Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just received a Car Parts Discount HT Hoist as a gift, and would like to ask if anyone here is using this hoist.

I can't seem to mount the bar on the gutter of my 560. From what I can tell, the insulation on the clamp pieces is too thick, and the inside clamp cannot fit down into the rain gutter. This prevents the outer piece of the clamp from dropping down low enough to engage underneath the rain gutter. I took just the inside piece loose, and still could not get the piece to fit down into the gutter. I believe that, if I were to strip away the insulation, it would fit. Of course, removing the insulation would allow metal to metal contact on the gutter, and would liely eliminate being able to return the unit.

Before I go any further, I thought I would solicit this group for its input.

Pictures to follow...

Attachments

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
1,126 Posts
I have the same one. I removed the inside plastic sleeve and replaced it with electrical tape and will later dip it in liquid plastic/rubber which should be thin enough to fit inside the gutter rail. The drip rail on the car seems to be able to manage the weight of the top quite well.

The liquid rubber/plastic was recommended by the company and they are aware of the problem but don't seem to be paying any attention to the need to have a thinner rubber sleeve.

·
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
...I removed the inside plastic sleeve and replaced it with electrical tape and will later dip it in liquid plastic/rubber which should be thin enough to fit inside the gutter rail. The drip rail on the car seems to be able to manage the weight of the top quite well...
Thanks for the reply. I have attached pics, and it is just like you experienced. At first blush, I thought, "...cut away insulation and replace with heat-shrink..."

So you advised them of the poor fit? Did you hear back from them? Any idea who made this thing?

The instructions that came with it are piss-poor. Text only, and no pics/drawings... Everyone knows I gotta have pics/dwgs!!!

How do you use the supplemental strap?

Another thing I noticed, is that the angle in the inner clamp piece looks to sharp...

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
It's supposed to go to the front of the top, to manage front to rear movement.

·
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's supposed to go to the front of the top, to manage front to rear movement.
Best I can tell, it hooks on the rear pin, and on the front two locks... I suppose it goes OVER the bar (obviously). Do you thread it thru the eye on the bar? It is shaped like a "Y", with sewn loops on the front end, and a plastic triangle on the rear end. I would think safety ropes from the ceiling would be better.

I also got the cover included in the gift from relatives...

·
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One problem solved. I was able to slip the rubber/plastic sleeve off the inner clamp piece without damage. I guess I'll tape for now, and get some heat-shrink and try that (the pieces I had were not quite large enough to slip over the clamp).

Second modification I will have to make is to the bracket supplied to hang the hoist. My garage truss is built of 2x8 joists and 2x6 rafters. I guess I'll mount up a piece of 2x4 with spacers, to hang their supplied bracket.

2x4 joists??? I guess I'll never get used to "modern" construction techniques!

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,353 Posts
Speaking of dubious gifts ...
Instead of giving my ungrateful nephew another useless present this Christmas, I ordered from World Vision 2 hens and 2 roosters to be sent to a third world family. The idea is that they can eventually raise a flock, for a steady supply of eggs and meat.

The concept is splendid, but I have two nagging doubts:

1) What's the chances a hungry family will take the long view? Chicken stew today or eggs next week?
2) Has women's lib taken over the barnyard too? There was a time one rooster could service ten or twenty hens. Now they probably have to share nesting duties.

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,161 Posts
There was a time one rooster could service ten or twenty hens. Now they probably have to share nesting duties.

Which reminds me of the really old joke about two bulls standing on a hill overlooking a herd of cows.
Young bull says "lets run down there and breed a couple of cows."
Old bull replies "lets walk down there and breed them all!"

·
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HIJACK ALERT!!!

Didn't even make it to 10 posts... :)

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
1,126 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have attached pics, and it is just like you experienced. At first blush, I thought, "...cut away insulation and replace with heat-shrink..."

So you advised them of the poor fit? Did you hear back from them? Any idea who made this thing?

The instructions that came with it are piss-poor. Text only, and no pics/drawings... Everyone knows I gotta have pics/dwgs!!!

Another thing I noticed, is that the angle in the inner clamp piece looks to sharp...
Here are my comments to CarPartsDiscount:

Thank you for the information. We have forwarded the information onto the development people. In regards to how low the hoist goes, the rooftop is generally supposed to be attached to the lift while it is still on the vehicle. We do not recommend storing the top on the ground.

If the rubbers are too large to fit, we suggest trying Performix Plasti Dip (http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip). This would still create the tight seal, as electrical tape can wear away over time.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call our office, and one of our associates can assist you.

--
Car Parts Discount
Customer Support
(888) 437-4272
(805) 520-2690
M-F 8am-5pm PST/PDT

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 4:09 PM, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Everything arrived on time and is exactly what I ordered.

The only thing that I might comment on relates to the product itself, not your company or service.

I had to replace the 30 foot rope with a 70 footer. My garage is 10 feet high and my top is sitting on the floor, ready to be lifted up but due to the length of the rope, the hoist would only come down to about 5 feet from the floor. In my case I also use additional pulleys to guide the rope across the ceiling and down to the cleat which is by far the best way to install the unit. The other thing is that the clamp didn't fit behind the drip rail the way it's supposed to. The only way I could get it to fit was to remove the rubber protector and replace it with a much thinner layer of electrical tape.

Perhaps you might want to pass these comments on to the manufacturer

-------End of Question and Response------------------------------------------

In addition, where you say that the angle is too sharp, if you slide the bracket out to the furthest extent of the bar where it hits the stop you will find that the angle is just right.

This top was made to fit the 113 models and just adopted to the 107, and perhaps that's why they didn't change the thickness of the rubber sleeve.

·
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Suspended

She's a' hangin'! Temporarily for now, as I have not decided the placement is exactly where I want it. Still, one-handed removal was too cool!

Working on a safety system that will be easily deployed, and positively prevent falling. Got the design in my head, and prelim measurements are on paper.

Pics maybe later...

Good piece of gear. I recommend (that is, after the rain gutter clamps are slightly modified...) it to all who wish to use their hard top more frequently than the day you bought it, and the day you sell it.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,536 Posts
Am I missing something if I was thinking of:
- slipping the plastic/rubber off the inner side of the brackets
- running the metal ends through the grinding wheel a few times to shorten it
- put the plastic/rubber back on

Sounds like a 10 minute modification if the plastic/rubber cover comes off easily. I don't know because it's just a picture.

I'm probably missing something.

·
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Am I missing something if I was thinking of:
- slipping the plastic/rubber off the inner side of the brackets
- running the metal ends through the grinding wheel a few times to shorten it
- put the plastic/rubber back on

Sounds like a 10 minute modification if the plastic/rubber cover comes off easily. I don't know because it's just a picture.

I'm probably missing something.
Easier than that...
Plastic did slip off rather easily. Couple wraps of electrical tape and Viola!

Can't shorten, like suggested above... Otherwise it will not clamp the gutter. Gotta thin the insulation is all.

I was reticent in modifying the thing in case a return was necessary, Since the plastic insulation slipped off rather easily, no real modification is necessary.

It also was much easier to analyze sober....!

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,536 Posts

^ Nail, meet hammer.
Nobody on this forum will want to buy my car after hearing my approach to metal parts that don't fit right. My car's not even roadworthy, but I've already taken at least one part to the grinding wheel.

My car is definitely not returnable.

I wish that "rock, paper, scissors" game was "hammer, nail, finger". Hammer would win every time!

I hadn't even thought of taking the plastic to the grinding wheel.

And if that doesn't work, you can always take your hardtop to the grinding wheel too.

·
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BTW: I'm not sure what to say about that.
A picture is worth a thousand words...

I took lfedje's advice and added an extra block to move the line away from the car, and provide for a more vertical pull. The other ropes you see are temporary and there for safety.

Attachments

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
That contraption looks worse than the one they had me hooked up to in the hospital

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,536 Posts
Wow. These things always sound easier than they look. Don't they? Those new retractible hardtop cars sure sound nice when you look at something like this.

·
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow. These things always sound easier than they look. Don't they? Those new retractible hardtop cars sure sound nice when you look at something like this.
The hell of it is I like driving this car with the HT on, almost as much as with it off, so I have been wanting a way to install/remove by myself for some time.

My AR tendencies lead me to extremes at times... I am not satisfied leaving the top suspended by the hoist alone. I am sure there are those who do without a second thought.

For $120.00, it is not too bad a piece of gear...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts