Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got caught in a rainstorm yesterday and think it is ridiculous that so much water leaked into the car. I am a bit disappointed with the design of the SL.

Eventually I had to pull over under an overpass and consult the owners manual.

I discovered that the fat red switch next to the gear selector lever that you push to attach/detach the top also can be used to deploy a "soft" top. A sort of emergency thing made of fabric.

I deployed the "soft" top and the leaks stopped.

It isn't as sturdy as the regular top, and not as quiet when on the highway....but it serves it's purpose in an emergency to keep the rain from leaking in the car.

Hope this helps anyone in the same situation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is a common problem on the Sl.
The hard top tends to leak as the seal on top gets worn or when the gutter pipes in the A pillar posts get blocked.
The soft top which u refer to as an emergency fabric thing is an excellent hood with 3 panel layers to reduce noise and increase insulation.
I use the soft top for about 7 months of the year as its only a quick flick and the sun is on your face when it shines of course.
If your not that technically minded take it to a dealershop to check the seals and rain gutter pipes.
Pete

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your considerate reply.

I was , however, being silly.

One would expect water to get in with THE TOP DOWN.

[:D][:eek:)]

·
Registered
2000 SL500
106 Posts
So am I correct in making the assumption that you did not know that the SL has a soft top and you only thought that it had the hard top???? If so I am speachless.

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Black129 - 3/24/2005 1:05 PM

So am I correct in making the assumption that you did not know that the SL has a soft top and you only thought that it had the hard top???? If so I am speachless.
I was joking.

At least you realized what I was saying.

I met a girl once who had no idea how to open her BMW's sunroof. It was a handcrank and she thought that it only tilted up in the back.

I see that you are on your second SL...nice.

[:)]

·
Registered
2001 SLK320
18 Posts
Nice ruse, even if it is 11/2 years old. I was about to ask what you did with the hard top once under the overpass....

There is a bulletin about applying some silicone under the rubber pads on the windshield posts. Try a car wash and see how much they leak, even with the soft top!

·
Registered
33 Posts
cute.
I was trying to figure out how you'd managed to 'deploy' the soft top while the hardtop was on.

Now that would be a marvel of engineering.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Same thing happened to me. So I left the hard top under the bridge and when I went back to get it some homeless guy had turned it into a chaise lounge!

I had to share a liter of single malt with him to get it back. (Well,,, he passed out and I rolled him off of it.)

·
Registered
1998 SL500
107 Posts
I had the same problem. I solved it by buying an oversized umbrella. You can't drive very fast though. I tried the red button yesterday and surprisingly it worked. Now trying to return the umbrella. Anybody interested?

First I even thought getting a hitch for the SL and a small trailer to take the hard top with me all the time. But the umbrella was cheaper.

http://www.masterhitch.com/images/500sl.jpg

·
Registered
1995 500SL
141 Posts
I am sorry, there is just something wrong with a trailer hitch on the back of an SL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts