Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2010 S550 4Matic
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey I have been noticing latley that when i clean my car there are alot of swerl marks what do you guys recommend using for this since my car is black i notice alot just wondering what you all use and also what kinda Wax do you guys use on your cars

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
Do a search for Zaino. They make a complete range of products. Their polish is the best that I've used in 40+ years.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
Do a search for Zaino. They make a complete range of products. Their polish is the best that I've used in 40+ years.
Totally agree. (Though, in my case, it's not 40+ years. LOL). I also use a Porter Cable random orbital polisher (#7336SP) when needed.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
I just finished washing my car. I gave it a couple coats of Zaino last June and the water still beads up beautifully. I'm planning on giving it a couple more coats in a week or two.

PS. It may be common but I sure like my Iridium Silver. It looks clean even when it's dusty.

·
Registered
SLK 280 2007, C180 Cgi estate 2011
126 Posts
A friend has a dark blue Mazda MX5 with some swirl marks and we found that Autoglym "Ultra Deep Shine" did a really good job of reducing them with a simple and safe hand polish. Gives a very nice finish too. For the light paint on ny Cubanite/Pewter SLK I use Autoglym's classic "Super Resin Polish" in the morning, let it set for a while, and then add a coat of Turtle's "Gloss Guard" in the afternoon. Amazing results!

·
Registered
2008 SLK 280
22 Posts
Folks that are experienced with the Porter.....

I have been applying an acrylic glaze (Klasse) to our SLK and have been getting top notch results. However, buffing off the glaze after it dries usually results in a need for massage therapy for the next few days. Can I use the Porter for buffing without being concerned that it will imbed swirl marks?

·
Registered
RHD C200K Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
451 Posts
Folks that are experienced with the Porter.....

I have been applying an acrylic glaze (Klasse) to our SLK and have been getting top notch results. However, buffing off the glaze after it dries usually results in a need for massage therapy for the next few days. Can I use the Porter for buffing without being concerned that it will imbed swirl marks?
Porters a pretty nice (and since it's orbital, in theory safe) way to finish things off. I'm a Zaino fan, and I'm starting to feel the pain the day after as well - got a friend who swears by 'em, and I figure I'll give it a shot next week.... :surrender:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with all of the advice above. You DEFINITELY want to use a machine polisher to do the job. Don't worry, it's safe and the Porter Cable is the best compromise for cost, ease of use, and results. In addition to Zaino, you may want to consider BLACKFIRE products at Car Waxes, Car Polishes, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers, Car Care Supplies, Car Covers, Car Accessories from Classic Motoring Accessories. I just completed the Fire over Ice treatment on my iridium silver AMG and it is awesome. Finally, for the best advice and forum on detailing, check out Detailing - 6speedonline.com Forums.

Happy polishing, and don't forget the clay!!!!

·
Registered
2008 SLK 280
22 Posts
Okay, you guys talked me into it. I'm going to order the Porter 7424 online today. Sheesh! Between this forum and my favorite motorcycle forum, my checking account definitely gets some exercise! And everytime I buy one of these toys it ends up costing me a boquet of roses for the Mrs.... its definitely not cheap!

·
Registered
08 C300 4Matic 07 SLK55
16 Posts
Had the same issue with my black 07 SLK55 I just got 2 weeks ago.

Very easy fix----had to clay a couple of areas first very lightly

Meguiars Ultra Cut

Meguiars Show Car Glaze

Meguiars Hi Tek 2.0 Wax

Now it looks like liquid black glass----flawless and deep!!!

·
Registered
2007 SLK350, Storm Red, Premium 1 Pkg, Bi-Xenon Lights, Heated Seats, Airscarf
81 Posts
To prevent the swirls in the first place, I always hand wash my car and blow dry with
a Toro Electric Leaf Blower. Sure, the neighbors laugh and point, but their dark cars
all have swirl marks !!

Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Instead of the leaf blower, try out a CR Spotless De-Ionized Water System (DIC-20). Best place to buy is Costco. You attach it to your hose and you get pure DI water. You wash as normal then rinse. It takes about 1 minute to rinse an SLK and your have ABSOLUTELY no spots, and no swirl marks. It's magic!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a fan of the Mr. Clean system and have used it for years. the only issue is that to achieve the spotless results, you really have to use their polymeric detergent. This stuff leaves a thin film after rinsing that dulls the finish and leaves a film on the glass. With the CR Spotless DI unit, you can use any car wash detergent you like and then flood the car surface with DI water (it's just like using water from the tap) with no loss of pressure or flow (like Mr. Clean)
IMHO, Mr. Clean is a HUGE improvement over hand drying. But, it's not nearly as good as the CR Spotless. Costco sells the unit at about a $75 discount 2 or 3 times per year. I know it's still pricey, but you spent $70K on the car......

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
27 Posts
BTWI will probably get flamed for this, but as an experienced professional (paid for a service) I have had the best results removing swirl marks from black or red is by using a milwalkee variable speed polisher with Liquid Ebony microfine abrasive polish (3M has a compareable abrasive). After the polish I use Harley Wax paste carnuba wax. If you do not know how to handle a high speed polisher an orbitlal buffer although slower is more suited for the DIY'er. Centerline Wheels gave 6,000 USD to use this technique on a black B'mer in order to make it camera ready.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts