Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6; 2010 Porsche Boxster; 2009 Mini Clubman
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - so I am really not stupid when it comes to taking off a wheel, but I can't for the life of me start to get the lugs loosened off for the life of me. I just had the tires replaced, so does anyone think it could be overtightening by the impact gun? I don't have one, so I am trying to get them off manually. Anyway, another thing I find wiered is the tops of the lugs appear to spin separate from the lug.

I really was planning on changing my rear shocks today, but not sure if it's going to happen!

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,493 Posts
Sounds like it could be overtightening by the impact gun. Whenever I go get the tires rotated I always watch them and make sure they hand tighten the lugs. Try using a really long breaker bar to get them loose.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I figured. What a bunch of A__holes! I don't have a long breaker bar, so will need to take it to them tomorrow and have them loosen and tighten them by hand.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
That's what I figured. What a bunch of A__holes! I don't have a long breaker bar, so will need to take it to them tomorrow and have them loosen and tighten them by hand.
A long tube that slides on to the factory lug wrench works wonders.

I have one of these per car for those moments. I also make sure the tire shop tightens them by hand to spec.

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,103 Posts
Same thing happened to me last month. I had a slow leak fixed in one tire and the local tire dealer must have used an impact wrench to put the lugs back on. When I got home I was going to check the torque and had a hell of a time removing the lugs. Had to use a breaker bar with a 4' pipe attached to break them loose. The proper torque on my 1990 190E is only 80ft/lbs.
Mike

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,493 Posts
Things you can use as breaker bars are PVC/metal pipes and floor jack handles. I actually keep a 2 foot PVC pipe in the trunk for emergency tire changes. Nothing worse than having to stomp up and down on that factory wrench.

·
Registered
190D
344 Posts
Ok - so I am really not stupid when it comes to taking off a wheel, but I can't for the life of me start to get the lugs loosened off for the life of me. I just had the tires replaced, so does anyone think it could be overtightening by the impact gun? I don't have one, so I am trying to get them off manually. Anyway, another thing I find wiered is the tops of the lugs appear to spin separate from the lug.

I really was planning on changing my rear shocks today, but not sure if it's going to happen!

Over-tightened.

Just take it back to same shop and ask them to undue it w/ impact wrench

what could be simpler ? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Over-tightened.

Just take it back to same shop and ask them to undue it w/ impact wrench

what could be simpler ? :rolleyes:
Except that menuche30 wanted to work on his car today and most places are closed, being Thanksgiving.

I have this thing about taking anything back to the person that screwed it up in the first place.
Mike

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike - what is your thing for taking stuff back to the dip sh_ts that screwed it up? you do or dont?

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6, 1990 300SEL, 1992 300SE, 1992 400E, 1987 190E 2.6 murdered by my brother.
1,291 Posts
Get a breaker bar...get some PVC or any metal pipe and see if you can extend it out to 5-6 feet long for the torque that is needed to break the bolts. Or you can take it back to the place that did your tires and have them take it off. They impact gunned the bolts in at 120PSI it sounds like...it will be a pita to remove. Shit might break too.

Never let tire shops impact gun the bolts in. They always say oh it has a auto stop. Yeah they dont work. MAKE THEM HAND TIGHTEN all the bolts in and then torque each one to the specified ft lbs which is 81 for our cars. They always gun it in at 120PSI and then check with a torque wrench....oh its good....NOT! The torque wrench will click once it reaches 81 ft lbs so that is not a good gauge of how tight the bolts got put on.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Mike - what is your thing for taking stuff back to the dip sh_ts that screwed it up? you do or dont?
I don't.
If someone screwed up something due to ignorance there is no way I'm going to give that moron another chance. However if it was a simple oversight I will let the person know but will still not let them fix it.
I expect some level of quality for the $75 - $95 per hour I am paying them.
In the case of my tire repair I told them that I fixed the tight bolts myself and properly torqued them then canceled my appointment to have the brakes bled.

My manual specifies 80 ft/lbs for the wheel bolts on my 1990 190E or 81 ft/lbs if converting from the 110nm spec. I'm kind of not worried which is more correct, 80 or 81.
It's 110 ft/lbs for my 2 ML's.
Mike

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
I don't.
If someone screwed up something due to ignorance there is no way I'm going to give that moron another chance. However if it was a simple oversight I will let the person know but will still not let them fix it.
I expect some level of quality for the $75 - $95 per hour I am paying them.
In the case of my tire repair I told them that I fixed the tight bolts myself and properly torqued them then canceled my appointment to have the brakes bled.

My manual specifies 80 ft/lbs for the wheel bolts on my 1990 190E or 81 ft/lbs if converting from the 110nm spec. I'm kind of not worried which is more correct, 80 or 81.
It's 110 ft/lbs for my 2 ML's.
Mike
^^ i agree never give someone that screwed up ur car a 2nd chance. my cars a perfect example....

my breaker bar

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holy crap - that is a huge bar!! I don't think I need anything that big. Maybe I'll get one tomorrow and give it a swing. It's just easier to bring it back and tell them to loosen the lugs and hand tighten them.

BTW Jippi - did you get the engine put back in your car?

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
Holy crap - that is a huge bar!! I don't think I need anything that big. Maybe I'll get one tomorrow and give it a swing. It's just easier to bring it back and tell them to loosen the lugs and hand tighten them.

BTW Jippi - did you get the engine put back in your car?
nope still out. im about to do a fast and furious ted wheres my engine..

·
Registered
190D
344 Posts
Nothing beats an air gun which can generate 200-300 lb/ft of torque in a split second

the problem with hand wrench is that you risk misalignment and rounding off the bolt which will get you in a whole lot of trouble - as it happened to someone on this board just recently :surrender:

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
no offense but no mechanic is gonna waste their time hand tightening your wheel nuts as most mechanics nowadays are paid flat rate, meaning per job. That is a waste of time to hand tighten your wheels for a mehcanci that is making only 16 dollars on installing 4 tires. Im a mechanic so i know, and ive been a mechanic for only 3 years now but i see the trend everywhere. IF you find a hourly shop, then maybe they will do a good job, but 80% of shops are flat rate where the mechanic works for speed. And by the way, if the guy used a torque stick on his airgun, you would have less of a problem. I use a torque stick everytime i tighten the wheels and i up to around 90ft/lb on every car including my own 190E. I don't have problems like that but the people that don't use torque sticks do have problems.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
no offense but no mechanic is gonna waste their time hand tightening your wheel nuts as most mechanics nowadays are paid flat rate, meaning per job. That is a waste of time to hand tighten your wheels for a mehcanci that is making only 16 dollars on installing 4 tires. Im a mechanic so i know, and ive been a mechanic for only 3 years now but i see the trend everywhere. IF you find a hourly shop, then maybe they will do a good job, but 80% of shops are flat rate where the mechanic works for speed. And by the way, if the guy used a torque stick on his airgun, you would have less of a problem. I use a torque stick everytime i tighten the wheels and i up to around 90ft/lb on every car including my own 190E. I don't have problems like that but the people that don't use torque sticks do have problems.
No offense but I disagree. First of all, with all the tire shops around here, they either do the job as I, the customer, want or they simply don't get my business. It's not a waste of my time to get the job done correct. In your case you would have torqued my ML's bolts to 90ft/lbs, 20 ft/lbs lower than spec. Torque sticks are OK and a somewhat acceptable alternative to get my vehicles home so I can re-torque to the proper specification. At least a torque stick would have prevented this entire string of posts.

As far as finances go, my tip to the mechanic more than covers his extra time to do it correctly. As far as the business goes, they get no tip but they did get my business.

menuche30 has every right to go back and demand that they torque his wheel bolts properly. Wheel bolt torque is a design specification, not some arbitrary number.

When I rotate my tires I use my impact gun to remove the lug bolts but never use it to install the bolts. I always start any bolt by hand to prevent cross threading. After all it's me that is going to have to pay for new wheel flanges and bolts after some inattentive mechanic screws them up.

Mike

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree with Mike ML and didn't think this post would go this far lol! Sranjesuper, since you are relatively young in the workforce, this will be a good reminder that one small screw up, like overtightened lug nuts, will cause the loss of a customer, plus others. That means dollars in your pocket. Sure, there are always a lot of customers out there, but loyalty and repeat customers is how you sustain and maintain business.

I went to the Goodyear around the corner and got a good price for my tires, alignment, etc., but I would have rather paid and extra 1/4 hour of labor so that I would not give myself a hernia to get the lugs off. I go to a local German auto repair place to have major mechanical things done and they have been in business since 1971 and DO NOT ADVERTISE. They are so busy it takes a week for an appointment. They have really high standards on repairs and do not overcharge. They just got rid of their 3rd mechanic because he did not live up to their standards.

I am not trying to lecture you on what you should do, but if you do right by your customer they will return. Make one upset, and they plus potentially 7 more will not visit your establishment.

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
All shops are suppose to torque down lugnuts before the car leaves the shop here in the states. if for any reason they dont properly torque them down and the wheel falls off they are liable and sue happy people are gonna sue. even the crappy shop that fubarred my motor torque down lugnuts before the car leaves the shop. im gonna close this before something bad happens, it looks like the op's question has already been answered.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.