Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
CL500 & S600
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been awhile since I needed one (20+ years), but I find myself in the market for a baby seat. I'm tired of moving car seat from girlfriend's car to mine and back. Have heard stories that some models do not fit well. Any new fathers out there with some advice?

I understand that the new recommendation is that babies under 1 year must ride facing backwards. true?

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
not a daddy yet here but i do know that they should be in the seat backwards and not in the front seat becaues the air bag will do more harm than good

·
Registered
CL500 & S600
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand they have to ride facing backwards. Let me rephrase the question - do they have to ride facing backwards for the ENTIRE first year? The recommendation used to be for babies up to a certain weight.

·
Registered
'02 C320 Wagon
6 Posts
Babies under one year old and under 20 lbs must ride backwards, in the back seat.

I'd suggest the Graco SnugRide system. Just get a base ($35) for both of your cars and one car seat.

·
Registered
300TE 4-Matic 300GD
330 Posts
Hi David.

I can't tell you anything about brands and such. But I can share some experience.

I would keep the baby in a cradle as long as possible. A baby will take a very hard impact, as long as the whole body hits the hinder freely. (Like in a cradle with a net) Once one part of the body is secure, and another free, (as the head will be in a chair) you will risk serious damage upon an impact. The smaller the baby, the more severe spinal damages.

Keeping the babies facing backwards is fine, except when you're hit hard from behind. So matureness of the neck musculature and the neck itself should be considered before moving from a cradle to a chair.

Another good thing about a centered cradle in the back seat is, you'll be keeping the baby in the very safest place available in the car. Marking the car with a "baby onboard" sign is wise in case of an accident.

By driving them around in a CL and S, you've done a great deal to secure the baby in the first place. These cars are awesome at handling impacts. In my view, that's one area not effected by problems.

Regards

Geir

·
Registered
37 Posts
Pumpkin seats are good for when they are very little - 6-9months or so. Good protection, low priced, and substitutes for a highchair when they are newborn. Only rear facing though so you need to replace them at one year.

I think the best way to go is a convertable car seat that switches around at one year/>20lb. I'm very happy with the Britax Wizard. Expensive but I can't say enough great things about this car seat. 5-point harness, extra head/neck protection, and good from 5-65lb.

Just as important as the seat itself is proper installation and use. You can get your car seat checked out at many police and fire departments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts