Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For our Canadian friends who appear to have a shortage of non dealer suppliers, I came accross a website while perusing the local craigslist.

www. germanparts. ca

92 Brydon Drive
Etobicoke, Ontario
M9W 4N6
CANADA
(416)746-0919
Info @ GermanParts. ca

Note the spaces I put in the URL and the Email.

After going to their website, I'm not particularly impressed, but then down here we have an abundance of options.

If this is a well known link, my apologies for wasting the bandwidth. :D

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,085 Posts
The guy seems to be very helpful. I bought in the summer a serpentine belt off him at a reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,340 Posts
I have bought stuff from them and I think posted a link some time back. From what I can gather, he (or his employer) have a larger euro parts supply business that supplies various area shops. The internet business is just an add on. I didn't think he had a street address. Is that his home address? He also sells surplus stuff on eBay. ADDED: Used Google Street View! Company at that address is called Precision Auto Parts - see pic below.

My only complaint, is that he charges too much for shipping. It's OK for a larger order, but not for small orders.

His site is just a guide - he can get other stuff too. They seem to source parts direct from Germany. Even have some used SL stuff.

I recently had a problem with another place called autopartsway - They have a street address, but when someone went there, it was just a post office box.

There are many such on-line outfits that sell mainly Worldpac parts. They are often 1-man shows and never even see the parts. Just take orders and forward them to Worldpac who then ship from one of their warehouses. It works most of the time, but if something goes wrong, you are out of luck!

Better to deal with someone you can go in and talk to! I usually check first with local guys like Carquest or Fisher and another small place. they all carry Worldpac as well as other chain parts. Higher prices but offset by savings in shipping.

Same is true at MB dealer - sometimes final cost is not much different.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,085 Posts
Precision Auto Parts, that's the place I picked up my parts from. Saved shipping that way.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,356 Posts
I order 99.9% of parts on line. The local (30 miles) parts guy is an idiot. No MBCA discount. Costs too much to go there anyway because I usually go to Sears and Harbor Freight while I am in the city. Then I go to my favorite restaurant. Best fried calamari I have ever had, and an entree plus couple of beers.

We do have more choices and lower prices available than Canada.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,355 Posts
I buy a lot of stuff in the US because of the better selection. I have internet orders shipped to an address just across the border in Michigan.
Takes me 15 minutes to go over to pick up my orders, if the Homeland Security bozos aren't being bothersome.

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I order 99.9% of parts on line. The local (30 miles) parts guy is an idiot. No MBCA discount. Costs too much to go there anyway because I usually go to Sears and Harbor Freight while I am in the city. Then I go to my favorite restaurant. Best fried calamari I have ever had, and an entree plus couple of beers.

We do have more choices and lower prices available than Canada.
Damn, Jim, that spare oil filter gasket will probably set you back a hundred bucks! :D

But I'm just as guilty. When we go somewhere....anywhere....there will be food and additional shopping involved. :eek:

·
Premium Member
10,340 Posts
I buy a lot of stuff in the US because of the better selection. I have internet orders shipped to an address just across the border in Michigan.
Takes me 15 minutes to go over to pick up my orders, if the Homeland Security bozos aren't being bothersome.
I sometimes do this for large items, but we have a long round trip - It's 82 miles to UPS store in Evans Mills NY. Couple of hours each way, bridge tolls, lunch, visit Walmart Supercentre opposite UPS, buy oil, speeding fines. It adds up. Generally better to buy in Canada or have goods shipped from USA by USPS.

·
Premium Member
10,340 Posts
I did try autopartsway.ca because the prices was low and the shipment was too quick.
Thanks for Autopartsway
Great when things work, but I had a bad experience with them.

They sold me the bad "FULL" oil filters that bypassed oil instead of filtering it :(

When I brought it to their attention, they were totally uncooperative.

In researching them and other similar on-line sellers, it appears that they are just a guy or two at a computer somewhere with a flashy web presence.

They take orders and send them on, mainly to Worldpac. Worldpac has warehouses in several locations and they ship the goods to you. Autopartsway have a street address, but if you go there, you won't find anything - it's just a po box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts