Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Sirs,

Im the owner of a Mercedes V-Class 220 CDI 1999 with Vin: VSA638294 13 200193

Can anybody inform me if you can change the v-class or Vito from air suspension to spring suspension without any problems ?

Where can I find the instruccions to do this ?

Could you inform me what parts do I have to buy to accomplish this?

When you do this can you install lowering springs to the front and back of the V-Class ?

If you can buy these parts how much would it cost?

If you don't know can you send me to an website where I can find this info?

Thank you very much and I hope to hear from you soon!

Sincerely,
Henry D. Franken
Taxi 59
[email protected]
Address: Boegoeroei 60
City: Oranjestad
Tel: 297-5620302

?

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a problem with the air suspension in my v class. I telephoned my local breakers and none of them had the parts needed. I carried out a search on the internet for the parts and I arrived at a site http://www.dronsfields.co.uk/ who are breakers of MBs.

When I spoke to Dronsfields the chap said I would not be able to get the parts needed from a breaker, I would have to go to MB direct. Rather than pay for the replacement part fro my local MB dealer I decided to change from air to spring. The chap at Dronsfields told me that I could get a pair of Vito springs for £100.00 plus VAT and carriage.

The springs arrived the next day and after jacking up and supporting my V Class I took out the airbags and set the springs in their place. I disconnected the air pipe going into the air-bags (pull back the little ring where the pipe enters the bag and at the same time pull out the pipe) and the electrics from the air compressor. I wrapped the electrical connections in a plastic bag and sealed it with tape. I tucked the loom up into the compressor housing to stop them dragging on the ground.

The V Class on the Vito springs sits lower than it did with the air suspension and give a slightly more harsh ride. I had to adjust the headlights because they where lighting up the tops of trees and I was blinding on-coming drivers while on dip.

If I could get a set of lowering springs for the front of the V Class I would put them in. The car handles better on corners now than it did with the air. It would probably handle better with the front lowered too.

Hope the information is of help to you.

Regards

Tom

·
Registered
62 Posts
Changing V-class rear air to springs

I have a V-class and am interested in lowering it but am concerned that if I just fir front springs the rear air (which is pants and unreliable) wont lower.

I am an ex mechanic so I understand completely how you did it so thanks for the info - just need to know if you needed any other parts other than the springs. Did they fit directly into the airbag housings or did you need other bits too. If so - what bits.

If its just the springs then I will get a set of lowering springs for a Vito as they come as a set of 4.

Ide appreciate the feedback.

You can email me direct on [email protected] if its easier.

Cheers,

Simon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just changed from Air suspention to springs on my v230 got them from Main dealer who charged 152.30 + vat

Apart from this all parts are brand new and what the Merc dealer advised.

Parts required

Rear Springs Part No MA638-324-06-04/60 x2 Cost 58.66 each
Shim MA638-324-08-84 x2 Cost 6.71 each
Bolts MA914125-008535 x6 Cost 0.26 each
Shim MA638-324-07-84 x4 Cost 2.79 each
Shim MA638-324-05-84 x2 Cost 4.42 each

Cost is in Sterling

Only Disapointing part on having the springs is that it bounces more when having a caravan on the back

Regards

Mick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi im based in Kent and after several problems with my air suspension on my v230 i converted to springs, im now offering the service to anyone who is interested, ill supply the parts and labour, just bring me the car and ill do it for you. For more information and quotes including parts email me [email protected], please put in subject of email that its to do with car else ill delete by mistake with all the other rubbish you get sent these days. Many thanks Rob

·
Registered
1 Posts
Change from air to springs

I have successfuly and very simply changed from air to springs and for my purpose (using v class as passanger vehicle for long motorway travel) have found conversion to be excellent. I used a pair of vito springs from a breakers....... the two plastic shims, the two rubber shims and one extra allen bolt each side came from the same vehicle. I retained my original shock absorbers. I may have been lucky with the springs as the ride height of the vehicle is unaltered.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, I'm Bill from Greece
I see that some of you switched to coil springs.
Did your air compressor died?
I was wondering if someone still got it and if you are willing to give it to me.
Mine is also out of order and I think I might fix it if I had some parts,even from a faulty compressor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
7 Participants
billdj
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing