Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ML320
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I have an issue with a 2003 E320 Wagon. Well, my brother-in-law has the issue. He tells me that his family has spilled coffee and soda into the center console (the shift area) a couple of times. Now here are the symptoms since the spill. The vehicle starts. Can move the shift from park to any other position. However, the shifter cannot be placed back into park unless the engine is stopped. The gear position indicator on the dash does not change or even show what gear the vehicle is in. The gear position indicator is a rectangular gray pattern only. When the vehicle is started, the engine RPM seems to be around 1200; which is abnormally high. If the transmission is moved to reverse or drive the RPM stays high. When driving the vehicle the transmission will not shift out of first gear. Manually changing the gear by moving the shift lever to the left or right has no effect.

My thought is that the shift control must have some type of sensors that determine when to change gears and also send signals to the engine for engine speed control as well as to the dash for the gear position indicator. Is this correct? If so, is it possible to open and clean the shift control with electrical cleaner. If so, what is the actual name of the shift controller and how do I remove and clean it. Any service manual instructions would be helpful. If this is the issue and the controller needs to be replaced, does anyone have any recommendations as to where to purchase and the part number. Any help is appreciated. Thanks again for your time.

I've ordered a service manual DVD today. However, I don't anticipate deliver for about a week. This DVD will be great for future repair I'm sure.
Dan

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,506 Posts
PM email address and I will send instructions to pull panel for shifter inspection. FYI replacement parts if needed; shifter2112672524 (for comparison-shopping parts.com new $432.40) and gear indicator 2115420526 (93.15).

·
Registered
2002 ML320
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello konigstiger, thank you for the instructions. They are very helpful. I'll let you know the results of what I find out about the gearshift.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts