Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my car lowered yesterday. Overall handling curves is a real treat, no more feeling like your about to tip over.

Now this is the car's setup without any shims on the front or the rear just the H & R lowering springs. I think the rear is a little too low, and i'm thinking ahead of when I have some others riders in the rear or luggage in the trunk so i'm thinking of putting in 3 nub (19mm) shims. I think the front is cool the way it is, and it will give a small amount of rake. Not too extreme.

Let me know your opinions. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Looks great! If just have H & R's then try to get some Bilstein shocks in there. You'll notice a significant increase in ride responsiveness and best of all, less rear end sag. A saggy rear end is trying to tell you to get some Bilsteins. :p

Great looking car.

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looks great! If just have H & R's then try to get some Bilstein shocks in there. You'll notice a significant increase in ride responsiveness and best of all, less rear end sag. A saggy rear end is trying to tell you to get some Bilsteins. :p

Great looking car.
Thanks for the compliment. I do have the Heavy Duty Bilsteins in there already. It rides very responsive but I just need to tweak the rear upwards. I've had a lot of suspension work done in the last year so it's a bunch of new parts already changed.

Forgot to add that I striped and repainted the wheels about a month ago!!!

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,467 Posts
Looks marvelous!! Like you said, the tail feathers are a bit low, but raising it up an inch won't affect the handling enough but will make it look better.

Now you're ready for some 18x8.5 rims and some 245/40/hr18 tires. That will raise the handling to an even higher level!!

Attachments

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Nice.

I'm not a fan of lowered cars, usually, 'cause they're overdone to the point of stupid, but this looks quite nice.

I'm with you on the rear coming up a bit, though. Otherwise, way to go!

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eventually. Will attack the rear height issue with the camber kit and shims. Finally get my drivers seat spring and pad done probably on Friday or Saturday. Already have the supplies.

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL
186 Posts
Ok now I want to lower mine. I wonder if I should do this before I have it painted and how exspensive were the springs. Also is that all that you change to lower it? Also if you could send me a private message I have alot of question about the other sup. parts that you changed out. Thanks

·
Registered
1982 240d 211k miles
132 Posts
Dude that car looks SWEET!!!!!!
How much did it drop? Was it 2"? Got any before after shots?
I would double take if I saw that for sure! :thumbsup:
Did you do your own install?

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts
i like the tucked look, now if there was any way to get the front as low as the SPA sace sec w/o cutting the springs--my next projeckt will be that low!

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,725 Posts
Ok now I want to lower mine. I wonder if I should do this before I have it painted and how exspensive were the springs. Also is that all that you change to lower it? Also if you could send me a private message I have alot of question about the other sup. parts that you changed out. Thanks
The info you seek is in the archive. How to search the forum is in the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page.

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dude that car looks SWEET!!!!!!
How much did it drop? Was it 2"? Got any before after shots?
I would double take if I saw that for sure! :thumbsup:
Did you do your own install?
It dropped about 2 inches. When I first saw the car, I was like damn is that my car. Unfortunately no before shots. I've been getting a lot of looks for sure especially from other W126 owners who are at standard height settings.

I took it to these guys called J & J Motors in Bryn Mawr, PA. Now we have to get the rear camber kit and set those rear wheels right with the height adjusting shims.

I was just on the highway cruising at about 70 and she feels real tight with better steering response. I can feel more of the road vibration I guess because of the lowered stance. It's been raining here today and I can't wait til it stops so I can wipe her down with some Microfiber towels and S100 shine enhancer then hit her with the wax and buffer.

Thanks to all who like the new look! By the way she currently has 218,565 on the clock and running strong.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Even my wife still makes comments about our 21 year old lowered MB looking MUCH better than anything else in the parking lot!! Yep, I turn and look at it sometimes while walking away.

I didn't adjust the rear camber on my lowered 560SEL because, since it handles soooo much better, my personal goal is to go around enough enough corners fast enough that I wear off the outside portion of the tires to match the slightly increased wear on the inside edge. If the inside edge is showing wear, then obviously I'm driving too slow!!

Oh, yeah, since it's a paid-off car with no monthly payments, I don't really care too much about fuel mileage. Even at $4.50/gallon, buying something else to get better gas mileage does not make economic sense. Then there's the significant negative that whatever I buy for gas mileage will be guaranteed to look much poorer (pun intended) and will be significantly less safe than my W126 Panzer SEL. YMMV!

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, yeah, since it's a paid-off car with no monthly payments, I don't really care too much about fuel mileage. Even at $4.50/gallon, buying something else to get better gas mileage does not make economic sense. Then there's the significant negative that whatever I buy for gas mileage will be guaranteed to look much poorer (pun intended) and will be significantly less safe than my W126 Panzer SEL. YMMV!
My wife keeps mentioning about a new car. She has a pearl white 96 maxima which runs great and is very reliable. So one day I got out all my detailing stuff and went to town on her car which included washing, polishing compounding and then waxing with the buffer which took about 5 hours. When I was finished she was like wow honey that looks real nice! So I said here's your new clean car!!!

She's been very satisfied since and hasn't said anything else about a new car. And now, she calls me before she gets home to find out if i'm wiping down the car's today.

She probably thought about us having two cars with no car payments!!! LOL!

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Way to go!! Peace in the family *without* spending money - I'm envious. :)

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hello all. After driving my car with the lowering springs in various road conditions for almost two weeks, i've come to the conclusion that i'm going to have my original springs re-installed back into the car. I've had some scenarios where I tested the car like I normally drive on the highway and in some back roads, and my car's overall handling performance seems like it has declined. Definitely not the Mercedes feel.

So i'm considering selling the H&R Springs in the near future at a decent discount. If anyone might be interested in purchasing them, please send me a PM or email. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
You're the first one that ever wanted to remove the lowering springs. Everyone else thought the handling improved considerably. What is about your setup that you don't like??

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You're the first one that ever wanted to remove the lowering springs. Everyone else thought the handling improved considerably. What is about your setup that you don't like??
It rides too harsh even after changing suspension parts and such. Even my mechanic said that the ride is worse and the car sits too low especially in the rear. We are going to make the change on Friday evening. And this has all been with no extra weight in the rear yet. I can only imagine how much worse it would be with two people sitting in the back seat or a loaded trunk. My mechanic told me to put it back the way it was originally and said you've invested too much money into your car to let the lowered look mess it up!

I agreed!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts