Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2002 e320
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did an internet search and found a 2 post car lift with 9000 lb capacity for $1499 plus shipping. Can anyone advise me if this is a good thing to have for DIY jobs under the car? Paul

·
Registered
'02 E320 4matic Wagon
326 Posts
The lift is one thing, the garage is another. You have the height to use a lift? What about the flooring? You would need a thick pad under the lift posts that the lift needs to be bolted to.
I would love one, just cant do it in my garage.

·
Registered
2002 e320
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to hear from anyone who has a lift. I do some work on the car now(plugs, oil change, transmission fluid change), but I think I would do more and with greater ease if I have one of these. My garage has a 10 foot ceiling which I think should be adequate. The big question for me is reliability and safety. I would not get one if it might quit working or drop the car.
Paul

·
Registered
'02 E320 4matic Wagon
326 Posts
Of course they make servicing easy, but like I said, with a 2 post you need to have the right concrete floor. 10' ceiling is not that high and you wont be able to stand under the car (or at least I could never).
For home use, 4 posts are more common, since you can also use them to double stack cars for storage (easy on/off). Downside is that you still have to jack the car to get the wheels off, which you would need a special center trolley jack for.
Also, IMHO stay away from made in China lifts, as my life is worth a little extra money for the made in USA logo.

·
Registered
96 E-320, 91 190E, various and sundry Euro and American vehicles
12,141 Posts
The floor can be cut with a concrete saw and redone. Check required specs for doing so with the mfgr. I'm an architect by trade. Proper piers will likely be needed OR proper floor thickness. For piers, consider most ground (check your own) meets 2500lbs Per square foot of capacity. Depth must be deep enough to take care of lateral movements.

Hard to tell safety of a specific lift without details.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,340 Posts
You can get lifts designed for an 8ft home garage height. They are said to be portable, but do still need anchors in the floor. Height under car is about 4ft.

I would love to have one of these, but can't justify it for the amount of work I do. Just pay my local garage when something needs to be done under car, or jack her up and crawl under :(

Princess Auto | Car Hoists by Danmar

·
Registered
2002 e320
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
scottx: Why not in the home garage? The dannmar one is portable and can be stored out of the way. Why is the 2 post model worse for the floor?
I think I can afford the $2000 price tag for the 2 post one. If I do most of my own maintenance it will pay for itself in a year or two.Paul

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic, 2007 R320 CDI, 2012 E63 P30, 2013 SLK250
440 Posts
With a two post, all the weight of the car is being supported by the two posts and driven down to the concrete at those two relatively small areas, hence the need for thicker stronger concrete. A four post distributes the same weight to four points as opposed to two.
-Robert

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,584 Posts
I don't have one, but a forum member (different forum) has one. He removed my exhaust box very easily, repaired it and replaced it.

It was a two post lift...just the job, go for it.

This guy also has one. Long thread about building a garage...but interesting:

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=66147

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
Your home/life/auto insurance will exclude the liability with such DIY construction.

·
Registered
2002 e320
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I posted the question because I do not have any personal experience with car lifts (either 2 or 4 post) and want to do due diligence before I buy one. I am still in the stage of deciding if is a good idea. I love working on the car but I have not been thrilled with the amount of clearance I can get using Rhino ramps. If the car was even 3 or 4 feet off the ground I could do things so much easier.Thanks for the input.Paul

·
Registered
2002 e320
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mbvis: Lots of car crashes on that website. Is it safe to even drive a car?

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic, 2007 R320 CDI, 2012 E63 P30, 2013 SLK250
440 Posts
Paul, sorry if I wasn't clear. I didn't mean that I didn't understand why the question was posted. I was only referring to the question of 2 vs 4 post lifts. IMO for the typical home setup, given the option, 4 posts are always safer and easier to work with since you are not as limited by floor thickness or the need to anchor the lift. Many 4 posts do not require anchoring.
-R

·
Registered
99 C280
233 Posts
True, some 4 post lifts do not require anchoring, but it is in your best interest to anchor the lift. The MaxJax lift also requires anchoring. The beauty of the system is, it can be removed, leaving just the anchors in the concrete. Not trying to promote the site I mentioned earlier, but there is a slew of info there, along with many successful installs.

There was also a post of a scissor style mid-rise lift, which had lots of room to work under. I cannot find the post though.

If the OP is truly serious, I can ask around, and possibly locate the thread.

Here is one of the lifts I was thinking about: EZcarlift

Sean

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, i have a 2 post in my garage, it's great and i didn't have any problem in 6 years, if you get one like mine you will have to have 12 feet of ceiling.

·
Registered
97 E420 / 84 190E 5spd / 09 Smart Brabus
54 Posts
Personally Ive been saving for a 2 post lift. gregsmithequipment.com
has showrooms (atleast in my area) that you can visit to see the lift in person. There are 2 types of 2-post lifts. One requires 12' clearance, it has a bar over the top. The other one is a baseplate lift, requires only 9' 6" clearance and has a plate to drive over on the bottom. They also have a specialty lift that has legs under it like an engine hoist that will lift the car from one side like a forklift, and has wheels, but its more expensive. I dont see the point of a 4 post lift unless you want to store cars because this requires an extra jack to work on the wheels/brakes. Ive got repairs just waiting for this addition.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts