Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 E320
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Ive found lots of useful info on these forums but I've got real trouble and I wonder if anyone can give me some advise.

Firstly, I own a 1996 W210 E320. That is the pre-facelift I6 engine, not the V6. Its also 5 gear auto, not the 4-matic.

After ordering some locking wheel bolts especially for this car, I stupidly didn't check them over before I put them on. Needless to say, they were too long and seem to of protuded into the parking brake drum.

Now the parking brake pedal always feels tight and the drums squeal horribly whenever I try to drive it.

I need to access the drum (I also have a new set of rear rotors on order) and I cannot seem to get the rear rotors off. I have removed the caliper completely, removed the thread-locked hex screw, and absoultely battered the hell out of the rotor with a hammer but it doesn't budge one bit.

There is a large hex screw in the middle of the drum that looks about 30mm (I would of thought it would house the bearing), however this wont budge at all. and appears to have some sort of locking device in the middle of it.

Can anybody offer any advice on what else I need to remove or how to do it, I love my MB and its really quite a worry to drive it like this.

·
Registered
W211/W210 Estate /W209/W208
1,970 Posts
Spray a rust remover like WD40 on the area of the rear brake rotor and the Hub. its rusted together ...let it soak for a while then have a go with the removal
I Have seen SEVERAL even when WD40 was used It was Really Rusted together

Also since the locking bolts took out the parking brake springs...It will make the job even harder
as the parking brake shoes are now no longer secured to the backing plate and are in the way
There is a Adjuster for the parking brake if one looks in a small hole in the rear brake rotor to adjust the tension of the rear parking brake shoes via a starwheel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts