Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2011 R BlueTec
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a family road trip - our first long road trip in the R350 Bluetec.

19 days starting in Toronto - with stops in Quebec City, Moncton NB, PEI, Halifax NS, Saint Johns NB, Grand Falls NB, Quebec City, Montreal, Ottawa then home.

Total mileage was about 5500 km. Longest day was about 800 km. I did the outbound trip to PEI myself (broke it into two days) and my wife and kids flew into Charlottetown and met me. Since I was the only driver, I have three different positions programmed into the seat memory and I can easily change positions which helps on long drives. I really like driving this car, so really enjoyed the trip.

Car was fantastic - average mileage (via trip computer) was 8.6 litres/100 km for the entire trip - that's with a mix of approx 75% highway 25% town/city (Montreal traffic was horrible). On the highway would typically see avg mileage of 7.9 l/100 km - that's cruising at about 115 km/hour, loaded.

We took a LOT of stuff: 2 golf bags, 4 suitcases (mid-size rollers), 2 large Thule duffel bags (beach stuff, misc) plus kid's backpacks, small cooler bag, two full size pillows, etc. Everything fit fine with a clear view out the back. For the clubs - put them sideways behind the second row seats stacked one on top of the other. (tip - wrap a golf towel around the heads to prevent noise and put raincover on). Removed the drivers and placed them on top of the bags and covered with a blanket. Suitcases were stacked in twos, and duffels were put one between suitcases and one on top of the clubs. Everything else was stuffed in the large available spaces against rear side windows. We overpacked, but had everything could possibly need - which is one of the advantages of a road trip. Had room for lots of purchases picked up on the trip too.

This car holds a TON of stuff. Even fully loaded, felt and handled great and family was very comfortable. Not one complaint.

Fuel notes: Toronto Diesel prices are much lower than Quebec and Maritime prices. In the Quebec and Maritimes, diesel was at a slight premium to regular gas. PEI was cheaper than Nova Scotia and NB for fuel, which I found surprising - must be a Provincial tax thing. A few stations only had the truck type high-flow nozzles which don't fit - not a problem as other stations were readily available - but if I ever take a long road trip - eg, into the States, would probably purchase an adapter funnel.

Tire notes: I got new tires in the Spring (Pirelli Scorpion Verde All seasons) - have been very happy with these vs the Continentals (which were worn out and had terrible wet performance). Only negative is I think the tire hum is slightly higher on the highway than the Conti's - still not bad though. Tip: I took my good bicycle pump with me which allowed me to easily check and adjust pressures. It fit easily below the rear cargo area.

Would highly recommend this trip, by the way. Lots to see, and the highways through the Maritimes are great - very little traffic and great condition. PEI and Nova Scotia were memorable, incredible beaches, scenery, and history and extremely friendly people.

Anyway, can't think of another car I would rather take on a road trip.

·
Registered
2005 C240 silver, 2008 R320CDI Cubanite
390 Posts
Great stuff! Amazing mileage you get! I do mainly highway between Ottawa and Montreal and dont get much better than 10.5. thats at 120-125kph. Seems the 350 is a step above the 320 in terms of efficiency!

Agree totaly its an amazing car for long haul. I do montreal toronto regularly non stop. Did Niagara-Montreal in february thru sleet and snow 100% safe!

·
Registered
2011 R BlueTec
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I cruise at 120 - 125, mileage usually drops off to mid 9's. Sweet spot for my car seems to be around the 110 - 115 range. Of course, cruising at 100 is even better, but seems way too slow!! I have been very impressed by the mileage so far (over one year of ownership) - City mileage isn't great, but no worse than an MDX I had and highway mileage is far better than the Highlander Hybrid I had previously (and overall mileage for my driving is much better). Far better driving car than both and more comfortable for passengers too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts