Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I bought my '94 S500 sedan, it came with a phone cradle installed on the upper right interior hump of the transmission. And it seemed irrelevant without a phone.

After a lot of research I discovered that it was a Nokia MCC-1 cradle installed with Nokia Cark-91 accessories and was compatible with a Nokia 6310i cellular
2g phone.

I found a 6310i on eBay from a seller in Hong Kong. It has the MB logo and "Mercedes-Benz" embossed in a gold, silver, black- edged background. Nicely ornamental. "Made in Germany" is embossed on the side.

I inserted my Sim card from another Nokia phone, charged the battery and tested the performance by making and receiving a few calls. I was pleasantly surprised by the hands free feature and the speaker-microphone which is located in the foot well of the passenger side. There is also a outside rear window antenna which enhances reception. There are other features such as Blue Tooth synchronization and some that I am still trying to figure out. If the stereo is on, an incoming call mutes the stereo. The battery is charged in the cradle.

My research reveals that the Cark-91 was more of a European and Asian favorite. Popular from '02-05 and still used and respected. Some say that the Nokia 6310i is the best phone that Nokia has made.

Whatever, the original owner of the vehicle spent a lot of cash installing the Cark-91. I understand that the dash has to be removed to install all of the components.

I end with a question about this oldie but goodie: Do any of you W140 owners have this Nokia Cark-91 installed, and further if you do, is there an upgrade to the system? Any other useful advice you can give me to enjoy the use of this feature?
---------
The point of living and being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come. Peter Ustinov

·
Registered
505 Posts
Could you post some pictures of the set up.

I also have a phone cradle, but I think mine is made for an ericsoon gh****.
I have microphones installed on the drivers side, passenger side, rear left passenger side, also I have a small cradle type thing on the driver side seat at the back, made probably for a smaller phone. I also have the speaker in the front passenger footwell. Still looking for a phone, to see if it works :)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you post some pictures of the set up.

I also have a phone cradle, but I think mine is made for an ericsoon gh****.
I have microphones installed on the drivers side, passenger side, rear left passenger side, also I have a small cradle type thing on the driver side seat at the back, made probably for a smaller phone. I also have the speaker in the front passenger footwell. Still looking for a phone, to see if it works :)
Sorry my friend, I am not equipped yet to post pictures. But just Google "Nokia MCC-1" and "Nokia Cark-91." You'll find information, pictures etc., there.
Also look at the back side of the cradle. There should be a Model number etc.
Since you live in Europe, I would not be at all surprised that you have a version of MCC-1. It was widely used there.

·
4,773 Posts
now that you mentioned it, I actually had a Nokia base unit and brain...I didnt realize it could have worked on the W140 and I just tossed everything else and kept the goose neck

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
now that you mentioned it, I actually had a Nokia base unit and brain...I didnt realize it could have worked on the W140 and I just tossed everything else and kept the goose neck
What did you with the goose neck? Did you take out the hard -wired stuff of the Cark-91 by removing the brains of system in back of the glove box and somewhere in the dash? But this is assuming that it was already installed. Was it?
Did you replace with a another--a simple cell phone for example?
I still live in the electronic stone age and the younger generation would say to me (I think) "Get with it old man, get something newer for your Benz." But my answer is that I like old stuff that still works and does pretty much the same thing as newer stuff--make and receive phone calls.

Yup, you probably had the same phone system that I've posted.
Thanks for your statement...perhaps many others have done the same as you. Would be interesting to know.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Was this an aftermarket option? I have the Motorola factory equipped phone option that was built into the armrest, along with the mic built into the headliner. Was this phone a better alternative to the Motorola's that were being installed at the time? Just curious if anyone knows.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Was this an aftermarket option? I have the Motorola factory equipped phone option that was built into the armrest, along with the mic built into the headliner. Was this phone a better alternative to the Motorola's that were being installed at the time? Just curious if anyone knows.
Interesting question.

I think we'd need the input of Europeans and Asians about this. Were those Motorola factory model analogs usable in those territories? Were they installed in the exports to those countries?

I don't know when the digital stuff replaced the analog cellulars such as the Motorola, but in the U.S. I have read somewhere that much to the chagrin of Mercedes owners those Motorolas became useless around '99. Nokia introduced this phone, 6310i in 2002 and discontinued it in late 2005.

But I do think that the hard -wired Nokia digital base system was an after-market product not only with Mercedes in mind but also Volvo, especially in Europe and Asia.

Just yapping away here hoping someone who knows can answer your question

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i have a 6310i in black/gold, i keep it as a spare backup phone and swap sims if needed.

i worked for ATT when that phone was introduced in the USA...it was, even to this day, the most solid and reliable phone ever made. you cant kill it, it wont die. battery lasts days with normal use.

its like the W140 of cellphones in terms of solid reliability

the nokia carkits were always after market installations at least here in the states.

analog being the original cell carrier technology it was used around the world, until TDMA and GSM came into the marketplace. GSM was the primary digital tech in europe. TDMA was mainly a US thing, and lots of other countries mainly south america, africa. Asia was also heavy GSM and CDMA.

analog died about 10-11 years ago as a primary option and was rarely offered. Carriers in the US started to phase out the sale of analog at around that time and focused on digital. 2001 ATT started migrating to GSM as TDMA had no upgradable data abilities. CDMA was kicking ATTs ass and GSM was the easiest upgrade due to certain compatibilties to TDMA somehow IIRC. Analog was required by law to be operable until 2 or so years ago, carriers stopped activating analog period around 2006.
so in reality, if you have a CDMA phone with upgradable OTA PRL abilities (IE *228 option 2 for verizon) you can activate it on verizon wireless, or other regional CDMA carriers. Sprint will not allow it as the ESN will not be in their data base. metro pcs or cricket may require a special reflash but dont count on it.
A GSM system would be best as a sim card is a sim card, GSM in the USA uses 2 main voice frequencies and therefore will work on any GSM NA network. quad band is required for full international capabilities. EDGE data speeds will be the best you can get but we are only looking at voice here anyways for the vehicle purposes.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Many thanks for your informative input. I was looking for somebody who has a background in this.

I use Cingular as my carrier. No problems. I think I'll get another 6310i as a spare. They aren't easy to come by with the Mercedes logo on them. The seller in Hong Kong has 6 left at $24.00 and $19.00 shipping--takes 12 days to arrive.

Many, many thanks Tackleberry.

·
Registered
403 Posts
5 years ago it might have been worth the effort to replace the built-in phone. But today wouldn't it be better to just replace the sound system's head unit with one that supports bluetooth? That's how all modern cars support hands free phone.

Even better, pick a head unit that also has GPS navigation.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
5 years ago it might have been worth the effort to replace the built-in phone. But today wouldn't it be better to just replace the sound system's head unit with one that supports bluetooth? That's how all modern cars support hands free phone.

Even better, pick a head unit that also has GPS navigation.
You are right, but in my case since the unit was already installed, it is prudent that I go with it. All I want to do is to make and receive calls infrequently or in an emergency.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Slightly off topic I have to agree the old Nokia's are the best. I just bought a Nokia E7 and it is crap. Going back for a full refund, as the reception is terrible - way more dropped calls than a blackberry.

I'm considering the Nokia N9 as its polycarb body is supposedly better for reception than metal. But not sure? Up on my mountain I need to improve reception. Samsung S2 sounds good, but its so thin and light - makes a Ford Focus look well built. As for i phone, I just can't bring myself to do it. The iphone is the anti W140...

May just buy an old unlocked Nokia 6620. At least it works as a phone.... jeez, is that too much to ask of a smart phone???

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Rich I have a Sammy galaxy 2 4g and while it is light its very solid. I love it and honesty it seems like the first phone that ill keep for more than 6 months. I go a week with no need to reboot. I still reboot weekly but I don't even have to.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Tack - thanks for that, that's helpful...

Do you mean this phone?

Samsung Galaxy S 2 In Depth Review | jRin.net

If that's it, I may well buy it... - I like that phone as the screen is large and you can voice dictate texts and e mails really easily.
That one is actually better than mine as it has the better processor. While mine is clocked faster the exenyos blows mine away. Mine does have a larger screen tho. I never use the voice stuff as for me it never works well and it ends up being a total waste of time.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
You said it!!! Those voice recognition text softwares never normally work right, but when the T mobile guy showed me his, it just worked incredibly well... perfectly...

Changing subject - getting time for me to leave the pub (I only drink tea) and drive up the long hill in the snow and ice with all 4 studs. If I post again tonight, I made it home...

If no more posts tonight then I either crashed (= should have bought the studless Nokians!!) or I'm just fast asleep in the (heated!) W126 in a snow drift somewhere, which would be fine with me - I love the cold - just went swimming tonight well after dark in western Canada. Air temperature 31 F....! It felt incredible, but I fell over walking out of the ocean as my body began to lose some of it's co-ordination abilities... Still it felt incredible.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Just to throw some light on the car phone in my layman's understanding.

To my knowledge the US was the only country which got the in dash phone that we all see in the sunglasses holder or whatever you want to call that cubbyhole in the dash.

The reason being is that the US was mainly CDMA when the W140 was in production. In Europe, Asia and just about everywhere else we use GSM or a combination of both. In the US now there are both CDMA and GSM networks, which would explain why this phone of yours is working.

I've seen the Cark - 91 in a few W220's in the standard MB phone cradle - are you saying you've got the MB cradle in the W140? That's pretty nifty.

I was surprised, we hosted a group of Americans here recently and they could not get their Verizon phones to work with 3G here in NZ. Turns our the frequencies are different for 3G.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts