Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2003 S55 AMG
343 Posts
yes correct, on the flat surface of the hub that the wheel mates to, there is a round lip on the circumference of the hole in the middle, just fold the extra unused width of the PVC tape into the center hole. Clean it with a wire brush and brake cleaner and let dry before applying tape. Also, when I had my drive drive rebuilt, they marked with arrows each half to align the spline that separates both drive shaft halves and also threaded in a hex grub screw to ensure once the drive shaft was fully installed, and tightened there was no play in the center spline bearing. Those spline pin bearings where the two halves meet (in front of the universal joint) were also replaced.

·
Banned
2005 Mercedes S500 Designo with ABC
145 Posts
Somethings I have learnt about vibs at 60-80 mph with my aftermarket wider AMG rims.....After motor mounts, transmission mount, rechecks of rim out of round fixed, multi tire choices and re balancing, a rebuilt driveshaft - re balanced, new parts and new flex joints etc......what really made a difference more than anything to cure it was wrapping the concentric lip on each wheel hub with ONE wrap of PVC electrical tape. My wheel rim supplier told me that race cars use this trick when they have vibs on their concentric rims. Apparently, above 60 mph G-forces are high enough to create a vib between 60-80 mph IF the concentric rings are slightly out of tolerance.
I will give this a try, b/c I'm going crazy.
Here is my thread:
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/2546433-inexplicable-vibrations-70mph.html

21 - 22 of 22 Posts