Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
currently no MBs
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
This is for my Dad's '92 190e 2.6L. His car has central locking and a factory installed alarm. The driver's side door handle no longer locks and unlocks the car as it did. I ordered a few handles, but they never come with the part that I need to fix it. After the lock cylinder there is some wire thing that sends the signal to a sensor or whatever it is. The stealerships want $400 for this part. Does anyone have any idea where I can find one cheaper ? Someone said that this is a common problem with these cars. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

· Registered
1991 190E 2.6
7 Posts
If the doorlocks with the key from the trunk all but the drivers door, I know the problem....

If the doorlocks with the key from the trunk all but the drivers door, I know the problem. I just fixed mine. Inside the doorpanel the vacuum switch has a rod comming out of it going up. This rod has a loop on the end at the top. There is supposed to be a plastic barrel stuck in the end of the rod loop. From the doorlock cylinder there is a linkage with a loop on the end as well. You guessed it. the same plastic barrel's other end is stuck in this loop from the doorlock. Finally the doorlock button(from the inside top of the door) has a rod that has a bend at the end in the door. The plastic barrel has a hole in its center. The rod goes inside. The problem I found plastic barrel had come out of the loops. It was stuck in between the vaccum switch and the door. I loosened the switch and it fell out. It is white and small. I have called my dealer and asked about this part and so far no luck. Lucky for me I could still put mine back in the assembly. Getting the door apart is easy. I bought the manual on cd. It really helps.

Good luck.

Steve

· Registered
00 S500,99 4wgn,87TD
577 Posts
Hello,
This is for my Dad's '92 190e 2.6L. His car has central locking and a factory installed alarm. The driver's side door handle no longer locks and unlocks the car as it did. I ordered a few handles, but they never come with the part that I need to fix it. After the lock cylinder there is some wire thing that sends the signal to a sensor or whatever it is. The stealerships want $400 for this part. Does anyone have any idea where I can find one cheaper ? Someone said that this is a common problem with these cars. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
What you need is a door lock actuator. under $60

· Registered
currently no MBs
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sstrickstein, its not that white plastic piece, but thanks. I got a whole replacement set ...

sstrickstein, its not that white plastic piece, but thanks. I got a whole replacement set and it included the part that you described. That was not it. My Dad will not let me take apart the door, this car is his baby. Its the nicest car that he has ever owned. Where can I get the CD you mentioned ?

BENZDOC, Please tell me about the door lock activator. What does it look like and where can I get one ? Thanks BTW.

· Registered
00 S500,99 4wgn,87TD
577 Posts
At the bottom of the door is a vacuum actuator that will lock the drivers door if locked...

At the bottom of the door is a vacuum actuator that will lock the drivers door if locked from the trunk or pas door. All doors (and gas door) have them. The only difference is that the drivers door, passengers door and trunk have an electric switch in them. The heart of the system is the lock pump. When you lock your car, the switch in the actuator will energize the pump. When locking the car, the pump makes 20 inches of vacuum. This in turn locks the rest or the car by sucking down the actuators. When you unlock the car, the pump makes 2 psi, which inturn unlocks the car. The actuator in the drivers door is bad. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. The wires in the handles, actually the lock cylinder,activate the factory alarm. Thats why they did not "fix" the problem.......Kevin

· Registered
currently no MBs
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot

I appreciate you explaing, but its still not clear to me what $60 part will fix this problem. Someone at the parts dept at the MB dealship faxed me a sheet of all the parts on the driver's side door relating to the door handle. Do you know the number of the DLA part, please ? Where in NY are you BTW ?

· Registered
00 S500,99 4wgn,87TD
577 Posts
In Glen Cove,LI. I think the part # you need is 124 800 21 75. It's at the bottom of th...

In Glen Cove,LI. I think the part # you need is 124 800 21 75. It's at the bottom of the door. Remove door panel and you will find it at the bottom towards the rear. Good luck.This tape will self destruct in 5 seconds.............

· Registered
currently no MBs
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again, and now for another stupid question please...where can I find that part fo...

Thanks again, and now for another stupid question please...where can I find that part for sale ?

On a different note, is it completely out of the question to meet you someplace on the Island (convienient to you) so you could possibly take a look at it and diagnose it better ? I hope that you are correct, but Dad's mechanic has a different view.[:)]

· Registered
currently no MBs
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
new developments....

I just talked to my Dad and he told me some more bad news about his 190. He cannot lock the car at all now. The passenger side just locks itself, and the trunk only locks the trunk too. Before he could lock the whole car from the pass side but never tried from the trunk. This puts a new spin on things, eh ? Any ideas pls ?

· Registered
00 S500,99 4wgn,87TD
577 Posts
sOUNDS LIKE NOW YOU HAVE A BLOWN CENTRAL LOCK FUSE, OR THE VACUUM PUMP IS TAKING A SIEST...

Sounds like you have a blown central locking fuse or your vacuum pump is taking a siesta. I have seen these pumps function again after they have been unplugged and replugged. Check the fuse first. (enjoy the wonderful fuse box design)!! As for meeting me, call me @ 516-676-2886......Kevin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.