Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SL500 Magma Red Java 2006 Black SL500
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning. My friends 92 still has the original canvas top. She isn't in a place to replace the top right now as her husband recently passed and things aren't worked out.

Ok, the left rear portion of the top has pulled away from the metal frame. This is on the curve where the trunk and quarter panel are. There is glue residue on the metal. Was this part of the top glued to the frame? She has owned the car since 94 so I know that this wasn't a repair from a previous owner. If this is a glued area, can anyone suggest the correct glue to use to reattach the canvas to the frame.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,020 Posts
ShoeGoo will stick to almost anything : Metal, wood, plastic, fabric etc.

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,210 Posts
pliobond industrial contact cement is what is often claimed to be what mercedes used or recomends. That's what I used to glue a new headliner to the rear bow. Worked perfect and is still holding after 5 years.

·
Registered
2000 SL500 Magma Red Java 2006 Black SL500
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pliobond industrial contact cement is what is often claimed to be what mercedes used or recomends. That's what I used to glue a new headliner to the rear bow. Worked perfect and is still holding after 5 years.
Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts