Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Refer to my post dated 07/23/2001 re engine oil in Canada, I had my service A at 14,900km (still 1,500km to go). Surprisingly MB uses Mobil 1 SAE 15W-50 without advice. I asked the service dept and they said this is new policy. I wonder why they did not communicate to owners by mail. As mentioned in previous post, they charge you $9.95 per litre and I can save that by BYOO.<br>
<br>
Anyway, feel better as I know my car now gets synthetic. Next time I'll BYOO.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we have been here before, but<br> my dealer in calgary still says quaker state 20/50, is there a general bulletin about this?or is every dealer and service dept just putting out what they think, your right-why isnt MB saying anything?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, MB Canada changed the policy

When asked, MB Canada replied that basedon vehicle performance testing, MB Canada now recommends all 1998 and newer FSS-equipped cars to switch to synthetic. Optimal vehicle performance is best maintained through continued use of synthetic. All service advisors now begins to use synthetic on customer vehicles.<br> <br> Each dealership will contact the customers about the change. Failing that customer will be advised at their next service.<br> <br> The policy became effective on July 30, 2001.<br> <br> Don't know it is pure coincidence or they finally act after my email on July 26, 2001. Anyway it is a positive move.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been busy... am in the UK today. Anyway, Mercedes Benz Canada told me this today 29/8/01:<br> <br> <br> 'Approximately one month ago, Mercedes-Benz Canada made the decisiont to<br> switch to synthetic oil. Only Mercedes-Benz approved synthetic motor oil is<br> recommended for all vehicles equipped with the Flexible Service System.<br> Namely, the following engine oils are recommended:<br> - Quaker State full synthetic European formula (SW-40)<br> - Mobil A Tri-synthetic formula (15W-50; 0W-50)<br> - Valvoline Synpower full synthhetic oil (5W-40)<br> - Castrol Syntec (5W-50; 10W-40)<br> - Castrol TXT Softec Plus (5W-30)<br> - Shell Helix Ultra (5W-30; 5W-40)'<br> <br> <br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here in the States a letter when out maybe 2 months ago.....

apparently Mercedes finally figured out that conventional motor oil doesn't always last 10,000 miles in normal service, so from '98 models on they have gone to at least Semi-synthetic oils.<br> AMG cars leave the factory with Mobil 1, an will only be serviced with Mobil 1 at a dealership. Eather 0W-40 or 15W-50 is to be used in the AMG cars. You might want to take a hint from that.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts