Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

My wife and I like to do our own washing, cleaning, polishing. We have a one month old 2008 MB CLK350 Cabriolet Obsidian Black with Cappuccino and Black Leather interior and a 2007 Volvo XC 90 Silver (some swirls marks on the hood and on the headlight protective plastice lens due to the use of "scuff pads" used by a "friend" who volunteered to wash the Volvo to remove some sticky black bugs) with charcoal leather interior. Other than the noted swirl marks on the Volvo, both are in great shape and we just want to keep them up and protect them for the longterm. We would like to have recomendations for what to use on these vehicles for proper maintenance of the paint and shine from top to bottom (including the canvas top of the MB, the swirls on the Volvo hood and sides and the scratches on the plastic headlight lens and the wheels and tires) and interior care for dash and floormats. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've just recently been reading up on the subject, just take a look around and read these forums. As you clean your car day in and day out you will come up with questions on your own. You can come here use the search function and read another thread. I've learned a good amount in just a few days.

What I am currently going to be doing for my SLK 230 is using some of Adams car care products along with 303 aerosol protectant. Seems to be a good base to start off on. This is the process i have so far once i get my products in. I've already done all of this stuff but i have yet to machine polish the car.

1. Wash engine with engine bright
2. Wash the car
3. Clean the glass
4. Clay the car
5. Machine polish
6. Wax
7. Clean/detail engine
8. clean and protect inside of the car
9. do all the weather stripping and tires
10. use some detail spray at the end of every day

·
Premium Member
2002 CLK 430 Convt. '91 420 SEL, '80 240D, '93 190E Sportline, '70 300 SEL 6.3
1,555 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Exterior Products:

Paint surface –
Car wash concentrate- Zymol Clear or Zaino Z-7 Car Wash
Zaino Show Car products (Z-2 Pro, ZFX, Z-6, Z-8)
Swissvax Concorso Carnauba wax

Convertible top - Raggtopp Cleaner

Targa top / Headlights - BTI Chemicals Plexus® Plastic Polish & Cleaner

PVC weather stripping- Black Wow

Tyres- HiTemp Tire Cleaner
Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss™ ( also contains UV Radiation protection)

Wheel surface – P21S Wheel Surface Cleaner (100% acid free)

Glass Surface Cleaner - Stoner’s Invisible Glass

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
Based on my recent exeriences, those products you list are good, but my personal preferences are:

Exterior Products:

Paint surface –
Car wash concentrate- Adam's Car Wash Concentrate
Clay - Adam's premium clay
Paint restoration - Adam's Swirl and Haze Remover or Fine Machine Polish
Paint nourishment - Adam's revive Polish
Wax - Adam's Machine Super Wax or Buttery Wax

Convertible top - I dont have a preference as I have never maintained a ragtop.

Targa top / Headlights - BTI Chemicals Plexus® Plastic Polish & Cleaner or Meguiars Plast-X

PVC weather stripping- Adam's VRT

Tires-
Cleaning - Adam's All Purpose Cleaner
Dressing - Adam's VRT

Wheel surface cleaning – Adam's All Purpose Cleaner

Glass Surface Cleaner - Adams Glass Cleaner (I used to use Stoners but switched as I think this is better)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm really a Body clean maniac...ask my wife and the best protection I found and use for years is cleaning the car put Klasse ALL-IN-ONE Polish & Sealant then High Gloss Sealant Glaze (Klasse All-In-One Polish, Klasse Sealant Glaze).
It's really fast to put on and to buff without having to contour plexi, metal or glass parts...Go for it, it's an excellent German product like the CLK 350!

·
Premium Member
2002 CLK 430 Convt. '91 420 SEL, '80 240D, '93 190E Sportline, '70 300 SEL 6.3
1,555 Posts
That's what I would have thought years ago, but this really is a great product.

Klasse USA products have been some of the best products in the car care industry since 1979. Klasse can be found in the garages of car enthusiasts and collectors across the country and around the world.

Klasse AIO 33 ounce, Klasse ALL-IN-ONE Polish 33 oz

·
Registered
89 BMW E34 ///M20 525i
148 Posts
p21s 100% carnauba wax is excellent, and the durability is great, especially if you layer it. Also, the Klasse Acrylic Sealant is even more amazng when layered twice and topped with the P21s 100% carnauba that I just mentioned.

Zaino is great, but be sure to layer it to get incredible results and durability, so is Swissvax Concorso Carnauba wax, but good luck affording that unless you're a professional or really shell out the cash. IMO not worth it for the weekend warrior.
$240 for that, or $580 for Swissvax mystery.

Great stuff, but yea... Expensive as hell, IMO not that much better than a well maintained Klasse/Zaino/or P21s finish, or a combination of a few.

Regarding raggtop, great stuff. Too bad I had a bottle turn over and leak into one of my mobile detailing tubs...Argh. Put it in a different bottle.

Plexus, +1...

Stoners IG... +1

If your trim is faded, use the black again black dye kit. Otherwise, I use 303 to keep it dark and protected from the sun.

·
Banned
97'C280
3,184 Posts
Depending on your budget(very important)

Exterior:
Ajax - *read disclaimer*
Blue Magic Clay bar
California Gold or Mequiar's Gold Class
Mother's Reflections Advanced Wax
Mother's Refelctions Advanced Top Coat

Convertible top -
Howard's Essential Oils Upholstery cleaner. no dyes or perfumes.

Trim & weatherstripping
Plexus® Plastic Polish & Cleaner or Mother's Back to Black

Tyres-
Griot's long lasting tire dressing

Wheel surface –
Mother's all wheel spray

Glass Surface Cleaner -
Stoner’s Invisible Glass or Zep

1 - 11 of 11 Posts