Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, this is my first post on here.

I have a 2010 E350 W212 Mercedes.

About 1 month ago my battery started trying to die (the main battery). I took it and had the battery replaced with a mercedes battery, they reprogrammed the car to the battery (so they said).

Battery is fine now, car starts, no cold weather start issues.

After the battery was replaced, a few days later, the car threw itself into Park while I was traveling 5 mph or so.

It started do this a few times now, I cannot exactly duplicate when or why it does it.

What I have done so far...

1. I found the auxiliary battery under the instrument cluster and I disconnected it. Now I get the Aux Battery warning on the dash. Oddly the car didn't throw itself into park for about 7 days, then yesterday it did it again.

2. Door Open. My door is not open. I also don't think this is related because if I open my door my dash changes to a red warning color AND the car does NOT put itself in park.

3. Gear Shifter is on the steering column. I am starting to think the push to park button on the shifter is the only other piece that could be related to this problem? Maybe I have a bad park button on my shifter?

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,319 Posts
If MB dealer replaced battery MB should cover repair for 12 months/unlimited mileage have them revisit to resolve your concerns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The deal is claiming this issue is not related to the battery.

I also tried switching to the other key fob in case there was some security issue or battery issue with the key.

I am at a dead end. Going to have to take it into the dealer Monday unless someone has anything else to try.

·
Registered
2011 Mercedes E350 Sport 4Matic
203 Posts
I have no experience with that problem, but is it possible that a door striker is bad? Do the door open message appear when the car puts itself in park?

Maybe you should just slam shut all the doors and disconnect the batteries to reset the body control module, because maybe a door was open when the auxiliary battery was unplugged, and messed up the position readings the body control module has that tells the car that the door is properly closed.

First, I would talk this over with the service shop first and maybe they will reset the door settings for you since you had the battery repaired recently, just leave out the fact that you disconnected the aux battery. ;)

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,319 Posts
The deal is claiming this issue is not related to the battery.
“Precautionary” DIY checks: positive line to main battery seats tightly and fuse f16 (electronic selector lever module control unit) @ front SAM located left engine compartment is ok.

If “reprogramming” is documented on invoice revisit is certainly justified. Dealer seems uncooperative in wanting to revisit give MB (MBUSA 800-367-6372) a call to request dealer revisit repair inclusive of checking for fault codes at no cost. I assume you are out of warranty and battery replacement was out of pocket – MB should cover this repair for 12 months/unlimited mileage.

·
Registered
13 GLK350, 02 325, 94 sonoma, 12 RAM, 01 WS6
2,051 Posts
"programming" battery to the car. HMMMMM I wonder what they really did. set the clock maybe? We don't do anything when we replace batteries. But there may be something I was no told that has to be done when a batt is replaced. NOW when I was at BMW we "registered" the batts to the car.

IMO put everything back together as it should. discuss with dealer and see what they say. you could have a failing ESM, we has done several over the last few months at my dealer for multiple issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey, Jon:
I had similar problem with my 2010 e350 before, but I changed my car, so I didn't investigate further, but I did find a correlation (not exactly a cause) of the problem before I changed my car.
During cold days ( I am in Canada), my e350's keyless button would sometimes lost sensitivity, so instead, during the past winter months, I just took out the button and insert the key, I encountered the problem couple times in april, dealer checked and reported no problems. I put the button back during the summer and the problem just gone. Again, in Setember, I started to insert the key, the problem resurfaced.
My conclusion would be sometime in the smart key interfered with the computer and caused this problem. Although stange, start the car with keyless button seems to prevent the problem.

I hope this will help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE **********************

Hi, I ended up getting the car fixed at the dealer.

The end result was to replace the EIS Ignition Starter Module (the thing the key goes into)

The dealer is showing part number 212-905-67-01 $567.30

The notes from the tech on my invoice are:
Performed Road Test. Verified customer complaint. Performed Short Test. Code for Buffer Battery. Test Program after short test. Performed Midtronics test of both batteries. Good. Found Vehicle did not recognize key when fault was present. replaced EIS. Performed Initial Start-up. Cleared Codes. Test Drove. OK At this time

To Recap:

Car would throw itself into park at 5mph when coming to a stop.

Not related to the door open. When my door opens my dash goes red. During this issue the dash never changes color. I did slam all doors just in case. that was not related to this issue.

Recently had my battery replaced in the car (this must be related)

I tried unhooking the Aux Battery under the dash on the drivers side. This actually worked for about a week, probably coincidence or weather related.

I also tried both keys.

I replaced batteries in one key and tried it.

I do think the cold weather is related to some battery or electrical fault.

Finally allowed the deal to replace the EIS module and that solve the problem for me for about 30 days now

Mercedes. I called MBUSA about covering the parts cost, my car was 45 days out of warranty. The refused. I said it was a safety issue to drive a car that can throw itself into park.

I am going to file a Magistrate Court suit against BENZ, I still believe this problem is widespread and a safety issue.

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,319 Posts
Bulletin LI54.25-P-056472 released 2/2014 “The key is not recognized in the electronic ignition switch, the vehicle cannot be started and/or the automatic transmission may perform an "Automatic P function" at speeds below 6 km/h.”, replace electronic ignition switch due to assembly issue - 212 clean point (problem corrected) as of VIN A776831. Check your PM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Jon,

Not sure if you still have the car anymore. I'm having the similar issue currently.

The first time it happened when I was driving on highway, but got stuck in traffic. So, the speed was very low as well, within 10mph. Towed the car to dealer. They told me it was the steering wheel module failed that caused "computer thinks driver's side door is opened".

After the replacement, it went pretty well for 40 days. But it did happen again on the exactly same highway. This time dealer has MB engineer involved. They are giving me same solution as you described-replacement of this ignition module.

I wonder if the problem happen again after your ignition module replaced? Is this the real reason that causing it?

Really appreciate any updates.

·
Registered
1989 560SL; 2014 E350
1,523 Posts
Hey Jon,

Not sure if you still have the car anymore. I'm having the similar issue currently.

The first time it happened when I was driving on highway, but got stuck in traffic. So, the speed was very low as well, within 10mph. Towed the car to dealer. They told me it was the steering wheel module failed that caused "computer thinks driver's side door is opened".

After the replacement, it went pretty well for 40 days. But it did happen again on the exactly same highway. This time dealer has MB engineer involved. They are giving me same solution as you described-replacement of this ignition module.

I wonder if the problem happen again after your ignition module replaced? Is this the real reason that causing it?

You make a good point in your opening comment, fwu...Jon may not have that car anymore.

In addition, the entire thread that Jon started was over 3 years old, the discussion's duration took place over a period that only lasted just over 3 weeks, and Jon's only 3 posts on BW took place at that time during that thread. It's unlikely that Jon is still visiting BW and it's also unlikely that he'll ever see your request for an update to his 2014 problem.

I suggest that the best way to possibly alert him that you'd like an update from him would be to send him a PM. There's a chance he might get an email notifying him that he has your PM from BW regarding this thread, and he could return to share any updates with you. With his very brief BW involvement, however, it's a long shot after 3 years, but you have nothing to lose if he's able to learn of your interest.

Another possibility is someone else chiming in who has successfully solved this particular issue.

Have you tried a search on this issue on the BW W212 forum, any other M-B forums, or just a general internet search for information on this issue, or maybe your dealer is on the right track? Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey NYYYCE&EEEEZY,

Thank you very much for all the tips here. I'm new to the BW forum.

I've tried to search for similar issue, but only Jon's case matches perfectly on my situation.

Just for the record, I have a 2013 GLK, 4MATIC, no KEYLESS-TO-GO.

Dealer told me the car would be ready after they sent the data(codes) back to MB engineer to make sure problem solved. I hope they are taking it seriously as they sound.

PS, welcome anyone who suffers for same problem to contact me here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
UPDATE **********************

Hi, I ended up getting the car fixed at the dealer.

The end result was to replace the EIS Ignition Starter Module (the thing the key goes into)

The dealer is showing part number 212-905-67-01 $567.30

The notes from the tech on my invoice are:
Performed Road Test. Verified customer complaint. Performed Short Test. Code for Buffer Battery. Test Program after short test. Performed Midtronics test of both batteries. Good. Found Vehicle did not recognize key when fault was present. replaced EIS. Performed Initial Start-up. Cleared Codes. Test Drove. OK At this time

To Recap:

Car would throw itself into park at 5mph when coming to a stop.

Not related to the door open. When my door opens my dash goes red. During this issue the dash never changes color. I did slam all doors just in case. that was not related to this issue.

Recently had my battery replaced in the car (this must be related)

I tried unhooking the Aux Battery under the dash on the drivers side. This actually worked for about a week, probably coincidence or weather related.

I also tried both keys.

I replaced batteries in one key and tried it.

I do think the cold weather is related to some battery or electrical fault.

Finally allowed the deal to replace the EIS module and that solve the problem for me for about 30 days now

Mercedes. I called MBUSA about covering the parts cost, my car was 45 days out of warranty. The refused. I said it was a safety issue to drive a car that can throw itself into park.

I am going to file a Magistrate Court suit against BENZ, I still believe this problem is widespread and a safety issue.
Hey Jon,

·
Registered
6 Posts
See attached bulletin.
WOW interesting, this is great! Thanks a lot. It seems coming from Daimler directly.

I'm not familiar with this report. Does it mean the issue is discovered by manufacture? and can be fixed permanently?

Just still scared to drive it now, since it happened twice on me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts