Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, early in the summer I bought this '87 Benz 300D. Most stuff seems in order except the odd thing that pops up due to age obviously. I've loved the car since I got it, except...

One big annoying issue right now; It's -finally- cooler outside now and feeling like late Fall, so my car is a b____ to start, especially when it's been sitting overnight(it's totally fine when it's at perfect operating temp). I replaced the glow plug relay a little ways back since that was causing issues, so the light pops on for a few secs now and goes off like it should and it starts up fine on a regular day.

You're not always gonna have access to a plug and extension cord though(I even just got one of those magnetic block heaters like a day or two ago, that you have to plug in, so I'm seeing how that goes), so am I doomed to having a lemon when it comes to these months?

I've heard that these cars last forever when treated right, so there's gotta be an easier remedy for this problem, right? Unless it lasts because it stays in the garage half the year... 🏾

It's only been between 30-40 at a low, too, so good grief when winter weather hits or I have to head up north some... 😕

·
Registered
1977 420-Unimog, 1981 G-240d, 1982 240D(swapped to OM617.951 300TD), 2007 E280 4matic, 2007 S550 amg
8 Posts
They last "forever" if you meticulously maintain them. Injectors and glow-plugs are common things that, if neglected, can really take the crap on you. Also, if they sit for too long, the seals and vacuum lines start to crack and go. They last longer if they're driven. I'd definitely check into the glowplugs and the entire circuitry on how they are doing.

Diesel tractors had a diesel or gas generator to plug the block heater into if you ever break down (like my acquaintance who keeps a gas powered generator in his fully electric truck to charge the battery in case he is ever stuck somewhere). That's the only reasonable way to generate enough heat on the go since the block heater normally takes 500-1000W. This was out in Alberta where you'd have to get Number 1 diesel since nights are -30 C
Short of doing that, re-done glowplugs are the only thing you can really do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts