Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting pissed

My 2003 S500 Sport has always had a little vibration at speeds over 60 since i bought it 6 months ago. I chalked it up to just needing to get the front tires balanced (I bought new rear ones when i got it and watched them balance them) and i never drive on the highway so i never cared to get it corrected. FYI the car just turned 62k miles

I do more highway driving now and the second day it drove me nuts. I took it to the tire store and had all 4 wheels road force balanced. While the wheels were off we checked bearings, control arms, etc for any play or signs of wear and all looks perfect. I also two months ago installed a new comporessor and relay in the airmatic system and had the entire system gone over by an MB tech and given a clean bill of health

Today we did find i have a bent rear wheel so i was actually happy as that is an easy fix. HOWEVER I put the never before used spare on the back while waiting for the wheel to be fixed tomorrow and while the vibration is better it is still there. Obviously this means when i get my true wheel back with a road force balanced tire the vibration will still be there as well

Its not mounts as i had to replace those on my SL and know how to test for that (it will not do it in neutral at any RPM and is not RPM specific while driving)

What else can i look for. The whole point of an S class besides room is the ride. This is driving me nuts and i am not about to just start throwing parts at it.

Please advise,
Robert

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sometimes its the Tires-even new

I had a similar problem with my Audi A8. From NEW. No amount of balancing (road force by 3 different people) could get the shake out of the car. It came in at around 65. The short story was, the tires (Michelin Pilot Sport) had a similar vibration moment as the car, so they supported one another and shook. It was not until I put on Dunlop SP 250's that the car assumed a TOTALLY different personality. GLASS SMOOTH at ALL SPEEDS.
That's what worked for me.
Good luck.
Norm

I am getting pissed

My 2003 S500 Sport has always had a little vibration at speeds over 60 since i bought it 6 months ago. I chalked it up to just needing to get the front tires balanced (I bought new rear ones when i got it and watched them balance them) and i never drive on the highway so i never cared to get it corrected. FYI the car just turned 62k miles

I do more highway driving now and the second day it drove me nuts. I took it to the tire store and had all 4 wheels road force balanced. While the wheels were off we checked bearings, control arms, etc for any play or signs of wear and all looks perfect. I also two months ago installed a new comporessor and relay in the airmatic system and had the entire system gone over by an MB tech and given a clean bill of health

Today we did find i have a bent rear wheel so i was actually happy as that is an easy fix. HOWEVER I put the never before used spare on the back while waiting for the wheel to be fixed tomorrow and while the vibration is better it is still there. Obviously this means when i get my true wheel back with a road force balanced tire the vibration will still be there as well

Its not mounts as i had to replace those on my SL and know how to test for that (it will not do it in neutral at any RPM and is not RPM specific while driving)

What else can i look for. The whole point of an S class besides room is the ride. This is driving me nuts and i am not about to just start throwing parts at it.

Please advise,
Robert

·
Registered
25 Posts
its the ball joint. my dads s500 has the same problem. replacing those will fix it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mine has had the same problem. I have went through 3 sets of rims and 4 sets of tires. This last time was the first time anyone, including the dealer, could get them right. I dread when these tires wear out and I have to get another balance.

Also, I have heard that there is a steering damper that can also cause this.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I ahve the same on my S600, vibrates from 60-80, worst at 70. its not severe and not thru the steering whhel, more like th ebody, but definatly noticable. i have had all the tyres changed and balanced twice. however I have some very mild juddering under braking and you can feel a light "clunk" going over very uneven serfaces (speed bumps etc) at low speed from the front, so i am figuring its worn bushes etc. going to drop mine into the shop in the next few weeks when I have time.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Easiest thing to do is to swap the wheels and tires off a car that is known not to vibrate. If it is still there, than you have to look further. Is it in the steering wheel, or the entire car? Could be a driveshaft, flex disc, motor mounts, collapsed rear trans mount that is throwing off the driveshaft angle. Start with wheels and tires. Mercedes are known to have rim and tire problems.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,842 Posts
"Balancing" a wheel is not quite so simple as one may sometimes think. "Runout" is just one problem that can cause vibration despite otherwise good balance. Runout may be vertical (out of round) or horizontal (literally, the tire is twisted). Further, the wheels themselves may have runout, and if the high spot of a tire is not matched to the low spot on a wheel when both have runout, the problem can be very noticeable. It may be possible to resolve the problem by marking high and low spots on both the tire and wheel, and rotating (remounting) the tire on the wheel, to compensate.

For a fairly simple discussion of runout and some of the other problems that can cause vibration, see Wheel Balancing

Of course, vibration can come from the other sources mentioned in prior posts above.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had similar issues with both BMW540i and S430 4matic, the short story is replace the tires solved the problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
Just been reading about your S class vibration problems. I have a 2004 S350 with similar problems. I've tried various tyre options, had them force match balanced, recently had the wheels balanced on the car and just about everything else. Did you manage to get to the bottom of the problem with yours. I am thinking of mounts or propshaft centre bearing and mounting.
Dave

·
Registered
320 Posts
Engine mounts, transmission mounts, and flex discs. Have them checked.

Have you checked the motor & trans mounts ?

Or perhaps it's the power stearing pump ?

It could be a number of things !

Process of elimination.

Red, *<:){)-

·
Registered
49 Posts
A couple fo questions since you indicated the vibrations occurs at 60mph, Is this with the stock wheels or aftermarket ones? Vibrations at 55mph to 60mph may indicate that the front tire/wheels are not round.

·
Registered
3 Posts
HUB-CENTRIC RINGS
I had a vibration from my car from 60-80mph.
They were 10 bucks at les schawb or any tire store.
They molded my rims to my cars hub.
I was amazed and its only 10 bucks compared to what youve spent on every other attempt to fix the problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
HUB-CENTRIC RINGS
I had a vibration from my car from 60-80mph.
They were 10 bucks at les schawb or any tire store.
They molded my rims to my cars hub.
I was amazed and its only 10 bucks compared to what youve spent on every other attempt to fix the problem.
Cured my Vibration, the hub on the W220 measurement is 66.56mm, you will need to measure the hole in your wheels...This will make your the wheels sit on center of the hub.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nothing has changed in 12 years. My 2013 X166 350 diesel does the same thing. New set of tires and Hunter balance and the vibration is still there.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Somethings I have learnt about vibs at 60-80 mph with my aftermarket wider AMG rims.....After motor mounts, transmission mount, rechecks of rim out of round fixed, multi tire choices and re balancing, a rebuilt driveshaft - re balanced, new parts and new flex joints etc......what really made a difference more than anything to cure it was wrapping the concentric lip on each wheel hub with ONE wrap of PVC electrical tape. My wheel rim supplier told me that race cars use this trick when they have vibs on their concentric rims. Apparently, above 60 mph G-forces are high enough to create a vib between 60-80 mph IF the concentric rings are slightly out of tolerance.

·
W220 Moderator
5,531 Posts
Hi @jnash ,

An old thread, but I'm glad you did post up :wink

So you mean where the centre bore of the Wheel meets the Hub yes ?

I've only done 5 miles odd on brand new Tyres and Re furbished AMG Staggered Wheels, but I swear I had a very slight Harmonic at 60 -70 that definitely wasn't there .................

Wheels were dead true in Balancer, it's too early days yet, but if they don't settle after I've done 100 miles or so then I'll give that a go :smile

Cheers,

·
Registered
940 Posts
Easy way to balance prop shaft or drive shaft . Do this if you dont want to remove it for balancing .. Jack the car up .Then link a pair of jubilee clip together end to end and fit them around the prop shaft. Mark both shaft and clips , now its trial and error time . Give the car a spin out if no change open the clip and move around clock wise to another location on the shaft ,re mark the shaft as you know where it has been. Only move it a 1/4 inch at a time .Good luck .Only do this if all other help did not fix your problem Reason for this most times is that the prop shaft is removed for work on one part or another without marking the parts up so they go back in the same place as they are removed from , this will leave the shaft out of balance .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
18 Participants
Fried Chicken
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing