600 Sedan, etc
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that the PSE Pump is tied to the anti theft system in the car and I've made sure all the connections are where they should be and pulled out several fuses to reset the system but the car won't start under any circumstance. I haven't tried unplugging/plugging the battery though if that helps.

Upon turning the key, you just hear a clicking sound from the engine bay with the cluster lights flickering.

Tips?

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
I've read that the PSE Pump is tied to the anti theft system in the car...
I don''t think that it would stop cranking.

Upon turning the key, you just hear a clicking sound from the engine bay with the cluster lights flickering.

Tips?
That sounds like the Start relay is operating, but not the Starter solenoid. Is your battery in good shape?

·
Registered
'94 S600 Sedan, '97 S600 Sedan, etc
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have been working on the interior a lot lately with the doors open for a long period of time which from previous experiences weakens the battery.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Best if you can use a test meter to measure the voltage at the battery terminals. You need 12v dc for a healthy battery.

·
Registered
1992 600SEL and 1990 ford taurus GL
270 Posts
I would try taking the battery out for at least a half hour to totally reset the car. You could have freaked something out.

When I killed my battery and tried to start the car, the injectors were able to run, but I didn't have enough power to turn the engine over, so it got flooded. This lead to a week of freaking out trying to figure out what was wrong lol. Keep this in mind when u try to start it. Long story short make sure the battery is charged good.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1996 S420, 1983 500 SEC
55 Posts
Start lock-out

The Start Lock-out activated on my 96 S420. I was removing a dent from the driver's door. The seat adjuster, door light, door speaker connector, and panel were disconnected/removed. While working on the door, I had the radio on, window down, door and trunk open. I soon (15 min?) turned the radio off, but left key in ignition switch. From past use, battery would retain enough strength to stay strong. Intending to make a quick run, the car wouldn't start. I recall that at first the green and red light flashed independently (unlocking and lock via the use of remote). At some point, both began to flash simultaneously. Following the procedures (unlocking/re-synch) in the handbook didn't work. I reconnected all electricals, still nothing. I disconnected the negative battery cable for about 20 minutes. The mirror sensor seemed to be reset, but the car would not start. After using the remote, the led and green began flashing simultaneously again. I was told to lock door from outside with key, wait a few minutes, and unlock with key. It didn't start. At about 9pm, I locked the door with the key, and left it until the morning. In the morning, it started right up. The radio reset procedures indicate that several failed attempt to input codes correctly will result in a 24 hr radio sleep. I gather, that the anti-theft system interprets activities that result in small, irregular, changes in the electrical system, as an attempt to steal the car. How long it actually takes to reset...?

Then it cut off WHILE DRIVING! After researching the forum, I replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Apparently, this was, in fact, the problem, and the anti-theft system is not that sensitive! There was some surface rust on the sensor. I suspect that had I simply sanded it off, the thing would have still had life in it. However, I'm comfortable knowing that the little thing that can cause a big problem, has been replaced with a new one for a relatively small amount ($98).

A week later, the car cuts off on the highway 5 minutes after leaving home. The ASR light came on before the cut off. Enough of this! Called Roadside Assistance and learn that since I purchased from previous owner, I have to pay $100 to get Roadside (which will tow to Dealer), and have serviced by dealer every 18 months. A flat bed arrived out of nowhere within 5 min. Did my Guardian Angels arrange this co-incident!? "Tow this bitch", I say! And, only $40 charge to get me and the car back home. The tow guy recommends AAA! In light of the unreliability of this car thus far, I will not own this car without AAA. Found the #16 fuse blown. replaced, but the car won't start. No warning lights giving any indication. ASR light not appearing on. But I believe the ASR is off, as the little red light on the ASR button is not lit. With the key in the #2 position, I don't hear anything priming. Fuel pump? ...researching the forum until my friend shows up with a diagnostic device to read codes.

·
Premium Member
84 500 SEL ...94 S420..... 95 S500.... 96 S500 95 S600
1,707 Posts
I've read that the PSE Pump is tied to the anti theft system in the car and I've made sure all the connections are where they should be and pulled out several fuses to reset the system but the car won't start under any circumstance. I haven't tried unplugging/plugging the battery though if that helps.

Tips?
unplug all the connections to the pse and plug them back in.. Ive had the same issue, there is one connection that has to be in correctly or the car wont turn over at all. Ive removed the pse on cars and the car wont start.. make sure there all in properly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts