Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes 420SEL
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, my 1989 420SEL just will not start, im at a loss as to why it wont, i parked it one night last june and it hasnt started since then, well when i try to jump it, i hear the hissing of the fuel pump but the car wont crank or anything, there is fuel in the car and everything, any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,245 Posts
Loosen one of the spark plugs and verify that you have a spark. If there is no spark try changing the spark plugs, their cables and distributor cap.

Loosen one fuel injector and verify that you get fuel. If not, check the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel return lines. If those components check out OK, you need to have someone take a look at your fuel distributor.

·
Registered
Mercedes 420 SEL
617 Posts
Does it crank? Do you hear just a click-click-click, when you turn the key? Do you turn the key and nothing? Was the car sitting for awhile before you tried starting it?

Could you have possibly left an interior light on and drained the battery, you have fuel in the gas tank?

Need more information.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Jaron said:
... i parked it one night last june and it hasnt started since then...
That’s why.

The gas is bad, you’ll need to drain and refill the tank before you do anything else.

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,892 Posts
I had a similar problem recently. Turned out that I needed to spray the terminals on the coil. Started right up after that.

I assume you have charged your battery up.

·
Registered
1990 Mecedes-Benz 420SEL
1,217 Posts
It is impossible to diagnose without being able to crank the car. If it won't crank, the battery is the first place to start.

Dave

·
Registered
Mercedes 420SEL
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry guys, the gas is mayb around 6 months old, the battery is hooked on my Grand Cherokee Battery while im trying to start it, all i hear is a hissing comin from the fuel pump, and on some try's i hear a single click, thats about it, theres around a quarter tank of gas, i checked all the wires on the starter and they are connected, it cant be the battery becuz im gettin power cuz everything in the car powers on!

and to the user that sayd i needed to spray something on the coils? what do u mean and what coils?

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,245 Posts
If the starter does not turn the flywheel, having spark and gas won't help. :(

You need to figure out what is preventing the engine from turning over.

Get a 27 mm bit and turn the engine over by hand to see if that helps the starter engage/disengage.

·
Registered
Mercedes 420SEL
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok ill try that, anything else i cld try? i mean i drove it and put it back in the driveway and it just stopped starting, at first i figured it was just fuel, then i put in 20Ltrs and it styll doesnt even crank!

·
Registered
1990 Mecedes-Benz 420SEL
1,217 Posts
BATTERY!!! Did you try a jumper battery? Disconnect your old one to be sure it isn't shorting out the starter circuit. Then move to the solenoid on the starter. Then move to the starter. On the way down this road, check the ground.

Dave

·
Moderately subtle
12,620 Posts
AxelWulff said:
If the starter does not turn the flywheel, having spark and gas won't help. :(

You need to figure out what is preventing the engine from turning over.

Get a 27 mm bit and turn the engine over by hand to see if that helps the starter engage/disengage.
What he said . . . but, if you don't hear at least a click when you turn the key, it won't be an engagement issue. Get an electrical diagram to troubleshoot. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned are the interlocks with the gear shifter. Jiggle it in P and try it again. If it doesn't work, try it in N.

·
Registered
Mercedes 420 SEL
617 Posts
I just recently went through something very similar. I pulled into my parking spot, and four hours later it wouldn't start. I tried jump starting it with another car, but nothing.

I took it home, replaced the starter and charged the battery with a battery charger and it started. If you hear a click from the starter area, it might just be a bad battery--even though its showing a charge. It might not be enough to turn it over.

Step 1:

I would first try putting in neutral (might be a neutral safety switch) and try starting it. Then back into park and trying again.

Step 2:

I would start by fully charging the battery, then see what happens. And I don't mean jump starting it, put a charger on it or take the battery into sears and have them run a diagnostic on it.

Step 3: Report back on what happens after that.

·
Registered
Mercedes 420SEL
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i tried the Neutral and Park thingy, that isnt it, but i will try and put a new battery into the car, prolly one outta my Jeep, but i seem to recall tryin that once before, but i will try it again! thanks guys ill keep u updated!

·
Registered
Mercedes 420 SEL
617 Posts
I don't know if your jeep battery will be enough. Seriously, look at the size of the battery in the Mercedes, you could start a tank with it.

Buy an inexpensive battery charger and charge it--or take the battery in to be diagnosed. I use my charger a couple of times a year, and its been helpful so its been worth the cost.

Let us know how it goes, I'm intrigued.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts