Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 1994 SL600
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running out of garage space and have to store my '94 SL on the driveway at least for a few months. To make sure it doesn't start growing too much moss (Seattle weather :crybaby2:), I'm looking for a reasonably priced car cover.

Going through eBay and a few other sites reveals a broad range of covers, priced from about $30 to more then $300! It seems the OEM covers are priced about $210-230. Quality & fit obviously varies GREATLY which is my main concern...

Any recommendations, besides paying a whopping $200+ for an OEM cover? Any recommended brands or specific covers? Or products to stay away from?

Also, if you have a cover for sale, please do let me know!

thx

·
Registered
1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
870 Posts
I'm running out of garage space and have to store my '94 SL on the driveway at least for a few months. To make sure it doesn't start growing too much moss (Seattle weather :crybaby2:), I'm looking for a reasonably priced car cover.
thx
Are you crying or trying to keep your eyes dry from all that Seattle mist/drizzle?:D Seattle is SUPER in the summer, but the rest of the year, I feel for you. I have not ever considered putting a cover on a car that I knew would get wet. I only covered a car to keep the sun off it and removed the cover if it rained. Does anyone else have any insight for konsuli on this issue?

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,814 Posts
Konsuli,

There are many car accessory sellers online, and even amazon, that carry a wide array of car covers. You may select the one that most fit your needs and budget.

See for yourself:

car cover - Google Search

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
You definitely want to get one that can "breath" so comes Spring your SL is not covered with moss. I cannot tell you how good after market covers are but I have an OEM cover for years and am very pleased with it. The under side is made of material that won't scratch your paint and that is very important, especially your car is going to be outside where the cover is subjected to wind movement all day long. The cover is also made of breathable material where no moisture is trapped and causing mildew.

If none of those are your concerns, you can always throw a tarp over it and that should cost you next to nothing.

·
Registered
1997 SL500, 1948 Rover 75 P3, 1984 Citroen 2CV, 1953 BSA Bantam D1, 1966 Velosolex Moped
1,141 Posts
I'm running out of garage space and have to store my '94 SL on the driveway at least for a few months. To make sure it doesn't start growing too much moss (Seattle weather :crybaby2:)
I once spent a week in Seattle and it only rained twice - once for 3 days, and once for 4 days :D.

But I still enjoyed it :), what the heck I'm British...

Regards
Steve

·
Registered
2010 SL63 AMG, 2001 SL500, 2012 Corvette Z06, 2013 Lexus RX350, 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe, 2015 Ram
491 Posts
I just ordered a custom-fit cover from carcoversdirect.com. I'll post again when it arrives to let people know if I like it. I have ordered from them before and was satisfied.

I went through eBay looking at the cheaper stuff. Most of those are "semi-custom" which probably just means small, medium or large, because they aren't actually patterned specifically for your car.

I'd rather pay more (about $230 US, inc shipping to Canada) for the custom fit, rather than some sloppy rag.

I chose an indoor "dust" cover to protect my baby while it sleeps in the garage over winter. It was about the same cost as their good, but not best, outdoor cover.

·
Registered
2010 SL63 AMG, 2001 SL500, 2012 Corvette Z06, 2013 Lexus RX350, 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe, 2015 Ram
491 Posts
Well it took longer than expected, because the manufacturer (Covercraft) was waiting for back-ordered fabric, but the folks at CarCoversDirect treated me well.

Here are shots of the custom-fitted cover. The material I chose is called "Dustop", meant for indoor storage.

Perhaps the cover is a little redundant, since the car is already stored in the garage. But, its going to be sitting there until March or April. The cover will protect against scratches and keep the car clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

I will go for the OEM cover, with the correct part number it seems to be $185 through parts.com - not bad for genuine MB Noah cover.

·
Registered
87' 190E 16V / 93' 600SL / 02' G500
1,215 Posts
I just bought one from Costco in your area. The cover was 39.00 and was an indoor out door cover. I bought the large size and it fits nicely. The cover comes with straps front and rear to keep the thing planted on during one of those wonderful Pacific N.W windstorms. Check it out, for the price its actually a nice cover.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike - would you have a chance to snap a picture of the cover on your car and post it here? The $39 price point is definitely tempting...

·
Registered
87' 190E 16V / 93' 600SL / 02' G500
1,215 Posts
I will do it today for you. Please note I just bought one at the Costco in Mount Vernon on Thursday last week and they had 4 or 5 Large cover left.

·
Premium Member
1998 SL500 White / Grey
21 Posts
Great Covers

This mob are very good, they have alot of covers, the best thing is to email your needs to Michael,I have one of there dust covers and it fit great, if you are going to keep the car , dont be afrayed to pay a little more, you get what you pay for thanks

Covercraft Pacific Shop

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts
Here's some photos for you. It has the clips shown front and rear as previously mentioned. Good cover in my opinion.
That looks like mine. I opted for the semi custom at about the same price. But, I can't remember where I got it a few or more years ago. It's two layer for indoor dust and has held up great to the harsh heated garage environment. :p I like it although it "poofs out" at the side mirrors, unlike customs.

The other cars in there, not pictured, have covers from Covercraft but they were pricey and custom. But they are all season durable, hail resistant, etc. since one sits out at an airport quite a bit, I wanted better protection for it.

Oh, by the way, my hardtop doesn't usually lean up against the wall like here, I was adding some extra padding to the stand when I took this pic. And I was air drying the undercarriage shield after cleaning it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
The words of caution regarding moisture under the car cover is valid. We had a '73 Dodge Challenger that had won Best Paint at car shows (Sublime Green) and it eventually received some bubbling to paint on the roof because of trapped moisture. Also wind movement has the effect of sandpaper over even a brief time rubbing any dust into the clear coat. Be sure your car is washed and ideally waxed first and even then know that dust and dirt will still find it's way up there over time since the bottom is obviously open to the elements. I've seen cars with nasty scratches on the high points of the fenders and roof caused by this. Car covers aren't really intended to protect the cars for long term outdoor storage, have you considered those pop-up car ports? You may actually be better off just cleaning the car periodically and leaving it uncovered. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1998 SLK 230,2018 C300, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie, 1968 Firebird,
5,327 Posts
How about you guys tossing the other crap and lesser vehicles out of the garage and keeping the 129 inside where it belongs! Having pulled that bonehead stunt with a 107 a few years ago, YOU'LL BE SORRY ! :D I speak from experience :crybaby2:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts