Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 W220 s500L
The keyless go card works fine and functions as it should.
One of the smart keys starts the car but I cannot get out of PARK. If I switch off, the key no longer turns.
The other smart key does not turn in the ignition switch at all, no matter how long you leave it in there.
Has anyone had the same problem and found a solution?
Mercedes main dealer says there is no fault coming up but says I need a new EIS at £630.

·
Registered
2000 and 2003 W220 S500
930 Posts
Are you saying that if you use the Keyless Go, the car works perfectly?
It can get out of park and everything?

If not...
Place the car in a heated garage (70F or higher) and wait a few hours.
Don't use your keyless go but your key.
If the car can start, then turn off, then start again, it's most likely the EIS.
The EIS doesn't like the cold.

If you've used the 2nd key in the past and it worked and right now it can still unlock the car but not turn the ignition, then it will work again when the new EIS gets installed.
It just needs to sit in the ignition for a few hours to relearn the codes.

If you can start, and restart multiple times but still can't get out of park, then more its likely a combination of both an EIS problem and a stuck shifter.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1455706-shifter-stuck-park-handy-tools-heres.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
Keyless go works as it should. Car starts, gets out of park, seats and mirrors move and so on.
It is just the smart key that has a problem...

·
Registered
2000 and 2003 W220 S500
930 Posts
Try having the car in a warm place for a few hours and see if it acts normally.

If you don't have access to a heated garage, use a hair dryer on the low heat - high air speed setting and have it pressed against the key hole.

The idea is to blow warm air into the EIS to warm it up but (and this is important) not melt the surrounding vinyl. Be gentle; it takes less than 5 minutes.

If the key works when its warm, then you have an EIS problem. If your keyless go works though...another keyless go might be the cheaper option. (Please don't flame me, it's just a suggestion.)

·
Registered
08 ml320 cdi,slk 230,01 boxster S,04 carrera911, 99 S320,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140
1,663 Posts
+1, try the hair dryer. it usually works.

·
Registered
2000 S500
33 Posts
I have a 2003 W220 s500L
The keyless go card works fine and functions as it should.
One of the smart keys starts the car but I cannot get out of PARK. If I switch off, the key no longer turns.
The other smart key does not turn in the ignition switch at all, no matter how long you leave it in there.
Has anyone had the same problem and found a solution?
Mercedes main dealer says there is no fault coming up but says I need a new EIS at £630.
I had this issue with my S320 a few years ago, it is a $1 bit in the shifter area, people have been able to remove the faulty part but then you can throw it into gear wether the key is in or not.. This is a fairly easy fix, let me remind myself what I did....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello
Thanks for the message
I do not think that it is the gear lever mechanism that is at fault, as with keyless go, the gear lever selects any and all gears perfectly...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts