Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 380 SL. 98 lexus GS 300 2000 Toy tundra
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1981 380 SL.So I took her to fill her up to the gas station but on the way it lost power and acted like it was out of gas. When I got to the gas station it died. The car has a full tank and will not start. When I turn it over it sounds like the timing is off now. What are the symptoms of the timing chain going bad. I didnt hear any odd noises like banging valves or the like. Has anyone had the chain issue when it goes out. what do I look for now to get it back on the road.
Any suggestions????:crybaby2:

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,298 Posts
I had that symptom once in my '81 380. There I was, a warm summer morning, pulling onto the Wilson Bri...!

Long story short. Four hours later, it started right up. The fuel relay was then replaced and (knock wood) it never happened again.

·
Registered
1998 SL500, 1959 220S, 1970 280SL
778 Posts
As a test, pull the fuel pump relay out and jumper the holes where pins 30 and 87 go with a piece of #14 wire. If the car starts, then (probably) the relay has died.

BTW, what does a non-running car sound like when the timing is off?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my mistake

I maybe meant to say cranked it over. Hard to explain. the best to describe not a smooth turn over.

·
Registered
31 Posts
fuel pump or relay most likely. start with the relay and then check the pump. when you turn the ignition on do you hear the fuel pump hum for about 2 seconds? if not...there is your problem. If your timing chain broke you would know. It makes a horrible sound as the valves hit the pistons. If you want to know for sure take off one of the valve covers or with a small mirror and light look from the oil cap. If you only see sprocket and no chain...your engine has been grenaded

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fuel pump relay???

:bowdown:
I had that symptom once in my '81 380. There I was, a warm summer morning, pulling onto the Wilson Bri...!

Long story short. Four hours later, it started right up. The fuel relay was then replaced and (knock wood) it never happened again.
81 380sl. I have removed the right kick panel and have exposed several relays and to my suprise a glass fuse. Can anyone list what relays are to what especially the fuel pump relay.
Once someone has pointed it out to me can anyone tell me how to test it? origionally I posted that the car ran then ran poorly like it was out of gas and then finally died. I had it towed home and the next day it started back up but still runs poor(no power, bogs). Any suggestions?
ps what is there a glass fuse doing hidden behind the kick panel? I will be glad to post a pic if it is not standard:surrender:

·
Registered
84' 500 Sl , 2013 W221 S 350 Petrol
180 Posts
to me it seems that its electrical problem only.
just like you have been told, check the fuel pump relay.
i had a very similar issue, my car would start fine when the car is cold.
but after some time, it will start cutting off. just like its running out of petrol, then it will stop, and never to start again, unless it cooles down.
and it was the trigger box.
when replaced, it all went fine
good luck

·
Registered
1982 SL 380, 2001 325i, 2003 Toyota Highlander
30 Posts
:bowdown:

81 380sl. I have removed the right kick panel and have exposed several relays and to my suprise a glass fuse. Can anyone list what relays are to what especially the fuel pump relay.
Once someone has pointed it out to me can anyone tell me how to test it? origionally I posted that the car ran then ran poorly like it was out of gas and then finally died. I had it towed home and the next day it started back up but still runs poor(no power, bogs). Any suggestions?
ps what is there a glass fuse doing hidden behind the kick panel? I will be glad to post a pic if it is not standard:surrender:
It's not in the right kick panel - check behind the glove box by removing the cover under it.

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,298 Posts
Remove the glove box. Two or three fasteners and you get best access.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
It's not in the right kick panel - check behind the glove box by removing the cover under it.
digmenow said:
Remove the glove box. Two or three fasteners and you get best access.
They're both wrong. Remove the passenger side fender and sneak up on it from behind. It'll never know what hit it.

·
Registered
1998 SL500, 1959 220S, 1970 280SL
778 Posts
I've had my meds today, unlike some of the previous posters. I advise you to remove the under-dash panel and look for a large black relay above the "ice cubes" up by the firewall. You can ID it by the large red/black/white wire leading to it.

A glass fuse is no big deal, the fit and they come in the correct amperages.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts