Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2016 C300 4MATIC
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I remove a dime that has been dropped between the driver's seat and the console?

I accidentally drop it today and cannot squeeze my hand in between to get it out. I can see it right there but can't get to it. I'm thinking of using a piece of wire, attach a piece of gum at the end and try to stick the gum to the coin. Do you have any other suggestions?

It's not because of the money that I want to retrieve, it bothers me to know that there is something there that should not be there.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
02 ML 320
1,046 Posts
LOL sorry...

From the back seat try and poke at the coin until it comes out. you can use a stick or a ruler. Another method if you have a vacuum with a slender nozzle you can suck the coin out. Dont use gum it will end up sticking to something else and you will have a bigger mess.

·
Registered
2016 C300 4MATIC
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good suggestions, Andrew. Perhaps using a piece of gum at the end of a wire is not such a good idea afterall. I shall make it my project on the weekend to remove this little nuisance.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
44,077 Posts
I would redcommend x long needle nose pliers or tweezers. The pen magnets do not really work on coins, only on steel or iron. They come from 1 to 8 LB lifting capacity and the better ones have the sides insulated for no contact. Works great for dropped tools, bolts and screws.

·
Registered
1983 300SD,2002 ML500,(MBCA Member)
961 Posts
Yes, using a long needle nose plier will be the easiest way. I found 2 dimes inside the gear shift; used a nose plier to get them out.

·
Registered
961 Posts
It's not because of the money that I want to retrieve, it bothers me to know that there is something there that should not be there.
Reminds me of Adrian Monk, in the Monk series on USA channel.

JBeans,
No offense meant.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,116 Posts
pyro_la - 4/5/2006 10:09 PM

use a mechanic's bolt magnet( lookd like a pen, its extendable and has a magnet at the end)
There aren't any USA coins that will respond to a magnet, so guess it must be Canadian!

·
Registered
2016 C300 4MATIC
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No offense, of course.

Who is Adrian Monk and what kind of things does he say?

And thanks for the tip on using long needle nose pliers. I will remember it next time. But I'm glad to inform you that I tried using a ruler, sticky tape etc. to no avail. In the end, I moved over to the back seat, stuck my hand under the seat and felt the darn coin. Kind of pushed it little by little and eventually it was removed. It took me long enough and I was in the most awkward and uncomfortable position in the back seat just trying to get this nuisance out. I'll be very careful next time not to drop anything.

·
Registered
'86 190E 2.3L
1,724 Posts
JBeans - 4/11/2006 9:30 PM

No offense, of course.

And thanks for the tip on using long needle nose pliers. I will remember it next time. But I'm glad to inform you that I tried using a ruler, sticky tape etc. to no avail. In the end, I moved over to the back seat, stuck my hand under the seat and felt the darn coin. Kind of pushed it little by little and eventually it was removed. It took me long enough and I was in the most awkward and uncomfortable position in the back seat just trying to get this nuisance out. I'll be very careful next time not to drop anything.
Monk is a detective who is VERY anal about everything. It helps him solve crime, but hinders the rest of his life...thats a short description

·
Registered
961 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JBeans - 4/11/2006 9:30 PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No offense, of course.

Monk is a detective who is VERY anal about everything. It helps him solve crime, but hinders the rest of his life...thats a short description
JBeans,
Finally you were able to retrieve the coin... good.
I am glad you took it in the right spirit.

You can watch the Monk series at 10PM PST Fridays on USA channel.

·
Registered
2016 C300 4MATIC
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JBeans,
Finally you were able to retrieve the coin... good.
I am glad you took it in the right spirit.

You can watch the Monk series at 10PM PST Fridays on USA channel.
Hey Soma,

I don't have the USA channel, so I can't watch the Monk series. But I think it must be very funny. Yes, definitely no offense because I am kind of anal myself and I'm not afraid to admit it. [;)]

·
Registered
02 ML 320
1,046 Posts
Another tip for under the seat items.. Go down the street floor your car and slam on your brakes. Stop the car and look for the coin it should now be displaced and if you did it right you will have made a big skid mark.

·
Banned
1992 W126 300 SE
11,045 Posts
......and if you get it wrong you will also probably get a skidmark,but not on the pavement.[xx(]

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,288 Posts
every toolbox should always include one of those telescopic magnet probes, as well as a claw grabbers

·
Registered
2016 C300 4MATIC
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
raymond- - 4/14/2006 12:42 AM

every toolbox should always include one of those telescopic magnet probes, as well as a claw grabbers

Hi Raymond,

Thanks for the pics. The latter looks like it could also be used as a torturing device. HeHe. [:D]

·
Registered
2016 C300 4MATIC
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
deathrattle - 4/14/2006 12:19 AM

......and if you get it wrong you will also probably get a skidmark,but not on the pavement.[xx(]
There won't be any skidmark cause I swim in the water. [;)]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts