Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my CL600 today in Chicago and drove it 6 hours back to Cleveland. The car has an alarm or message of some kind that makes a chirp about every 3 seconds.
I called the dealer and he said it was the built in Radar detector and it could not be silenced without taking it to mercedes and haveing the wire snipped. Do they have built in radar??
I had to listen to it the entire way home. Is there an easier way to silence it?? The noise is coming from the top left dash area. Im starting to think it could be the back up sensor maybe??

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
I dont know, but Mercedes does not just snip wires, I dont think it has radar either unless it was added by the previous owner. Does the instrument cluster indicate any faults?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No the cluster shows no faults and the message center says no malfunctions. I thought what the dealer said was probably BS. I passed several cops on the highway and the beep did not change. It just chirps every 3 seconds. It did not stop or change at all the entire drive. just an annoying chirp every 3 seconds. The sound comes from the upper driver side dash area.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,430 Posts
What is the TEL-AID? I was also thinking maybe the parktronic sensor alarm?
Cannot be Parktronic. It does not give that sound. It turns off at speed and the malfunction sound is only given when Parktronic is switched on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im starting to think it is maybe a radar detector?? It makes a bunch of chips and beeps when you first start the car the goes to the 3 second delay chirp. It sounds exactly like the aftermarket lazer/radar detector I used to have.

·
Registered
2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
1,335 Posts
I'm about 98% sure there is no such thing as a MB factory-installed or even dealer-installed radar detector. If you have one, it was added by the previous owner and it should be apparent as an add-on. I know there are some detectors that have remote sensors you can mount in the grille or below the rear bumper, so it may not be an obvious hang-by-the-power-cord-by-the-rear-view-mirror-kind like we are used to seeing. Even so, it's not going to be built into the dash or part of Comand unless someone spent a very large amount of money on the install. that start-up chirping sounds like an old Passport radar detector. Look under the lower edges of the dash around the driver's knees and see if there is an out-of-place electronic gizmo lurking out of sight. I don't know of any part of the normal noise the car might make that is a chirp like you describe. Sorry I can't be more help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts