Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SEL
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any ides? I have tried everything I know. 1994 S500 , Battery is good. Tried both keys. Push in and turn left, turn left and push in...... Worked once then hasn't worked in 2 days. Its undergoing a safety check and they need to get into trunk. Can I get into the trunk thru rear seat? Easy? Hard? I am lost. Mercedes dealer said hes never had to deal with one.??? HELP!!!

·
Registered
W220 S320 CDI 2005; W140 S280 1994 (Sold Nov. 2012)
867 Posts
So is your remote lock/unlock not working? How did you lock the trunk in the first place? If you locked it with the key, I believe that turning the key fully to the right (90 deg clockwise) and withdrawing the key in this position will lock the trunk separately from the doors. So have you tried playing with this mode of 'relocking' and then unlocking the trunk?

Good luck!

Mike

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
Mercedes dealer an idiot, if all fails remove rear seat find pump in foam enclosure, apply a small pressure to the trunk lock line it should be one of the yelow lines plugged into the ZV port. Your pump might have a distributor plate or the later version will have a six port "t". The lines for all the doors and fuel are the same color, (pressure to unlock vacuum to lock)people have used a bike pump.
There is no way to get into the trunk since the fuel tank is in the way!

·
Registered
1987 560SEL
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Peter, I will try that if nothing else works. (This is my first MB and I am lost) , but what a great forum. Please don't laugh at me anyone..Im a virgin MB owner. I LOVE THE CAR .

Mike JT: I just closed the trunk as you would any other ...slammed it?
I have tried turning the key right / left / left / right , push in , and it just seems not to "click" and release. I now just heard that it has a power closing system...whoops...Maybe I should not have slammed it....Maybe thats why its jammed?

·
Registered
'93 300E 2.8, '95 S320, 99 S320
41 Posts
Not sure if they had it in '94, but isn't there a trunk release button above the climate control unit?

·
Registered
1987 560SEL
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is just 5 buttons there , rear defog, rear seat headrests, then I think air filter for inside air on/off , then door/trunk lock, and flashers. I have set the door lock button up and down , watched the door locks open , and close etc etc. I am going to try some WD 40 or something similar. Maybe its just stuck/jammed? Starting to pull whats left of my hair out..hehehe

·
Registered
W220 S320 CDI 2005; W140 S280 1994 (Sold Nov. 2012)
867 Posts
Thanks Peter, I will try that if nothing else works. (This is my first MB and I am lost) , but what a great forum. Please don't laugh at me anyone..Im a virgin MB owner. I LOVE THE CAR .

Mike JT: I just closed the trunk as you would any other ...slammed it?
I have tried turning the key right / left / left / right , push in , and it just seems not to "click" and release. I now just heard that it has a power closing system...whoops...Maybe I should not have slammed it....Maybe thats why its jammed?
Do you have a manual? If not, here is a link to the manuals kindly provided by Bayhas on this Forum:

http://bayhas.com/w140manu/1994 S320 S420 S500 Owner's Manual.pdf

Page 122 refers to manual closing of trunk, page 35 to the power-assisted closing. If your doors do not pull in automatically when you close them then your assisted closing system is not functioning. The normal means for resetting it (if it can be reset) is to pull fuse #9 - but this is in the trunk!

However, that's not your immediate problem and Peter's suggestion sounds like it might work.

Mike

·
Registered
1987 560SEL
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yahoo.....Got my trunk to open. Took it to the Mercedes dealer and they showed me that I have to insert key, turn it just a bit then pull back on the entire tumbler unit a bit , then turn left and push to open. I guess the key tumbler is "in" to far and needs to be replaced , but at least I can open it now. Replacement tumbler is $550.00 Yikes...Thanks for all the help everyone. I am learning!

·
Registered
1987 560SEL
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trunk key tumbler replacement 94 S500

Well my "manual key" opening for trunk wont work anymore. Mercedes mech says the tumblers are too warn , so inserting the key , and pulling back on entire unit , then turning left and pushing in, doesn't work anymore. Any ideas how I can get into my trunk? No the "PUMP system has never worked since I got the car, and is too expensive to fix right now. just want to MANUALLY use key and get in my trunk. Is there some forum where I can find instructions on how to remove tumblers in my 94 S500 trunk, ?? Thanks

Why wouldn't Mercedes put a button on the dash , in the glove box , whatever , like my 76 lincoln has????? Sheesh

·
Premium Member
M120, M119, W126*2 + Silver Avantgarde wagon
4,742 Posts
Any ides? I have tried everything I know. 1994 S500 , Battery is good. Tried both keys. Push in and turn left, turn left and push in...... Worked once then hasn't worked in 2 days. Its undergoing a safety check and they need to get into trunk. Can I get into the trunk thru rear seat? Easy? Hard? I am lost. Mercedes dealer said hes never had to deal with one.??? HELP!!!
Cut in through the trunk, then buy a parted out replacement.:D

·
Registered
1998 S600 LWB 2011 GLK 350 4matic 2013 Sprinter 2500
412 Posts
Well my "manual key" opening for trunk wont work anymore. Mercedes mech says the tumblers are too warn , so inserting the key , and pulling back on entire unit , then turning left and pushing in, doesn't work anymore. Any ideas how I can get into my trunk? No the "PUMP system has never worked since I got the car, and is too expensive to fix right now. just want to MANUALLY use key and get in my trunk. Is there some forum where I can find instructions on how to remove tumblers in my 94 S500 trunk, ?? Thanks

Why wouldn't Mercedes put a button on the dash , in the glove box , whatever , like my 76 lincoln has????? Sheesh
They did eventually. My '96, and '98 have them on the dash.:surrender:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Trunk does not open

Mercedes dealer an idiot, if all fails remove rear seat find pump in foam enclosure, apply a small pressure to the trunk lock line it should be one of the yelow lines plugged into the ZV port. Your pump might have a distributor plate or the later version will have a six port "t". The lines for all the doors and fuel are the same color, (pressure to unlock vacuum to lock)people have used a bike pump.
There is no way to get into the trunk since the fuel tank is in the way!
How do you apply pressure? Disconnect each line and pump it with a bike pump?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts