Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry that i'm starting a new thread for this, but I need help
Im trying to remove my fan clutch bolt with the 36mil wretch and It wont come off. It keeps "stripping" the bolt. Before I really screw myself, any advice????

I saw a thread where someone sawed it off??

·
Registered
880 Posts
Soak it with WD40 or something like it.

An impact wrench would take it off, but the radiator and condenser would have to come out.

Horrible thought, maybe someone put it on with an impact wrench.

Can the water pump come out without taking off the fan clutch?

·
Registered
07 C280 4Matic, 88 MR2-SC
635 Posts
Looking at this image it does NOT look like it is reverse threaded.

NP

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm going to guess that it's a M111, in which case you will need a big fairly blunt chisel.

Turn the nut so a flat is at the top facing up, strike the angle of the nut in a clockwise direction a few times to shock it off.

Once it's gone it will spin off easily, try not to hit the rad cowling or anything near by.

This method never fails :)

It is left hand thread as well/

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry for the delayed response.

I have a 99 c230kompressor. so the M111?
and I guess I could take off the water pump and try from there. Yesterday I walked away from my car and computer, I was getting p***ed and i didn't want to break anything (ie. water pump, radiator) lol.

So wait, is it not reverse threaded???

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to guess that it's a M111, in which case you will need a big fairly blunt chisel.

Turn the nut so a flat is at the top facing up, strike the angle of the nut in a clockwise direction a few times to shock it off.

Once it's gone it will spin off easily, try not to hit the rad cowling or anything near by.

This method never fails :)

It is left hand thread as well/

I was going to try that but I read that impact and vibration couldn't be good for the water pump, so i did not try. Last thing I need is to replace the water pump now, ha.

·
Registered
880 Posts
My BMW is reverse threaded. My '97 C280 is reverse threaded. Most German cars use the same parts from the same manufacturers.

Be aware that water pumps are cheap, and anyway I don't think you'll hurt the pump. The impact is not in/out, it's in the 'turning' direction.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts