Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about purchasing an '87 300TD wagon to haul the kids and whatnot.

My kids are going to be in car seats for awhile, and i was wondering whether the optional 3rd row in the wayback is suitable for a car seat? It doesn't look like it has shoulder belts. I couldn't seem to find an online manual that said for sure (though I may have not looked thoroughly enough).

Thanks so much in advance.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
My 88 has shoulder belts and i believe our cars are identical but for the engines.

·
Registered
500E, E320 Wagon, C32
227 Posts
hillbillypharmacist said:
I'm thinking about purchasing an '87 300TD wagon to haul the kids and whatnot.

My kids are going to be in car seats for awhile, and i was wondering whether the optional 3rd row in the wayback is suitable for a car seat? It doesn't look like it has shoulder belts. I couldn't seem to find an online manual that said for sure (though I may have not looked thoroughly enough).

Thanks so much in advance.

Yes, they have the belts as OEM unless of course some bright guy (aftermarket) took them off :))

·
Registered
E500Es
29,576 Posts
Welcome to the board. If you would, please fill in your profile so we can tell from where you hail. With a handle like hillbillypharmacist I might assume you are from somewhere near here [or in the witness protection program].

·
Registered
E500Es
29,576 Posts
neanderthal said:
yeah,theyre usable, but IIRC they face backwards
They would be to keep someone from going out the back window in case of a rear ender.

·
Registered
'87 420SEL '89 300E
44 Posts
A couple of things to consider, if it is an infant, the car seat is to be rear facing for the first year (regardless of weight), so car seat manufactures design the seats to be placed forward and face rear. If you put the seat in the way back (3rd row) the child will be facing the front and God forbid you get rear ended, that child is... well you see where this is leading. Now there are car seats that will allow you to face rear or forwards, but those are not for infants (new born), I think they start for 15lbs or so (which could be around 5-6 months old).

Now if you are hauling around a toddler and want some sort of peace and want to put the screamer as far away as possible from you... then you should be able to use a regular car seat (that has its own safety belts). If this is the case, I would also contact your local law enforcement agency and ask about the legality of the 3rd row install, save you the embarrassment of being on the "Live at 5" news and possible imprisonment for carrying kids in the trunk.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
Another thing to consider is that when the seat back is flipped out of the floor, the only thing holding up is gravity and the weight of the occupant of the seat. In other words it doesnt lock in the upright position. So a small lightweight child is probably not the best occupant.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet
126 Posts
alexnatt said:
Another thing to consider is that when the seat back is flipped out of the floor, the only thing holding up is gravity and the weight of the occupant of the seat. In other words it doesnt lock in the upright position. So a small lightweight child is probably not the best occupant.
For a 124 wagon, it is supposed to lock in the up position - mine does. The mechanism may be rusted or jammed in your car.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
thanks max. i will check it out. i can count the number of times i have used it on one hand.

·
Registered
1995 e320 wagon
4 Posts
I was just looking at mine yesterday and noticed that the upright is locked in place when the cushion is flipped into place. Clever little mechanism.
I'm also going to need a baby/child seat setup for my '95 124 wagon soon, and wonder if anyone has any recommendations?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts