Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
380SL,560SEL,S600
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm impressed. Earlier today, I was rear ended by a Mazada Miata. They thought I would proceed through the yellow light, apparently she did not see the landscape truck making a left-hand turn which caused me to have to stop (otherwise, I would have flew into him!). Anyway, I made an unexpected stop. Following too closely, she jammed the nose of her car into the back end of mine. My car's rear crumple zones were spent! I was okay- she was not. She needed an ambulance. To get to the point, I was highly impressed of the results. I had little to no whiplash. It is amazing how much the crumplezones absorb of the forces. I ended up driving the car home. Much to my shigrin, the electronic trunk closer still worked and even sealed itself! Even when I shut the trunk by hand the hydorpneumatic action still happened! The trunk still sealed it's self. Although it seems like a petit subject, it just reinvests my affection for Mercedes. Thank you Bela for inventing the crumple zones! I just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too had a similar experience, but not with my own car. I'm a police officer, last wee...

I too had a similar experience, but not with my own car. I'm a police officer, last week I responded to a 3 car accident where a driver of a 2002 S430 was not paying attention and rear ended a 1991 Cadillac Deville that was stopped at a red light and pushed the Caddy into a 4runner. The Cadillac sustained major rear end damage, while the S430 suffered minor damages in the form of chipped paint to the lower bumper and a mis-aligned(and not by much) front grille. The bumper and hood did not even crush and appeared normal. Although the S430's airbags deployed, the car was still driveable and the owner drove home to call a tow truck to deliver the car to the dealership. The driver was fine too.

After seeing that, I was happy I had an S430 in my garage.

·
Registered
380SL,560SEL,S600
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got in a wreck with a Cadillac once. They made a U-turn and made too wide of one and man...

I got in a wreck with a Cadillac once. They made a U-turn and made too wide of one and managed to hit the kerb. Which left them parked diagonally across my lane. With my luck, another car was traveling about the same speed I was in the left-hand lane on a two-lane boulevard. I had no room to swerve left and miss them, Anyway, my 240D hit the right-hand corner of their car, it broke my headlight assembly did nothing to my hood, chipped some paint off of my fender...It completely destroyed their back end. Anyway, the insurance determined it to be my fault (what a crock) and gave me $500 for a new paint job. Needless to say, me or my dog was not hurt, they hit their head on their dash.

·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
A few years ago my 190E 2.6 was hit by one of those huge Ford vans. I was travelling at ab...

A few years ago my 190E 2.6 was hit by one of those huge Ford vans. I was travelling at about 65 mph when they shifted lanes and hit the rear left of my car at approx. 60mph. Unfortunately, the driver fled. I thought me and my car was in deep trouble. To my surprise, my car didn't budge a bit after being hit and the damage was limited to a slight dent in the rear. The plastic molding also came off. Amazingly very little damage. Sometimes, a decade old Mercedes is safer than a brand new something else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts