Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Ml320 2000 keep stalling while driving any help
What's the mileage? My previous car, C320, would cut off severally while driving, once close to 90kmph, culprit was badly clogged catalytic converter and faulty MAF sensor.

You may also elaborate, does it stall at highway speeds or when you want to take off from a stop, like traffic light i.e. Moving foot from brake to accelerator pedal.

I have also noticed in some situations, the catalyst efficiency dtc may delay, same with MAF related errors.. also ensure you scan with something that will read at manufacturer level, there may be pending/current codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ml320 2000 keep stalling while driving any help
mine used to do that, i would:
  1. scan it and see what codes u get.
  2. check maf sensor and see if its OEM, dirty or bad . mine wasn't OEM, i bought used OEM and works waaaaay better and stopped dying on me at red light.
  3. Crank shaft sensor- i replaced mine and car ran better.
  4. check EGR valve hoses, i found a couple hoses cracked, had to replace.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Its probably not a crank sensor if you keep driving it, then it stalls.
That may happen once but most normally, they don't restart again much.

Crank Sensor = crank, no start. If you suspect it go home & replace immediately so you don't get stranded.

Check your fuel pressure, there is an easy port to access on front passenger side fuel rail. It should show pressure upon Key ON & remain steady while running around 52psi more or slightly less.

If that checks good...

I vote for what Noetico suggested perhaps a clogged catalytic converter - both sides get plugged and the rears can be really bad, and they don't initially set a code (no 02 sensors), but if they plug enough, the backup will set O2 Sensor codes for Front or MAF or Misfire codes - if they get worse, they might even prevent the Democrats from finding ANYONE qualified to run.

(ha ha couldn't resist that...)

I've written volumes and done YouTubes on eliminating Rear Cats (I assume you have 4 like most MB do, primary pair & secondary pair.) Keep the fronts, Rears can go UNLESS you're a captive in the State of Confusion, I mean, KALIFORNIA where they will require you keep them. Even then there are creative solutions ranging from gutting Rear cats so they 'look' all there but don't clog your exhaust flow, to getting new ones that are CA approved but aftermarket so not too $$$.

My videos are on YouTube under Mother Goose and titled like "ML 500 exhaust modification upgrade rear cat delete'.

I also did this same mod on wifes w210 did a thread but no specific video showing cat removal.

Hope some of this helps ya....David in Texas

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts
Its probably not a crank sensor if you keep driving it, then it stalls.
That may happen once but most normally, they don't restart again much.
I think it’s very likely to be the CKP sensor.

When mine went bad, it restarted immediately the first time. The second time, it refused to restart, but when I returned to it over 1/2 hr later, it did. I didn’t wait for the third time.

But if you do try to ignore it and keep driving, you can expect it to stall at any time after the engine reaches operating temperature. Like >80 deg C. If it doesn’t restart immediately, don’t flatten your battery with retries. Wait 10 minutes and try again once. Then wait another 5.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I think it’s very likely to be the CKP sensor.

When mine went bad, it restarted immediately the first time. The second time, it refused to restart, but when I returned to it over 1/2 hr later, it did. I didn’t wait for the third time.

But if you do try to ignore it and keep driving, you can expect it to stall at any time after the engine reaches operating temperature. Like >80 deg C. If it doesn’t restart immediately, don’t flatten your battery with retries. Wait 10 minutes and try again once. Then wait another 5.
I agree. My experience with both my CKP's was exactly as you describe.
Mike

·
Registered
864 Posts
Dr X, Mike:

I agree with you just would add that in our case, I got 1 'Free Try' then it was Sayornara time, totally dead until new Crank position sensor installed.

I was very grateful that it happened 10 miles from our house, and could at least drive home - avoiding a Tow Bill.

But, has the OP left the building ?!?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts