Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Daily Drive 82 240D 4 speed
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's with me?

I love how they give all the fun a rwd car should when the coast is clear, and yet be so composed when it isn't. :eclipsee_steering:

·
Registered
77 280E, 78 450SEL, 86 300E, 87 300E, 90 300E, 92 400E & 4 scooters
233 Posts
Drizzy, I like your style.

I have a "Winter use" 450SEL : )

and to your "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than drive a fast car slow"

I sold my 1000cc RC51 and bought a 50cc Ruckus scooter. In true gear head fashion, I pulled the 50cc engine and stuffed a 150cc engine in the scoot.

Stupid is fun!

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
I am also looking forward to the snow. I'm still slacking - I need some 15" rims for my snow tires to fit the ol' Merc. Had all summer to hunt for'em but I keep putting it off.

Dave aka Ghan

·
Registered
Daily Drive 82 240D 4 speed
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sold my 1000cc RC51 and bought a 50cc Ruckus scooter. In true gear head fashion, I pulled the 50cc engine and stuffed a 150cc engine in the scoot.

Stupid is fun!
sweet build! love "sure lets do that" builds.

"Stupid is fun" hahahaha. totally agree.

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
Advice on glow plugs :

Short story:

if you have a lot of miles (I know, define "a lot"), you at least want to buy a new set and keep them and the tools for changing in the car. Finally had one go bad after 25 years and 365k miles. I'm not the original owner, but bought it at 11 yrs / 104k, so most likely they were original. (BTW - Is this anywhere near a mileage record having all original plugs last that long?)

I bought 5 plugs and replaced the bad one. Waited until a Sat morning so I had a cool engine to work on. About 10 days later another plug quit, and a few days later a 3rd quit. The other two have remained okay through the rest of the winter, spring, summer, fall.

They were very snug - just be careful - slow. The new ones seem like they stick out an itty-bit further than the originals. I cleaned the opening a little bit. Maybe they needed some more cleaning.

Making a short story longer:

Case in point - I drive my car only 5 mi in the morning to a vanpool pickup point. The car stays outside all day. Whenever it's going to get lower than 40F overnight I plug it in. One winter day last year the min and max for the day was 20F / 40F, so the car cooled all the way down in the parking lot. One plug finally quit after 25 years and 365k miles. It really didn't want to start, but finally did. Got it home to verify no continuity with the plug. Drove it under same weather conditions the next day, and it would not start in the same amount of time as the previous day. Got a ride home. The next day was warmer, so it started at the end of day, and I drove to the MB place before they closed to buy the plugs, on a Fri. Replaced the one during the day Sat.

·
Registered
77 280E, 78 450SEL, 86 300E, 87 300E, 90 300E, 92 400E & 4 scooters
233 Posts
How to start a Merc deisel in cold weather per Mercedes Benz.

turn ignition on, wait for glow plug light to turn off, press accelerator to the floor, crank engine, keep accelerator pressed fully until all cylinders fire.

My 82 y/o mom watched me having starting issues last winter with my 300D. The very next day she gave me a "starting your deisel Mercedes in cold weather" pamphlet she just happen to have 30+ years.

She's 82, she knew she had it, and she knew where it was after 30 years. Worse yet, my dad had me retrieve papers he filed away 55 years ago. And here I figure "if your socks match, your good."

so floor it and crank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts