Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
560SEC, 1988; 500SE, 1984; 500SL, 1983
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience of long-term car storage (thinking 1-2 years) - costs? what to look for / avoid?

I'm in NYC and looking to store one of my cars for a couple years, but would probably travel out to get cheaper costs...

Cheers :thumbsup:

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
1,798 Posts
Keep it up in the Syracuse area. I have 3 bays and if one is filled with someone elses car, that is less trouble I can get into with the wife :cool:

Seriously, I think the biggest factor is "what service do you want?" Do you want a place with an attendant, where someone can run it from time to time or at least move it around so your tires dont get flat spots?

Unattended?

I'd ask about security, services and ask for referrences.

·
Premium Member
1972 280CE
4,211 Posts
Rich

Storing a car for a couple of years is not a problem as far the service offering is readily available.

Here in Texas, it costs $100-150 / month for a 10x20 and most places will auto debit credit cards. The bigger problem will be what it will do to your car as these cars don't like to sit for very long periods of time.

You can also run into unforeseen issues such as water leaking into the unit etc so be careful in choosing a unit (I've had units flood out on me when it rained).

If you're planning to store it because you need to leave the country, I would suggest that you sell it or take it with you as it's very tough to deal with unexpected problems from overseas.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
If stored that long would'nt you want to drain the fuel and store it on jack stands so the tires did not flat spot or , if on stands just remove the wheels. Just my take on it.

·
Registered
560SEC, 1988; 500SE, 1984; 500SL, 1983
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great advice. Not leaving the country, just don't have time to drive both cars, but don't want to offload. City living = not good for car collecting, lol

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,056 Posts
Great advice. Not leaving the country, just don't have time to drive both cars, but don't want to offload. City living = not good for car collecting, lol
Rich,
I would keep good care of it in Sothern California for free :)

Mike

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
If stored that long would'nt you want to drain the fuel and store it on jack stands so the tires did not flat spot or , if on stands just remove the wheels. Just my take on it.
I would put a fuel stabilizer in too.

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,944 Posts
$150 month for indoor in sf bay area too.

Ideally find someone who will drive it 20 miles a month to prevent seals from drying out and keep battery charged and fuel flowing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts