Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Cant remove water pump from housing

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Spudfather 
#1 ·
My water pump is seized and needs replacing but I cannot get it out of the housing.

I have had it submerged in vinegar for the last two days to try and break down any rust and free it, but it just wont budge.

Anyone have any suggestions?

See less See more
#4 ·
That is not true, the water pump should remove from the housing.

I would try a blow torch and a mallet at this point, maybe some PB blaster as well. If you ever get them separated I would take a dremel with a small wire wheel and polish off all of that rust.

#5 ·
Spudfather,
Your car is listed as a 230E but that is not a photo of a 230E water pump. Every picture of replacement water pump for a 230E shows the complete housing that bolts on to the front of the engine.
Don’t waste any more time or vinegar trying to extract it!
Unless of course it’s from a diesel engine perhaps?

#10 ·
I had some luck with the plumbers torch and a mallet.

There was so much crud in there but the housing will be fine once it has been cleaned up.
The pump itself is shot, as expected. But surprisingly it does now spin freely once the worst of the muck was scraped out of the shaft.

I am slightly concerned over where all that crap cam from. The care has been unused for the last 10-16 years, but even still what in the coolant system would corrode that badly and deposited innthe the pump, while the pump itself although damaged looks to be ptetty well free of corrosion?

#11 ·
That is definitely nasty, it was pretty much caused by the old coolant reacting with the different metals in the engine while the car sat, you want to do if you can or have someone do a major flush on the cooling system. Just think what could be in the rest of the system.
You know those pictures are a good argument for draining a vehicles cooling system if they're going to sit for lengthy periods of time.

#12 ·
Relieved to hear that it is a reaction with the coolant rather than some obscure component I am yet to come across giving up the ghost and disintegrating. Will definitely be giving the engine block a good flush, the idea all this much restricting the flow inside the block must be a recipe for disaster.

#13 ·
Are there any recommended aftermarket manufacturers, ones to avoid, or are they all much of a muchness?

Looking around there are loads available. Started looking at febi bilstein, but that has a plastic impeller, not sure if that is an issue, also looking at Dolz. But there are also many more, SKF I know for their bearings, are their water pumps any good?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.