Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
T20-EPU's are non-resistor.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Yep, I've been using the Denso's. Made in Japan, good quality, resistor-less.
Currently available from some eBay sellers.

Gents,

I found a three sellers and wanted to make sure these are the correct plugs before I place the order. I'll prolly buy them from Sparkplugs.com as they're the most competitive price wise.

Ebay
DENSO STANDARD Spark Plugs T20EPU 5031 Set of 4 (I'll buy two sets)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DENSO-STANDARD-Spark-Plugs-T20EPU-5031-Set-of-4/113027663218?epid=191906429&hash=item1a50f94572:g:UGMAAOSwVxtbCKbe

Amazon (i'll have to purchase 6)
Denso (5031) T20EP-U Traditional Spark Plug, Pack of 1
http://a.co/d/4vAIgAn

Sparkplugs.com
Denso 5031 T20EP-U U-Groove Plug
https://www.sparkplugs.com/product.aspx?zpid=10743

·
W124 Moderator
12,601 Posts
As stated previously.....The Denso T20-EPU'S MATCH FACTORY SPECIFICATIONS.

Buy them

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Looks like vendor #3 has refunded my Beru ignition rotor due to out of stock. This item must be out of stock in the whole country!

So, I have some choices of rotors below:

OEM - best price I found $110 (with shipping)
BOSCH - $30 plus shipping
SMP - - $25 free shipping
Beck/Arnley - $23 Free shipping
Facet - $25 free shipping

Local MBZ dealer has one with a 5 day shipping for $128 + shipping.

So far, this rotor arm would be the most expensive item for this tuneup project if I go with MBZ.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
As stated previously.....The Denso T20-EPU'S MATCH FACTORY SPECIFICATIONS.

Buy them

Done. $18 to my door from Sparkplugs.com

Thank you.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Have you been able to clear the O2 error? Best solve that or you may fowl your new plugs...
I haven't tried actually but hoping to do so this weekend. I wanted to see if the MAS is cutting out my power to the fuel pump by checking voltage on pin #1 & #2 on the MAS. While I'm doing this, I'll also check the voltage going to the O2 sensor as well to see if it's being heated properly.

However, I did want to clean up and re-gap the current NGK spark plugs before I button everything up. All tune up parts from AutohausAZ have arrived and the only things I'm waiting on are the DENSO spark plugs and ignition rotor. I'd like to order the rotor today after I get a sense on which one is liked by this board; besides OEM!

·
W201 Moderator
2,216 Posts
I've been using the $30 bosch rotor. As said the quality is probably not as good as MB OE, but I replace them every spark plug change which is quite frequent with me. In the end, it probably ends up the same price as MB OE but for you, you are just trying to establish baseline inginition, so I would recommend the Bosch. After all is said and done and your car is back to 100%, your next rotor/cap update could be top quality.

- Cheers!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I've been using the $30 bosch rotor. As said the quality is probably not as good as MB OE, but I replace them every spark plug change which is quite frequent with me. In the end, it probably ends up the same price as MB OE but for you, you are just trying to establish baseline inginition, so I would recommend the Bosch. After all is said and done and your car is back to 100%, your next rotor/cap update could be top quality.

- Cheers!
You make good points. The cap is a Beru and it sucks (on principle) to stick a Bosch rotor under it :frown

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Update 9/11/18

Did the tuneup last night, including the acc belt. I found the source of a minor coolant leak where the bottom radiator hose comes into the inlet on the driver side. I'll take the hose off to see if there's a split as the hose clamp is rather tight. The previous Bosch rotor and the current one are made in Germany so that made me feel good. The old parts look worn but not broken or cracked, at least not to my naked eye anyway.

The spark plugs are shown below. Looks like #5, #4 have way more crusties than the rest. As expected, all plug gaps are huge and out of spec. All are oily, which I assume are from worn rings.

Attachments

·
W124 Moderator
12,601 Posts
Not likely worn rings. The bottom end of these motors is really robust. The likely culprit are the valve guides and stem seals
NGK BP5EFS plugs are one step hotter than stock and help with oil burn.

Good luck

Jayare

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Ok, thanks for the info. Sounds like a head gasket job is in the order in the near future. I do have a fair amount of the usual oil leaks from the top end so a HG job should be done anyway.

·
Registered
16,759 Posts
And don't forget to have the head checked at the machine shop for flatness and straightness as well.

These heads usually only need skimming/kissing of the head since there is not a lot of meat on the bone. We're not dealing with a small block Chevy here.

·
W201 Moderator
2,216 Posts
Alia176 I just received Beru rotor and distributor cap from RMEuropean. They are very reasonably priced and made in Germany.

Cap - $46
Rotor - $19

I ordered them as spares because I wanted to try Beru. They appear to be very good quality. Hopefully others agree.

- Cheers

·
Registered
863 Posts
I ordered them as spares because I wanted to try Beru. They appear to be very good quality. Hopefully others agree.

- Cheers
I'll be interested to hear how you get on with Beru. I use Beru leads and plugs (on M104.980) but MB original cap and rotor. No issues.

Increasingly we hear that Bosch aftermarket stuff is to be avoided so we need to know how Beru and others hold up.

I notice that NGK seem to be offering lead sets for the M104.98x at reasonable prices. Anyone had experience of these?

Keep us posted.

RayH

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Update

Took the car for a test drive last night and she bucked and tried to stall like before. The tuneup improved the performance somewhat, from a very short test drive which was expected.

switched out the MAS with one from '92 300E that I grabbed last weekend and same issue. I need to check the fuel pressure to rule that out.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Not sure on the Beru dist and rotor.....we need more feedback from actual long-term use. I seem to remember someone in here blasting them as junk within the last 12 months or so.

Kevin

41 - 60 of 69 Posts