Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
w210 E320 2001, BMW E34 1991, w124 E300
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday, when i tried to turn the engine on, it didn't work at all, the car died, no sound at all, only the gauges moves.( the battery is in good condition)
later at night when i tried again, the car start working, i asked my friend, he told me it could be the batteries of the key or the computer system of the car.
i changed the battery but i am really afraid from the second option due to the high cost of changing the computer

any idea, what this can be ?

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 1998 E320 - 160,000 Miles Strong
215 Posts
yesterday, when i tried to turn the engine on, it didn't work at all, the car died, no sound at all, only the gauges moves.( the battery is in good condition)
later at night when i tried again, the car start working, i asked my friend, he told me it could be the batteries of the key or the computer system of the car.
i changed the battery but i am really afraid from the second option due to the high cost of changing the computer

any idea, what this can be ?
Check the alternator. Check for any codes

Also the key fob doesn't need any batteries to turn the car on

·
Registered
1999 E320 190,000 miles sold 97 E320 288,000
64 Posts
If you have another key - try that one. I have one key that has a problem starting the car sometimes (more of a delay), which I think is due to the chip/electronics in the key (separate from the system that opens the car locks)

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Trying a duplicate key has merit!!

However to clarify, when you insert the key do you hear any noise in the shift column and are you able to move the key to the various positions??

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Gauges or lights are no indication that the battery is good. On these cars you do NOT get a slow crank if voltage is low, the computer just bluntly refuse to allow the engine to crank.
To determine if the battery is good, you must do a load test, not just a static measurement of the voltage.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
In addition to Kobus' sound advice, check the ground strap for the engine, be sure it's not corroded out and remove the connections and hit them with some steel wool and resecure to make sure you have a good ground.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for your help:

Spadwaller: no codes related to the problem , i have only 0140 and 0410
deserte320: i dont have anther key, how can i get another one? is it expensive?
Plutoe: yes , i can move the key to various positions.
kobus: i checked the voltage of the battery using the climate control, it gives me 13.5 ( engine running)
gregs210: i have no clue where is the the ground strap for the engine located?

Thank you again and i really appreciate your help

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,583 Posts
The key is expensive to replace.
If its not the key it will be the EIS...hope it isn't.

Clean the end of the key. The key and the EIS correspond with each other through the end of the key.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The key is expensive to replace.
If its not the key it will be the EIS...hope it isn't.

Clean the end of the key. The key and the EIS correspond with each other through the end of the key.
what is the EIS? ( i think it is something like "electronic ignition system"??)
Is it easy to replace it? expensive?

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
If when you place the key in the ignition and you hear a slight noise and able to move the key to the start position and nothing happens------------I would then check what is called the K40 board located under the hood on the passenger side, large lid with four screws-------its located with all the control modules---it has fuses and stuff on it, check all the fuses.

While under the hood also check all the fuses on the drivers side.

Make sure the key is NOT in the ignition.

Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts