Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
02 SLK32AMG/99 E320
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my car about three weeks ago, when the waether was still pretty cold. The first time I had it washed at a car wash, but I wasn't completely satisfied with the results. Now the weather is warmer, it should hit 78 today. Does anyone have any advice for hand washing my car? Detergent, wax, leather treament, that sort of thing. Can you just use old towels or t-shirts? What do you use on your wheels? Armour-all on the tires? This is the first car that I've really enjoyed in a long time. It's a 2002, but it looks brand new and I want to keep it like that for as long as I can.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Check this thread: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1179203

Don't use Armor-All - it's bad for your car. Use microfiber towels, basicaly if in doubt - use Megquirs - that's what mercedes recomends

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Kirill - 3/30/2005 1:32 PM

Check this thread: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1179203

Don't use Armor-All - it's bad for your car. Use microfiber towels, basicaly if in doubt - use Megquirs - that's what mercedes recomends
Don't use old t-shirts. Either use microfiber towles or something that is 100% cotton. Be careful some items that claim to be 100% cotton are not as the stitching is actually polyester which scratches.

·
Registered
02 SLK32AMG/99 E320
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Kirill, I couldn't get your pictures. I kept getting those little red xes, but I assume from all the posts that your car looks great. What do you mean by clay, and are those other products you mentioned available at an auto parts store?

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
cmungo - 3/30/2005 4:26 PM

Thanks guys. Kirill, I couldn't get your pictures. I kept getting those little red xes, but I assume from all the posts that your car looks great. What do you mean by clay, and are those other products you mentioned available at an auto parts store?
Yeph, Something wrong with my hosting. Most of the products i used - yes. Clay available only at Pepboys (or online) Most of Meqguirs available at Target.

Here is info on clay: http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=14

Here is the sample of what was my result:

Attachments

·
Registered
slk32
103 Posts
for the rims, try the michelin 3 step brake dust remover, it includes brake dust repellent, which i think is really nice since the stock brake pads create a large amoust of dust..

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
To quickly clean the brake dust off of my wheels, I have one of those $9 brushes with a long handle that attaches to a garden hose.

·
Registered
2000 SLK 230 LE
196 Posts
You can find Mother's or Megquirs at most auto parts stores. I preffer Mother's as it's milder and does a great job but either will work.

I'd only use microfiber towels for the car. Use one set for drying the car and another set for removing the wax and polishing compounds. Microfiber towels also work great for giving the glass a final polish after you clean them.

Never use Armor All/Turtle Wax/Black Magic as they all contain silicone which will damage your car.

Be sure to get a nice soft cotton mit for washing it.

Never use dishwashing detergent or anything harsh like that. It will ruin your paint. Use a gentle soap from Mother's or Megquirs for cars.

Be sure not to use Windex or anything with amonia on anything other than glass. It will make your plastic parts cloudy over time. Platic polish works better.

Be careful of the rim cleaners you spray on and hose off as some of them are too harsh and can ruin the clearcoat on the rims.

For cleaning the leather you need a good two part cleaner and conditioner. The cleaner should be gentle and the conditioner should not contain silicon. It should really only contain natural oils to replenish the oil in the leather. Remember leather is simply skin and should be treated as such.

Some people use water blades to remove the water but I'm not a fan. A couple microfiber towels should work best.

I'd also get a California Car Duster for in between washing your car to keep the dust and pollen off.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
It's crazy, but I remember some people in this forum using leaf blowers to dry their car [:D]

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Check out http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/ They have a lot advice for detailing cars. Another great site is http://autopia.org/

When washing cars either use the two bucket method, one with soap to wash the car, one with water to rinse the dirty wash mitt or use one bucket with a grit guard to trap the grit coming off the dirty mitt. Any good car wash soap will work, don't see the huge differences between brands. I use a natural sheepskin mitt (costco sells them for cheap, maybe 4 for $10) and microfiber towels for drying (16 for $10 at Costco). For leather I use Meguiars Gold Class leather spray, spray it on a cloth and rub it in, wipe off excess with a clean cloth. For wax, I really like Meguiars NXT, put it on four months ago and still smooth, just re-applied it last weekend. It does a good job of filling the light swirling. On my wheels I use Eagle tire/wheel cleaner (tires need to be cleaned also as they have the same brake dust as the wheels) and then Meguiars Hotshine gives a small amount of tire shine or their Insane Tire shine if you like your tires to be shinier than the car.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
I had done some research at the "detailing" forum:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=37

and learned pretty much what Kirill, cmorosco, and Buellwinkle just shared. I did the full detailing today with the following steps:

1. Wash with Meguiar's NXT Car Wash (2 bucket system)
2. Dry with microfiber towels
3. Clay with Mothers California Gold Clay Bar & Detailing Spray (couldn't find Meguiar's)
4. Wash again with Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
5. Dry again with clean microfiber towels
6. Wax with Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax
7. Remove wax with clean microfiber towels
8. Additional step of drying the rain off after I rushed the car into the garage when it started to sprinkle...it had been such a beautiful day right up until I was finished and cleaning up!

I also cleaned up the wheels a little, vacuumed the interior, and cleaned the windows. Total time invested: about 5 hours but I am probably slow.

I'll post a pic but it does not do the process justice since the car is in the garage (out of the rain).

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
I prefer a a lambs wool mit over cotton.

When drying the car I use a leaf blower followed by an absorber (a synthetic chemois). A real chemois will strip the wax off the car.

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
I do pretty much the same steps as 16falcon, except you only have to clay once or twice a year at the very most.

For wax, I prefer S100 (Same as P21S) or Meguiars Yellow Wax.

One step I would suggest you add is, after you finish waxing, go over the car again with a wax enhancer/detail spray (I prefer Zymol or Meguiars) and 2 microfiber cloths. Use one cloth to get the bulk of the moisture off and the second one to buff it up. I swear its like giving your car a "spit shine" The wax really comes alive with incredible depth.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
ByByeAmericanPie - 3/31/2005 9:29 PM

I do pretty much the same steps as 16falcon, except you only have to clay once or twice a year at the very most.

For wax, I prefer S100 (Same as P21S) or Meguiars Yellow Wax.

One step I would suggest you add is, after you finish waxing, go over the car again with a wax enhancer/detail spray (I prefer Zymol or Meguiars) and 2 microfiber cloths. Use one cloth to get the bulk of the moisture off and the second one to buff it up. I swear its like giving your car a "spit shine" The wax really comes alive with incredible depth.

This is the first time I have ever done the clay on any car. I would agree that once a year would probably be good enough. Even my wife was impressed with how smooth the paint was after the clay treatment, she described it as "better than a new car looks". I'll try the detail spray tomorrow, I let my wife take the car to work today.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
I pay the mexicans at the local detailing shop to do mine. I get bored washing my car so I go inside and play video games.

--Deathy

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
death that's rude! but yeah.. i pay border jumpers to wash and dry my car for $6 [:D] add $4 more and they will wax the whole thing ... i bring my own wax though .. Mother's spay and wipe.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
DEATHERAGE - 4/1/2005 11:11 AM

I pay the mexicans at the local detailing shop to do mine. I get bored washing my car so I go inside and play video games.

--Deathy
After spending 5 hours on it, I told my wife I should just pay someone to do it. She pointed out that I am too anal and would never be happy with the job they did. I have to admit, she is probably right.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts