Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help. looking at a 1989 190E that has been sitting for over 6 months. One key, rotates in drivers door, lock knob doesn't move. Key doesn't turn in passenger side lock but does unlock the boot. Battery likely flat, but don't these have vacuum central locking? Will I have to break in? Is there a way to get the bonnet open from the outside only, and would a chargds battery make a differences.

·
Registered
1993 Mecedes-Benz 190E 2.6L - W201
50 Posts
try opening it from the trunk. if there is enough juice in the battery, the vacuum from the trunk acts as the central. should open all doors, that's how i currently operate mine lol..

·
Registered
1989 300SE 240k miles
2,886 Posts
Is the pump in the boot? If so, you can jump the pump and unlock the doors.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 240k miles
2,886 Posts
You could disconnect the vacuum line at the pump, and use a hand pressure pump (like for bleeding brakes). That will pressurize the system and unlock the locks.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 240k miles
2,886 Posts
As far as jumping the pump, i dont know. I did however get stuck in the same situation and had to break in my car lol.
Feel this. The r129’s trunks have a bar that runs between the door lock cylinder and the lock mechanism. One time I removed that bar, and accidentally closed the trunk. It locked. The key worked in the cylinder, but was disconnected from the lock. I had to bust out a tail light to get at the locking mechanism itself.

·
Registered
95,94,93 e320/300e
491 Posts
If you turn the key and hold it ., does it open all the windows?

·
Registered
W124, 230E 5 speeds Manual, 1987
340 Posts
If I was in your place I would try to spray some WD40 in the passenger door lock and make it turn and try to unlock that door mechanically before breaking anything.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
3,436 Posts
Dont damage anything just yet . ..Only way in is the door lock ..The battery is dead the vacuum pump wont open the doors or trunk .The only way in is to open door locks with your key . Keep playing with the key and ,,like post up above try WD 40

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
3,436 Posts
Try and release the handle through the the front of the grill look inside you might see a catch or arm that the cable goes on too if you can get a strong wire and pull it .

·
Outstanding Contributor
'85 300D Turbo, '91 420SEL, '92 190E 2.6, '09 C350, '12 E63 Wagon
3,458 Posts
Try graphite lubricant if you think it may turn. WD-40 is more temporary as it absorbs dirt.

I do believe the pump is underneath the back seat, which doesn't help you I'm afraid.

Calling AAA may be in order...

·
Registered
1989 300SE 240k miles
2,886 Posts
If the pumps under the back seat, I definitely support graphite lubricant in that lock. And, seeing if there’s a way to access the hood release cable. And pull it to access the dead battery.

·
Outstanding Contributor
'85 300D Turbo, '91 420SEL, '92 190E 2.6, '09 C350, '12 E63 Wagon
3,458 Posts
Wait. Was it a W201 that a moderator on here got stuck with? I think he ended up applying vacuum to the lines accessible near the trunk lock and was successful unlocking the door(s). May be worth a shot....

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL, 1992 190e 2.3, 1984 300D turbo, 1966 VW bus
923 Posts
does the key just rotate around and around with no resistance? If you can turn it a full 360 degrees or more the metal "T" shape has broken off. Happened to me, had to get new door lock.

The vacuum pump is under the rear seat passenger side.

Maybe you could trickle charge the battery through the trunk. Tap into the trunk dome light contacts and keep the trunk door open for a few days (to activate the switch). Do not try to jumpstart the car this way, trickle charge only with something like a battery tender.

This should charge the battery enough to operate the vacuum pump right?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone. I rang my car club today, they couoldn't help becuase it wan't mine and wasn't registered. So I bought it, and got a day registration. I was about to ring my car club (RACT) whne I suddenly had an ides to get the key copied. Key was read and cut based on what it should have been! Opened the door straight off, jump started by my trusty 300TD, drove it home. A few obvious things to do. First is rear muffler. Any ideas where to source in Australia?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,662 Posts
Excellent 👍

1 - 16 of 16 Posts