Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
When you turn the wheel the P/S pump needs to balance the steering gear box fluids, so there's more strain on the belt system.

What's your idle speed? Mine is roughly 600 and it shows that sign a bit. Have you changed your P/S filter & fluid lately?

·
Registered
82 300D, ISU Formula
225 Posts
I would check your fuel filters, that was part of the cause of my shake. I also had a pinhole leak in one of the fuel lines that was allowing air to get sucked into the system, and causing it to run rough. Dirty or worn injectors will also cause said problem. You could always adjust the idle up a 100 RPM.

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
Also check the motor mounts to make sure there not shot. Sometimes its the simple things that fool us

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How would you check whether the mounts are broken?

I should change the filters, I already threw in a few purge, and haven't changed the filters yet [:D]

The power steering, I haven't changed that filter. Is it necessary? I don't see how it can get dirty.

My car idles at around 600. How would you adjust the idling speed? On the 240D, they could do it in the inside...

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
This is where karugs should step in and do one of those little pictures with an arrow pointing to the idle screw. Its in between the injection pump and the block, more towards the rear of the car. You first have to loosen a nut then u screw the center flathead screw in a few turns until your satisfied. As for motor mounts just look at them and see if they look ok to u. Try goin to the engine bay and shutting of the engine manually and see how much the engine shakes, and listen to any noise coming from those engine mounts. The engine should shake but not too much. I dont know if your used to diesels or not but these cars "shake" a lot during idle because of the compression. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Regarding idle adjust, no need to take pics from my car:

Thanks to 84300DTurbo for this one.

You can view the thread on adjusting idle:

http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1195041&posts=13&hl=idle+adjust

I'm pretty sure the P/S pump should be a tight seal but sometimes it can get dirty (rubber hosing could shed particles, etc).

You purged it properly, or did you just pour it into the tank? I heard pouring it into the tank wastes it ...

My car idles at 600 too, sometimes up to 700. No shaking or anything.

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
i didnt mean that screw but sure, whatever. i was just talkin bout the idle adjustment. where it pulls the throttle a little. the on ur pointing to i dont know what that is

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
obaja - 4/28/2005 12:30 PM

You first have to loosen a nut then u screw the center flathead screw in a few turns until your satisfied.

This screw and locknut? Not sure about the flathead screw, but it's the idle adjust for a 300D. 240Ds had the idle adjustment knob inside the car. [|)]

Maybe you were pertaining to the throttle linkages? Those are the ones between the IP and engine block, right beside the oil filter area.

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
thats not the idle adjustment screw. the screw is on the right side of the adjustment pump. it has a flathead screw in the midle with a nut on the outside. go check it out pat

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Marsh, I'm not really 100% sure about this rack dampener bolt because I haven't adjusted it myself yet. Only know what's posted on the link I provided.

Schmoney, I think so. There are two screws, the top one is the lock nut. Loosen this and adjust the bolt (second one). Then retighten. But how far you should adjust it, I can't help you on that. Maybe somebody who has done this can help.

The ALDA has that protective plastic thing covering it. Yes, I broke mine to access the locknut and the screw with a - on it so you can adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
1989 W201.029/M103 3.0
244 Posts
Remove engine. Take out in boat for a good, long distance in local river. Drop engine in river. Buy petrol engine. Turbo or supercharge that if you want.

Fixes all known problems with diesel engines. And even helps their former owners make much more sense in general social environments.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Vanir,

http://www.northtexaspowerstrokes.com/post/Diesel%20Engines%20and%20the%20American%20Automotive%20Industry.html

Hope this will keep you busy for a while.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts