Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes C200 1997
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mercedes c200 1997. I was accelerating (too much) to overtake a car and then half way my car went off in the middle of road!! since then everytime I start the car, it starts but dies in a second?!? what can it be? fuel pump? plz help .. thanks alot

·
Registered
Mercedes C200 1997
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it starts like it would normally do but after 1 second it dies .. I tried accelerating to keep it on but it doesnt help :/

·
Registered
Mercedes C200 1997
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yesterday I left my car where it stopped, went this morning just to ckeck if it works and it started and was on, so i drove it few hundred meters and when I stopped, it went off again :/ but it starts and stays on now .. Im afraid that if I drive it, it might just go off in the middle of highway .. any ideas what is causing this? :/

·
Registered
Mercedes C200 1997
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
actually the car goes off as soon as I stop accelerating .. cant even drive to a repair centre :/

·
Registered
96 C220, 85 300D , 84 300D (sold), 80 300TD (sold)
188 Posts
actually the car goes off as soon as I stop accelerating .. cant even drive to a repair centre :/
Ok I'll give it a shot.

First lets clarify some terms. When you say 'goes off' I'm assuming you mean the car shuts off or the engine dies, correct? Initially, I thought you might have the same problem as I am currently having which is shutting off upon starting. But mine does not shut off after it gets going. It sounds like the issue with mine may be a bad air intake temp sensor.

My thought is that its a bad mass airflow MAF sensor. However, this does not account for why it started after you went off the road. A bad MAF will cause the engine to behave erratically and shut off. Unfortunately, MAF sensors are not cheap.

If you know a mechanic in a Benz shop yu can ask if there is a similar model Benz being worked on and see if you can temporarily swap a working MAF. This way, if the car runs fine with a good MAF, then you know you will not be wasting your money when you buy one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You could also try unplugging the maf and see if it will run. I had this problem with my c230 during my 100 mile commute to work, halfway through the car sputtered and died. Left me stranded for about a half an hour untill i thought to unplug the maf to see if this was the issue. unplugged, started it up, drove it about a mile to make sure it wouldnt die on me again, and then drove home. 300 dollars later i have a perfectly opperating vehicle.

·
Registered
c280 sport, 1998, 147000
15 Posts
I would check the exhaust system (muffler & catalytic converter). If the system is clogged it will shut off the engine. Check the tail pipe with the flash light, maybe someone stuck something inside just to play with you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think its elektric sensor that is where the driveshaft goes out og the motor/engien. When sensor become warm it shut down and don't work and when its warm it works. Take sensor out and use hair dryer and se if engien stop.

·
Registered
1994 Mercedes C220
23 Posts
1 thing to check for is tht all the connections on the battery it tight. I had the same problem and jjust needed to tighten up the terminals

1 - 11 of 11 Posts