Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
s500
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was getting gas and after i tried starting the car it started but died right away then i tried starting it again but it didnt want to I waited like 15 mins and tried again it started but the car was making a hissing sound there was a small hose that popped off so i put it back in and it was running fine then this morning I started it and went to the store but it died on the street,car starts and idles but dies when i give it gas its a 92 500sel,its also been raining a lot could that be a problem,any advice what to check first thnx

·
Registered
CLS350 C219 2006
582 Posts
i was getting gas and after i tried starting the car it started but died right away then i tried starting it again but it didnt want to I waited like 15 mins and tried again it started but the car was making a hissing sound there was a small hose that popped off so i put it back in and it was running fine then this morning I started it and went to the store but it died on the street,car starts and idles but dies when i give it gas its a 92 500sel,its also been raining a lot could that be a problem,any advice what to check first thnx
Hi,
Not really a solution but similar symptoms here.
Start Ok, Idles ok, runs ok.
But when you stop for 5-10 mins and try restart it idles ok but does not want to accelerate until the engine idles for a few minutes, than all is god for the rest of the day.
Mechancic told me wait until symptoms get worse for proper diagnossis.
He mentioend something about fuel on some valve ???
I keep you posted.

Cheers

·
Registered
1989 560 SEL, 1993 400 SEL, 1986 420 SEL, 1977 450 SL, 1984 300D, 1981 380 SL, 1983 500 SL
606 Posts
One of your fuel pumps is probably bad. I had same situation and found out that one of the two fuel pumps did not work at all causing this very same problem. I removed the bad one after finding out which one was indeed bad and hooked up only the good one and my car runs like a "raped ape". Check your fuel pumps! I have a 1993 400 SEL.

·
Registered
s500
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thnx,im gonna take it to my mechanic if it keeps doing it im just waiting for the rain to go and see if that helps

·
Registered
2011 GLK,2007 S550,2003 S55,2008 CLK,2009 C300,1996 E300,2005 E320,2002 E3
1,355 Posts
try this...unplug your battery, disconnect your air flow meter(air mass)
plug in your battery and try it again.
I had the exact same problem with my Volvo where the car would not run under load. I replaced both fuel pumps....that was not the problem.

·
Registered
s500
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so today I took a closer look at the engine I took off the air box and looked around and I saw one small black hose had popped off its the one towards the back of the engine on the drivers side it connects to some circular thing,just to make sure I looked over the engine again and saw two more small fuel hoses that popped off i put them back in and the car seems fine but it still feels weird when i drive it because around the 10mph range it has a tiny hesitation,and when the car is parked and i rev it real quick it has a little shudder

·
Registered
s500
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the car seems to run fine now but I was wondering if anyone knows why those small fuel lines would pop off,before this all happened the gas was low so I only put $5 in becuz the car was gonna sit for 2 days but when I was putting the gas in the tanker was filling the station up and it was raining could water have gone into the tank? and also should i change the fuel filter?

·
Registered
1986 560SEL, 1986 560SEL, 1992 500SEL, 1999 S500
473 Posts
I just saw your other post. The hose was most likely the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator. Did you see liquid coming out of the hose or the "round" thing? If so the the diaghram in the pressure regulator ruptured and gas, under high pressure, may hav pushed the hose off. A bad fuel regulator could cause all kinds of driveability problems like this. This will allow raw gas to enter the intake ahead of all management systems and cause a rich condition.

·
Registered
s500
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just saw your other post. The hose was most likely the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator. Did you see liquid coming out of the hose or the "round" thing? If so the the diaghram in the pressure regulator ruptured and gas, under high pressure, may hav pushed the hose off. A bad fuel regulator could cause all kinds of driveability problems like this. This will allow raw gas to enter the intake ahead of all management systems and cause a rich condition.
ya gasoline was coming out of the small hose from the fuel regulator but only if i touched it

·
Registered
2011 GLK,2007 S550,2003 S55,2008 CLK,2009 C300,1996 E300,2005 E320,2002 E3
1,355 Posts
You have a bad fuel pressure regulator

·
Registered
s500
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
car was sitting for a while i finally took it to my mechanic and he said there was a hose underneath the engine that needed to be replaced becuz it was worn out he charged $100 for it what could that hose be?but i was driving back home and it died again and started to have the same problems like not starting and shuddering so i called him and he said to tow it back i will see what he says now,i told him about the fuel regulator leaking fuel when the car is off but he said it doesn't effect it

·
Registered
473 Posts
Find a new mechanic. Whether or not the regulator is the true cause of your problem, it is BAD!!! It is a 5 minute fix and costs about $35. This scenario is typical for a bad regulator and I had similar problems--all cured by a new regulator. When the diaghram ruptures ---engine vacuum coming through the little hose sucks raw gas, already under high pressure, directly into the intake manifold. This process is not controlled by the electronics. This is like pouring gas directly down the air flow sensor or like through a carburator--a RICH, UNCONTROLABLE CONDITION.

·
Registered
s500
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the car runs fine now but sometimes it cranks for a little while to start and after the 2000 rev mark it has a shudder,i just got back from him and he said it needs a distributor caps and some other things because they are all original

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yes, and extended cranking can be a sign of a very rich mixture, caused by a bad regulator. Letting all that raw gas wash the oil down the cylinder walls is a not-good thing! Since you yourself have found leaking gas in the vacuum hose and by your mechanic's own logic (the regulator too is an original part) why not replace it??

·
Registered
s500
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thnx for the help,im just gonna replace everything by myself,is there diy for the distributor cap and rotors?

·
Registered
1997 s600
267 Posts
It is possible that one of your catalytic converters is restricted causing high back pressure.This would explain why all your vacuum hoses popped off.The root cause of the failure is probably the leaking fuel pressure regulator causing the cat to overheat and melt.This is easily checked with a backpressure gauge. I agree with chuckindetroit's recommendation to get a new mechanic.I also don't recommend that you do this yourself.good luck!
Mike

·
Registered
s500
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yesterday i gave the engine one more look and unplugged the maf and then plugged it in,it looked like it wasnt pushed in all the way it was out just a tiny bit so i dunno if that effected the car but the shuddering around the 20 rev mark is gone,im going to order the fp regulator in a couple days becuz the car sumtimes takes a while to start

1 - 17 of 17 Posts