Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 CLK 430
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sunday, I took my car to have it washed and waxed at the local car wash place. After they finished waxing it, the car started once with lots of errors, so I turned it back off. Then it wouldn't start (turn over) for the next 15 minutes, then it finally started and I drove off. Then I noticed it was in limp mode (1st gear only). I drove it to the dealership and left it there. They said the shifter had gotten wet. Everything I've read online says that happens if you spill a drink or something in the shifter. My theory is the smelly stuff they spray was shot into the gear shifter and messed it up. Luckily it's covered by my extended warranty.

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Coupe
791 Posts
On Sunday, I took my car to have it washed and waxed at the local car wash place. After they finished waxing it, the car started once with lots of errors, so I turned it back off. Then it wouldn't start (turn over) for the next 15 minutes, then it finally started and I drove off. Then I noticed it was in limp mode (1st gear only). I drove it to the dealership and left it there. They said the shifter had gotten wet. Everything I've read online says that happens if you spill a drink or something in the shifter. My theory is the smelly stuff they spray was shot into the gear shifter and messed it up. Luckily it's covered by my extended warranty.
I'm really sorry to hear that.
That's why I never let anyone touch my car for any reason.

You're probably right, it was probably dashboard dressing they were spraying.

I feel that you always get the best results when you clean your car yourself.
A lot more pride and attention goes into the work when you do it yourself. To the guys at the car wash place, your car is just another car...worse still, they'll probably think something like..

" yeah man!! look at that Benz!"....

- the sight of a nice Benz will have them sniffing around your car alot more than just a "run-of-the-mill car".

They're more likely to start buggering around with your switches & gadgets too. This is something I have had experience with.

Glad all is ok - some people who have had spills around the gear shifter have not been so lucky!!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
215 Posts
You are sooo lucky this is covered by the warranty. I have to agree with Rashman.. lettin someone else wash your car is like lettin someone else hook up with your woman.

·
Registered
2000 CLK430 Coupe Silver/Gray
185 Posts
You are sooo lucky this is covered by the warranty. I have to agree with Rashman.. lettin someone else wash your car is like lettin someone else hook up with your woman.
I was just going to say the same thing. I'm shocked your warranty would cover this.... Im assuming they dont know the real story of what happened???

L

·
0 Posts
You know I have never pay to wash my car included my Honda Civic. It more fun doing it yourself on a sunny weekend.:thumbsup::D

·
Registered
791 Posts
You know I have never pay to wash my car included my Honda Civic. It more fun doing it yourself on a sunny weekend.:thumbsup::D
Absolutely!

There's nothing quite like the satisfaction of standing back after 4-5 hours of prideful cleaning to see your gleaming 208!

·
Registered
2001 CLK 430
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sometimes you just get lazy, I didn't feel like doing the waxing part. Anyways, got it back from the dealership. They said the shifter wasn't wet. It was an electrical malfunction, according to their best guess. They said the codes didn't even register as "normal" codes. Then they reset it and it worked. They replaced the shifter anyways ($700+ parts/labor), covered under my extended warranty. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Sometimes you just get lazy...
Yeah, I know what you mean.. there are times when I really don't fancy washing the car - when I clean the car, I'm one of those people who has too clean EVERYTHING so it usually takes about 3 hours. If I don't clean it, the guilt gets me!!

If you can, you should put a quality wax on your car at least twice a year. I know it's a ball ache but it's worth it. It's invaluable protection for your paintwork.
They say that you don't really need to apply it more than twice but unfortunately I'm also one of those people who insists on waxing after every wash.

So make sure you do it when you're next in the mood and you should be good for a while.

Great news about your gear shifter. Even better news that it was covered by warranty!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts