Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to make space in the garage for the custom convertible 026. The soft top on the 026 has some damages that I plan to try and repair until I am ready to spend the near $2000 that it will cost for a new custom top.

It is just not going to be practical to squeeze two 107s in the two car garage. The 1973 450sl with nice (but not perfect) black paint is going to be relagated to the outdoors until I can find it a new home (whether with a new owner, or just some storage of mine).

So I am seeking an r107 cover that I will put on to keep the car from getting wet every time it rains. The cover will come off when the weather is dry, and the car will probably get driven MORE often than it does now, simply because it will already be outdoors.

I am just looking for an inexpensive tight-fitting car cover.

Can anyone give me a reason NOT to buy this inexpensive cover?

The feedback rating of 99.7% looks pretty good to me.

I will be prepared for the fit to be a little loose since I have Euro-style bumpers, but have my fingers crossed for a tight fit since the ad does say "EURO".

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
Be care full Ol buddy ! You might want to review my posts ! Mine had the hard top on and sat out for 2 years ! Personally I'd look at getting one of the tent buildings like Costco sells. Around $ 200 bucks. Can't even buy the new trunk floor pans for that ! Might be complicated if your place is not conducive to a tent, but trust me, moisture trapped under a cover will melt a 107 ! Be afraid my friend ! Be very afraid !:eek:

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
Covers are NG, the trapped moisture invites rust and will decay the interior rapidly. A temporary car-port or tent is the best.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,338 Posts
Be care full Ol buddy ! You might want to review my posts ! Mine had the hard top on and sat out for 2 years ! Personally I'd look at getting one of the tent buildings like Costco sells. Around $ 200 bucks. Can't even buy the new trunk floor pans for that ! Might be complicated if your place is not conducive to a tent, but trust me, moisture trapped under a cover will melt a 107 ! Be afraid my friend ! Be very afraid !:eek:
Even with a tent style or even a garage that does not have a solid floor, the cars can be destroyed. A friend of mine had, I think, 7 Corvairs. They were stored indoors in a large shed/garage that had a gravel floor. He went away for 6 years. The undersides of some of the cars were totally rusted out when he got back. He recovered a couple of them.

Fonzi - maybe look at getting a larger home with a 3 or 4 car garage ;) Or find a storage facility where car will be safe. If it's just a short term thing, a cover should be fine, or just leave it uncovered. Many cars spend their lives outdoors.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
^^ Sorry, I just assumed there was a solid floor.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,353 Posts
I have had the opposite experience in my barn. The concrete floor in one half was not installed with a vapor barrier and it sweats in extreme weather changes. The rear is dirt and I have no moisture problem there.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,338 Posts
I have had the opposite experience in my barn. The concrete floor in one half was not installed with a vapor barrier and it sweats in extreme weather changes. The rear is dirt and I have no moisture problem there.

My friend's shed was in Ontario near Ottawa. May be a different climate? ;)

But, what you seeing, we see here too. Concrete garage & basement floors sweat and you see some salt powder. Probably due to insufficient drainage and vapor barrier under slab.

With gravel floor in unfinished areas, you don't see anything, but the moisture still comes out of the ground if there is nothing to impede it. To stop moisture causing mildew and rotting in crawl spaces, builders recommend a full poly vapour barrier.

If my friend had just laid a sheet of poly under cars in each car bay, that might have helped.

·
Premium Member
1984 380SL, 2000 BMW Z3
392 Posts
Car Port

If you've got room, why not one of these. Under $1000 installed. Wind rated 140mph (required in FL). That's a 20' Stingray under it. (think I posted this before)

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a short term thing, and I will plan to remove the cover any time I notice the car getting wet. Most of the time it will probably not have the cover on it at all. This will be in my driveway, and the pickup truck will get relegated to the street out back under the power wires where the birds poop.

I have a cover that is not water proof and is a little too large right now. It works well as a dust cover in the garage, but it would not keep the moisture off the car in the event of rain. I am looking for something that will block at least the majority of the rain when the car gets wet. Then shortly after a rain storm the car cover will come off.

I completely understand the risk of moisture getting trapped inside. That's also a reason I'm not just putting my current car cover on the car and then throwing a plastic tarp over that.

Ahh... screw it. I'm buying. You guys knew I was going to buy it anyway because I'm a stubborn bastard anyway. Right?

I'll report back on the quality of this dirt cheap cover. I expect it to be like tyvek. I am hoping that it is a snug fit wrapping around the mirrors, and blocks water out.

It will go on the car any time I leave home for a few days... maybe being a great sign for would-be burglars.

·
Registered
1988 560 SL
652 Posts
Covers are NG, the trapped moisture invites rust and will decay the interior rapidly. A temporary car-port or tent is the best.
Is this primarily an effect of climate? I'm in SoCal, my 560's an outdoor car and I keep it covered to protect it primarily from the sun. We do get rain but not alot. It can be torrential when it comes, tho' it rarely lasts more than a day or two. Perhaps I should leave my car uncovered at those times...? :confused:

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You really need a cover that stops rain from coming though and lets moisture out when the sun comes out. Cheap price and those specs really don't go hand in hand. I nice covercraft cover : Noah Car Covers - Covercraft Car Covers
would pay for itself. No cheap way out.
There is the type of advice I was seeking. "Cheap stubborn bastard" already purchase the ebay item, and will let you know how it works.

·
Registered
1985 380SL(2) 1973 450SL
491 Posts
Fonzi....drive it on down. I've got a 120 x 200 empty building with concrete floor. I'm sure I could put it up for the winter for you.

·
Premium Member
1984 380SL, 2000 BMW Z3
392 Posts
If you don't have Home Owners Association restrictions and high winds, then I recommend making an igloo type frame with pvc pipe (it bends well) and a cheap Walmart tarp. Did that for my son's car when he was overseas until I got the garage built. Lasted a couple of years.

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All good ideas, but the slightly urban environment isn't conducive to any external structures. Someone would surely complain. Regardless, I am still looking for a very temporary type of solution. it would be easier for me to squeeze the two 107s in the 2 car garage in my opinion, than to buy/build a structure.

Here is another example where a car cover would be good: I often drive to the philadelphia airport which is right next to the highway and gets all types of dust and pollution even inside the garage. So I don't like to drive the 107 to the airport knowing it will be filthy when I return to it. A snug car cover would be ideal for this scenario. It could also be used in case I need to park the car outside at the airport for times when the garage is full.

This is not the type of thing I anticipate leaving on the car for weeks on end. Surely the longest period the. Over would be on the car would be two weeks, but again, more commonly just when the weather gets nasty. Or when I have a project on a rainy day and could use the garage space.

I am starting to like the idea of a nice thin cover the more I think about it. A thick one might be heavier and harder to dry out, especially since I anticipate taking it off the car often when it is still damp.

·
Registered
'87 560SL / '00 Celica GT-S / '92 Volvo 960 / '70 F-100
324 Posts
Any recommendations for a daytime / sunny weather use (keep the UV away) car cover?

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
Do you have the altitude in your garage to put a car lift ? Kills a lot of birds with one stone ! Twice the height of your 107 plus about 6". I'm buying one as soon as I get the shop equipment out of my garage !

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you have the altitude in your garage to put a car lift ? Kills a lot of birds with one stone ! Twice the height of your 107 plus about 6". I'm buying one as soon as I get the shop equipment out of my garage !
Project is on the list. Somehow I think the central air, kitchen an bathroom should be ahead of the lift in the lift in the garage. Happy wife = happy life. Happy man with lift in the garage = divorce, alimony, child support, etc. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts