Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

This weekend I cleaned the fuse box and battery connections. On the positive cable, there is an extra set of wires in this red insulation that has a circular lead--and I can't tell if it's copper or some other metal (I scrubbed it best I could and it looked like some copper showed but the rest of it is still silvery looking). Any idea what this is, and if it still looks corroded? Any chance this is contributing to the pesky fuse #15?

Thanks,
Drew

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
2,963 Posts
That belongs there. It was tin/lead plated but much of the plating has been eaten off by corrosion, When you put it back together, get some battery terminal dressing and spray it on there. If you can keep the air and moisture off there it won't corrode.

Nothing to do with any fuse issues; that connection is before the fuse box. Blown fuses are caused by problems down stream from the fuse itself.

Wait, that was someone else. What is your fuse 15 issue?

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,976 Posts
If you're asking about the coating, John350's advice sounds great. If you're asking what that wire does, on my car it feeds the fuel pump relay.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That belongs there. It was tin/lead plated but much of the plating has been eaten off by corrosion, When you put it back together, get some battery terminal dressing and spray it on there. If you can keep the air and moisture off there it won't corrode.

Nothing to do with any fuse issues; that connection is before the fuse box. Blown fuses are caused by problems down stream from the fuse itself.

Wait, that was someone else. What is your fuse 15 issue?
Thanks for the explanation John, I coated the terminals and this loop portion with dielectric grease.

Yes, the fuse 15 issue has been causing a slow battery drain for years now. I've disconnected the antenna and the vacuum locking pump. The door switches seem to be no problem--a fuse will last a week or two with driving, then blow again. One seat belt presenter works and one doesn't--probably typical broken gear wheel, but wondering if either a burned out motor is drawing too much power or if an exposed wire is touching the chassis. Seats work fine. The overhead dome seat belt light continually flashes while driving. It seems like this particular fuse is the bane of many of us over the years.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're asking about the coating, John350's advice sounds great. If you're asking what that wire does, on my car it feeds the fuel pump relay.
Thanks Mike, while I'm sure it's working fine though rather unsightly, are they available as new for replacement in your experience if necessary at some point?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to see I wasn't the only one to ask about those other wires.
Yes, I'm getting serious about undertaking as much work as I can on the car (everything minus what's needed on a lift or in-depth mechanical rebuild). So, a lot of it is new to me.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2,963 Posts
Thanks Mike, while I'm sure it's working fine though rather unsightly, are they available as new for replacement in your experience if necessary at some point?
Are you talking about the ring terminal? You can replace it if you want. They're available at most auto parts stores. Don't mess with it unless you have the right tool to crimp the new one on. A mediocre job will leave you stranded on the side of the road. I suppose you could get a pot of molten solder and dip it if it really bothers you. Otherwise, cover it in red battery terminal dressing. (You're new one will end up the same way at some point.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts