Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 GL 450. After coming back from a 2 week vacation, I noticed that the car was sitting lower, mostly on the right side.

After starting the car, the car did raise up ...... but now the right side seems to be about 1.5 to 2 inches lower. Before I left, it was fine.

A month before I left, I had the right front Air Shock replaced. Shortly after, I began to get the AIRMATIC symbol popping up ... but the car did stay level and function properly.

Is there something that affects the level of the car? Maybe it will "reset" as I return to using it?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I would check the airline connection at that shock first to make sure there are no leaks. Did you perform a ride height adjustment after that shock was replaced? If it’s not a leak it could be your level sensor as well. Is it just the front right sagging, or the whole right side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the whole right side. Before I changed the air shock , it was only the front right.

But now the air is not leaking, it's just slightly tilted ..... and only after sitting for 2 weeks. The driveway is slightly sloped upward with the front of the car facing the upward slope.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks james!

But , wouldn't it leak out and go all the way down? That's what made me change the strut.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
It could be leaking past that in the system. Could even be leaking at the air spring. There are some other saved discussions here that will guide you doing a leak check with soapy water.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The best place to look for air leaks is at the front bumper side of the car. I cant really detail it to you but you have to look for whats called the air valve module. Its basically the piece of the entire air system that distributes air to all your airbags. This piece has 6 air hoses attached to it and when a few of them have leaks than it will cause your car to sag. Its not a major issue and its also not a costly issue. You got to get a flash light, find the 6 air hoses connected to the module, spray soapy water and listen to it bubble. If you see two fittings bubble, than its only two air fittings you need to replace. Check my posts i have talked about it in my repairs

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The best place to look for air leaks is at the front bumper side of the car. I cant really detail it to you but you have to look for whats called the air valve module. Its basically the piece of the entire air system that distributes air to all your airbags. This piece has 6 air hoses attached to it and when a few of them have leaks than it will cause your car to sag. Its not a major issue and its also not a costly issue. You got to get a flash light, find the 6 air hoses connected to the module, spray soapy water and listen to it bubble. If you see two fittings bubble, than its only two air fittings you need to replace. Check my posts i have talked about it in my repairs

Thanks! But if it has leaks, wouldn't it sag all the way down? I had that then replaced a strut. Now it holds air, just not level

·
Registered
63 Posts
The air valve module is also called the solenoid valve or valve block. It costs about $500 at the MB dealership. You probably need to replace it.
If it is bad, you risk destroying your entire suspension system. A tiny piece of dirt could destroy it, especially if you have not changed the little
compressor air filter in a while. The compressor will suck up dirt and it travels to the valve block and you are done. It happened to me.

This is what I did - Mercedes Dealership style - I replaced the valve block, the compressor, 2 front struts and 2 rear air springs, all 4 level sensors and the compressor filter.
It may sound expensive (or even stupid) but that's probably the only way to resolve this issue. Some auto parts stores offer lifetime warranty on all those parts, so
you will never have to pay for them again. That's why Mercedes charge so much. They simply replace everything because they don't want you to come back and complain.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The air valve module is also called the solenoid valve or valve block. It costs about $500 at the MB dealership. You probably need to replace it.
If it is bad, you risk destroying your entire suspension system. A tiny piece of dirt could destroy it, especially if you have not changed the little
compressor air filter in a while. The compressor will suck up dirt and it travels to the valve block and you are done. It happened to me.

This is what I did - Mercedes Dealership style - I replaced the valve block, the compressor, 2 front struts and 2 rear air springs, all 4 level sensors and the compressor filter.
It may sound expensive (or even stupid) but that's probably the only way to resolve this issue. Some auto parts stores offer lifetime warranty on all those parts, so
you will never have to pay for them again. That's why Mercedes charge so much. They simply replace everything because they don't want you to come back and complain.
Thanks! When I bought the car a little over a year ago, the compressor and front left strut was changed by the dealer. I changed the front right last month.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hold on a minute.

Have you been able to get a diagnosis or have you yourself been able to spray soapy water on the valve block thats behind the radiator. You should be able to see it. Sagging doesn’t mean you have a bad strut, but you cant rule that out. Although, before ruling a sagging car a strut problem, lets first rule out air leaks on the air lines. I just replaced the air line that connects the air block valve to the air compressor. That leak alone allowed air to creep out when the car was idle. The air line and the connector fittings cost me about $35 without installation at the Mb dealer. I also replaced 4 other connection fittings on the air block valve that went to air bags/struts and to an air tank. Those fittings i found on eBay for about 30 each because they come prepared and ready to install if you’re a DIYer. I didn’t need to replace the air valve block, i could have if i wanted to, but the air leaks don’t come from the air block itself, they come from the fittings that hold the plastic air lines. Very easy to troubleshoot yourself with soapy water. These minor leaks can cause the car to sag oddly depending on what hose is leaking. I spent 280 for a mechanic to do the install of the parts i mentioned.

And btw, perhaps one reason i feel comfortable replacing individual items instead of replacing major components is because the mechanic i use has a Snap On computer that allows him to calibrate and test the entire air system. If he acknowledges the system is working well, than I’m a happy customer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hold on a minute.

Have you been able to get a diagnosis or have you yourself been able to spray soapy water on the valve block thats behind the radiator. You should be able to see it. Sagging doesn’t mean you have a bad strut, but you cant rule that out. Although, before ruling a sagging car a strut problem, lets first rule out air leaks on the air lines. I just replaced the air line that connects the air block valve to the air compressor. That leak alone allowed air to creep out when the car was idle. The air line and the connector fittings cost me about $35 without installation at the Mb dealer. I also replaced 4 other connection fittings on the air block valve that went to air bags/struts and to an air tank. Those fittings i found on eBay for about 30 each because they come prepared and ready to install if you’re a DIYer. I didn’t need to replace the air valve block, i could have if i wanted to, but the air leaks don’t come from the air block itself, they come from the fittings that hold the plastic air lines. Very easy to troubleshoot yourself with soapy water. These minor leaks can cause the car to sag oddly depending on what hose is leaking. I spent 280 for a mechanic to do the install of the parts i mentioned.

And btw, perhaps one reason i feel comfortable replacing individual items instead of replacing major components is because the mechanic i use has a Snap On computer that allows him to calibrate and test the entire air system. If he acknowledges the system is working well, than I’m a happy customer.

I know a retired Benz Dealer mechanic who is going to run diagnostics on it for me soon.

I haven't tested for leaks. It's actually stayed at the same level ... just tilted a bit to one side.

What happens is I start the car ............ I hear what sounds like to compressor run for a bit .... then stop, and then I get the AIRMATIC symbol pop up . I recently had my right front strut replaces by a regular mechanic. Maybe it wasn't installed properly.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
He may not have replaced the nipple fitting when replacing the strut or a number of other things. That alone can cause a leak

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He may not have replaced the nipple fitting when replacing the strut or a number of other things. That alone can cause a leak

But wouldn't the car level eventually go flat? That's what happened before I changed the strut.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know a retired Benz Dealer mechanic who is going to run diagnostics on it for me soon.

I haven't tested for leaks. It's actually stayed at the same level ... just tilted a bit to one side.

What happens is I start the car ............ I hear what sounds like to compressor run for a bit .... then stop, and then I get the AIRMATIC symbol pop up . I recently had my right front strut replaces by a regular mechanic. Maybe it wasn't installed properly.
You got a minor leak. No need to worry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts