Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing the water pump on my '91 300CE with the M104 motor. I have everything out of the way, and I think 3 of the bolts are fairly accessible (There are 4 bolts, right??), but I can not figure out how to get to the top rear bolt. It's a 13 mm bolt and I have a 1/4 & a 3/8 13 mm flex socket, but I cant get to it. It sits right under the intake manifold (which I really don't want to remove!). I can't even see the thing w/o a mirror!

Any help?

Thanks, Ryan

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Changing the water pump on my '91 300CE with the M104 motor. I have everything out of the way, and I think 3 of the bolts are fairly accessible (There are 4 bolts, right??), but I can not figure out how to get to the top rear bolt. It's a 13 mm bolt and I have a 1/4 & a 3/8 13 mm flex socket, but I cant get to it. It sits right under the intake manifold (which I really don't want to remove!). I can't even see the thing w/o a mirror!

Any help?

Thanks, Ryan
Use a universal with the 1/4 inch. Use electrical tape on the universal joint to make it less flexable, but not unmovable. Usually about three to four raps on the flex area of the joint. It will help, believe me.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So 2 follow-up questions: 1) It is doable - right? and 2) Do you mean to use a 1/4 universal WITH the 1/4 13 mm flex socket (which, of course, is a universal with the socket attached)?

ryan

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
1) It is doable - right?

2) Do you mean to use a 1/4 universal WITH the 1/4 13 mm flex socket (which, of course, is a universal with the socket attached)? ryan
Doable, but you will get mad.

It would be best a straight socket and a universial. A medium 13mm is perfect, but not to may people own mediums. So you might have to toggle between a 13 deep and a 13 short.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GOT IT - #@^^&&&^%%$##$^&&*****!!!

It really helped moving the idle air control valve out of the way - at least then I could see what I was aiming at and had a little bit of room to help guide the socket on to the head of the bolt.

I used a 1/4" 13mm flex head socket on the bolt, attached to a 6" extension, which was attached to a 1/4" universal just underneath the front side of the intake manifold. Then I attached another 1/4", 6" extension to this universal and SUCCESS! Once you know where the bolts are etc. I can see this job taking half the time the next time around!

Thanks for the help! Any advice in putting things back together (which doesn't look nearly as difficult now)? I am a little concerned bout the tensioner assembly...

ryan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts