Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone can help me. I bought a property in Wyoming from an older gentlemen that had a snow removal business. He abandoned 2 Unimogs to the sale. I'm looking to sell them but I don't know what they are worth, can someone help? They still run. What's the best way to go about selling them?? I've included pics. I think the years are 1976 and 1974.

Attachments

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
12,250 Posts
They both look to be in very good condition.

They are both set up with auxiliary engines in the rear - these power plants would drive a front mounted snowblower, made by Schmidt in this case, judging by the Schmidt 'UNIMOG" plate beneath the windshield. The panorama (tall) windshield is a modification for the snow blowing operation, also done by Schmidt.

The Snow blowers, and the plow(s) would affect the price if they are included. Spare parts and maintenance items would also drive the price up, depending on what they might be.

I'll check to see what I might be able to dig up as far as comparative prices.
These look to have been well cared for, with good tires and clean bodywork - signs of an owner that took care of them, so that will increase the value. Lots of these are hammered, and yours are not.

·
Registered
87 - 419 SEE,90 - 1300L
243 Posts
The one comment I have is that IMHO Unimogs tend to be "illiquid assets" Yes there is rabid demand for them from a very small group of folks in the US but the market is very thin even thinner for a snowblower. Many may take several months to sell and will require advertising in somewhat obscure places along with a multitude of tire kickers. Thus the range of values need to be qualified with do you want to sell them quick (IE they are in the way and want them gone) or do you want to sell them for top dollar? (which may take far longer). They do look in very nice condition.

Many get listed on Ebay but few sell so if you do search for an idea of value make sure you search the "Sold listings" to exclude the ones that are listed and them removed when the owner is insulted by the response. There is or was a snowblower currently listed with a 40K minimum and a lot of attachments that would raise the value. One off the wall place to list them with is Bring A Trailer, Unimog's on occasion sell for stupid dollars on that site and the weirder the better ;). They key with them is they want a story and good pictures to go along with the story.

In general these are large heavy pieces of equipment and shipping will be steep.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
4,251 Posts
Blower trucks with power packs are a unique flavor. If you like them you love them and if not they are an odd duck of limited use. Their value as unimogs is different from their value as blower trucks in that looked at one way they are highly capable and THE tool for the job, when the road must be open etc but looked at from the other way they are laden down with a heavy pile of extraneous equipment of very limited value or resale, with a goofy cab, limited support and a whole litany of unknowns and unknowables. Like 419 SEE trucks and traction heads, blowers (round or square) represent some of the more specialized variations of the breed and the labor needed to remove the snow gear to do other things is a large consumer of time and effort if you ever plan to put it back on to blow snow again.

So that said, 406/416 trucks in good condition, in good working order will still command value in the market place. Questions that come to mind are of course:

1. blower heads, type, present and working, quantity
2. snow blades, type
3. video of trucks and power packs running
4. photo/video walk around, trucks, blowers and blades
5. chassis numbers from right frame rail ahead of right front wheel,
6.photos of data plates on everything

A. it will appease the gods
B. these trucks may be known
C. specifics will help clarify valuation
D. running condition makes the difference, ugly trucks that run well do better than body shop queens that don't run
E. honesty about condition is important, if they have dings and rust don't hide it, they all rust somewhere at some point

BaT is all about selling a story, you need to have background to get sizzle there. They are big into patina and plumage and the wonky or weirder the better with unimogs. Ebay/Craigslist are less successful in moving trucks but the links get shared far and wide, Facebook Marketplace is somewhat unknown in terms of trucks marketed versus trucks sold.

Unimog® Exchange aka The Exchange is the grand old matron of unimog buying and selling, very little in the way of useless tire kicking etc and provided you bring realistic and reasonable value expectations, they will sell reasonably quick and go to someone who knows (reasonably) what they are buying into.

And speaking solely for myself, I lurvvvv a snowcutter cab and would have oodles of fun with either truck but I'm defective like that and enjoy plowing, the worse the conditions the better.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,364 Posts
The one comment I have is that IMHO Unimogs tend to be "illiquid assets" Yes there is rabid demand for them from a very small group of folks in the US but the market is very thin even thinner for a snowblower. Many may take several months to sell and will require advertising in somewhat obscure places along with a multitude of tire kickers. Thus the range of values need to be qualified with do you want to sell them quick (IE they are in the way and want them gone) or do you want to sell them for top dollar? (which may take far longer). They do look in very nice condition.

Many get listed on Ebay but few sell so if you do search for an idea of value make sure you search the "Sold listings" to exclude the ones that are listed and them removed when the owner is insulted by the response. There is or was a snowblower currently listed with a 40K minimum and a lot of attachments that would raise the value. One off the wall place to list them with is Bring A Trailer, Unimog's on occasion sell for stupid dollars on that site and the weirder the better ;). They key with them is they want a story and good pictures to go along with the story.

In general these are large heavy pieces of equipment and shipping will be steep.
This applies to pretty much everything I own!!

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
12,250 Posts
Nobody has given you a number yet, and that isn't really surprising, since there are a lot of variables.
I'll tell you what I think, and I'll assume that UNIMOGs are a subject that you don't know much about. Please forgive me if I am wrong on that assumption.

The trucks you have are specifically modified 406 UNIMOGs, that were put together for one specific purpose :
Snow Removal. There are three basic components: the 406 UNIMOG, the auxiliary power plant in the back
(and the drive mechanism that transfers the power to the front), and the Schmidt Snowblower up front.

Together, they comprise an efficient, proven tool for snow removal. If you were to break the three pieces apart, you'd have a 406 Unimog with a cool cab, an Auxiliary engine that might serve as a replacement engine for a UNIMOG (depending the model of the engine in back), and a big heavy piece of equipment that is worth scrap value, unless it is married to the other two items.
My take :
A. Do Not separate the components. They hold the highest value as a complete set. If a buyer just wants the UNIMOG, then that is on him. He can buy the package, take the snow equipment off and deal with it on his own. Sell the complete unit in its intended form and don't get stuck with a bunch of metal.

Next, they look to be in very good condition. This is impossible to know for sure, and more exhaustive photos would help, but posting the photos in the ad will take care of that, along with accurate descriptions regarding the mechanical state of affairs.
This site, or the UNIMOG Exchange, are two good choices for listing them. Don't let some smooth-talking Pawn Stars-like character (civilian or dealer) try to low-ball you. These trucks, in this configuration and in this (apparent) condition, are very useful tools, and they are valuable. As they sit, they are most valuable to someone that wants them for what the previous owner used them for - Snow Removal.

I would market them in two distinct lots, maybe three. The two lots would be the complete trucks with their implements. So, a 406 with Schmidt snow cutter package plus a plow (if there is one, as the photos show), times two, and possibly a third lot, comprised of the spares and expendables, if there are any. If the extras just comprise some V-belts and some filters, then I'd divide them in half and put them in the cab of the UNIMOGs.

As to value, it really depends on the condition and the functionality of all of the mechanical components. Transmission, Engine, Driveline, brakes - each of those items can cost a few thousand to sort out if they are wonky.

Just as a reference, if you take just the UNIMOG, a 406, the value can be all over the map. The Case MB4/94 is basically a US marketed version of the trucks that you have. They don't have the panorama cab, and they are set up to have a different equipment package and implement options, but the core truck is essentially the same. So, the Case UNIMOG can be listed for sale at anywhere from $7000 to $45,000 , and they might be fairly valued at those two extremes. The Lower end will probably represent a UNIMOG with mechanical issues, a good dose of rust, bad tires, brakes that need work, and so on. The $45K version should represent a Case UNIMOG in prime shape, with great mechanicals, fresh paint, no rust, and a whole slew of implements, also in good operational condition.

I would list them separatly, but if a buyer wanted both, I'd cut them a little slack with a discount.

I've pulled some ads for what are essentially the same Schmidt 406 Snow Cutters currently for sale in Europe, and the prices range from 5,200 Euros to 38,000 Euros - quite a span. I can post the screen grabs up, but that is a different market, and it is mainly important to note the wide disparity in prices for what are essential the same trucks with the same equipment packages. The Condition has to be the driver there, as it would be with your UNIMOGs.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that each of your trucks are worth something between $25K AND $35K, DEPENDING on the condition. It could be $20K to $30K, and if they are exceptional and have some substantial spares, then $40K might be justified.

The Snow Blower itself can list for $2500 - $4000, the Auxiliary Engine (depending on the model) can fetch $3K-$6k depending on the hours and condition, and the 406 Panorama Cab ....well, it can vary a lot.

If You Google 'Case UNIMOG MB4/94', you will find them for sale, and while not a direct comparison, it will give you some idea as to how these things are marketed, as well as a look at the condition vs the price equation.
I'm in Montana, and In the summertime I could see driving to Wyoming to look at some UNIMOGs, but I have some travel coming up, and I'm a little busy...it depends where in Wyoming they are. I'm usually up to go and look at UNIMOGs. I could use one of them, for sure.

Best of luck with them and keep asking any questions you might have.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
4,251 Posts
As a follow on, no one has likely spat out a number because of all the unknowns etc. One photo shows a sketchy dark spot on the ground and a 4x4 where the pto shaft should be. Its possible that one truck was intended to be the prime machine and the other was intended to "transition" its components to the prime truck as needed etc.

Filling in the blanks can help us crowd source a viable number. Also at this stage, in line with Truktors advice, do not let the slick talkers tell you how worthless then are, @DokaTD aside, as every dollar they talk you down is two more for their profit. No one knows what they can sell for because we lack information to assist you.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
12,250 Posts
Now that I’m on the laptop, I can see some rust on the door panel, and some other scuffs- a bit rougher than I first thought, but still not bad.
Based on the faded graphic on the door, they were based out of Evanston, Wy.
I came across this ad from 2017 advertising one in Cheyenne, Wyoming for sale -$35K.
It all depends.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light Motor vehicle
Font Rectangle Screenshot Brand Parallel

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,364 Posts
Just my opinion but those panoramic cabs are a major knock to the trucks value assuming it doesn’t have any snow equipment. The package is the value not the truck itself. That said, no serious snow mover is going to consider these relics. So you either need a small business or hobbyist snow mover or you need to accept just about anything anyone gives you to remove them from your property. There is a reason the previous owner let them go. They just aren’t relevant these days and they are not as desirable as most other Unimog’s. As a package I would say $15k is round about right to move them somewhat fast. $22-25k is fair but will take some time. With some investment and knowledge you might get $30-35k each but the investment required may not be worth it.

·
Registered
1991 1250L Doka Unimog, 2002 ML320
1,412 Posts
Nobody has given you a number yet, and that isn't really surprising, since there are a lot of variables.
I'll tell you what I think, and I'll assume that UNIMOGs are a subject that you don't know much about. Please forgive me if I am wrong on that assumption.

The trucks you have are specifically modified 406 UNIMOGs, that were put together for one specific purpose :
Snow Removal. There are three basic components: the 406 UNIMOG, the auxiliary power plant in the back
(and the drive mechanism that transfers the power to the front), and the Schmidt Snowblower up front.

Together, they comprise an efficient, proven tool for snow removal. If you were to break the three pieces apart, you'd have a 406 Unimog with a cool cab, an Auxiliary engine that might serve as a replacement engine for a UNIMOG (depending the model of the engine in back), and a big heavy piece of equipment that is worth scrap value, unless it is married to the other two items.
My take :
A. Do Not separate the components. They hold the highest value as a complete set. If a buyer just wants the UNIMOG, then that is on him. He can buy the package, take the snow equipment off and deal with it on his own. Sell the complete unit in its intended form and don't get stuck with a bunch of metal.

Next, they look to be in very good condition. This is impossible to know for sure, and more exhaustive photos would help, but posting the photos in the ad will take care of that, along with accurate descriptions regarding the mechanical state of affairs.
This site, or the UNIMOG Exchange, are two good choices for listing them. Don't let some smooth-talking Pawn Stars-like character (civilian or dealer) try to low-ball you. These trucks, in this configuration and in this (apparent) condition, are very useful tools, and they are valuable. As they sit, they are most valuable to someone that wants them for what the previous owner used them for - Snow Removal.

I would market them in two distinct lots, maybe three. The two lots would be the complete trucks with their implements. So, a 406 with Schmidt snow cutter package plus a plow (if there is one, as the photos show), times two, and possibly a third lot, comprised of the spares and expendables, if there are any. If the extras just comprise some V-belts and some filters, then I'd divide them in half and put them in the cab of the UNIMOGs.

As to value, it really depends on the condition and the functionality of all of the mechanical components. Transmission, Engine, Driveline, brakes - each of those items can cost a few thousand to sort out if they are wonky.

Just as a reference, if you take just the UNIMOG, a 406, the value can be all over the map. The Case MB4/94 is basically a US marketed version of the trucks that you have. They don't have the panorama cab, and they are set up to have a different equipment package and implement options, but the core truck is essentially the same. So, the Case UNIMOG can be listed for sale at anywhere from $7000 to $45,000 , and they might be fairly valued at those two extremes. The Lower end will probably represent a UNIMOG with mechanical issues, a good dose of rust, bad tires, brakes that need work, and so on. The $45K version should represent a Case UNIMOG in prime shape, with great mechanicals, fresh paint, no rust, and a whole slew of implements, also in good operational condition.

I would list them separatly, but if a buyer wanted both, I'd cut them a little slack with a discount.

I've pulled some ads for what are essentially the same Schmidt 406 Snow Cutters currently for sale in Europe, and the prices range from 5,200 Euros to 38,000 Euros - quite a span. I can post the screen grabs up, but that is a different market, and it is mainly important to note the wide disparity in prices for what are essential the same trucks with the same equipment packages. The Condition has to be the driver there, as it would be with your UNIMOGs.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that each of your trucks are worth something between $25K AND $35K, DEPENDING on the condition. It could be $20K to $30K, and if they are exceptional and have some substantial spares, then $40K might be justified.

The Snow Blower itself can list for $2500 - $4000, the Auxiliary Engine (depending on the model) can fetch $3K-$6k depending on the hours and condition, and the 406 Panorama Cab ....well, it can vary a lot.

If You Google 'Case UNIMOG MB4/94', you will find them for sale, and while not a direct comparison, it will give you some idea as to how these things are marketed, as well as a look at the condition vs the price equation.
I'm in Montana, and In the summertime I could see driving to Wyoming to look at some UNIMOGs, but I have some travel coming up, and I'm a little busy...it depends where in Wyoming they are. I'm usually up to go and look at UNIMOGs. I could use one of them, for sure.

Road trip Truktor.........
Chas

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
12,250 Posts
Some prices from Europe, just for reference. They range from High to Low, of course.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Vehicle Font Recipe Screenshot
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Product Truck
Musical instrument Recipe Orange Motor vehicle Font
Vehicle Motor vehicle Font Tire Plant

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Just for reference there is an SBU blower package on Unimog Exchange for something like $48k. That knocks the 406’s value in that market way way down.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
12,250 Posts
They are old, slow, noisy, somewhat cramped, and not modern - just like every 406 and 416 out there.

That said, if everything is in good shape, they can be real work horses, and can clear a lot of snow. You would
not take on clearing airport runways with one, and they are best when there are a few feet of snow to work with, but they work well, and their small size can work to their advantage. If a plow is included, then you have a good snow clearing unit- perfect for dirt (or paved) road driveways in Montana, for example.
The power plant in the one without the curtains on the rear looks to be an OM355A, which is not an engine that will transplant into the 406 / 416 readily.

Snow Snowplow Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Snow
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Snow
Wheel Vehicle Snow Tire Snowplow
Wheel Tire Snow Sky Automotive tire
Snow Mountain Vehicle Snowplow Automotive tire
Snow Wheel Snowplow Motor vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Snow Vehicle Automotive tire
Font Screenshot Number Rectangle

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
12,250 Posts
I think that they are two different rigs, at two different price points, and I don't think they affect each other's pricing or value at all.
Say the best of the Wyoming rigs goes for $28K. That is a $20K difference, for a truck that will do a lot, admittedly not as much (volume-wise) as the SBU, but at quite a discount. If a plow is included, then the 406 might even have an advantage because it can deal with a wider range of winter conditions. If the 406 goes for a more reasonable $25K, even better. Plus, you might wrangle the archaic BBQ grill into the deal.
I like the big SBU, but I could not really use it on and around my property much, just on the road (after clearing some overhead tree branches to clear that chute). The 406, however, would fit in just about everywhere (could have the same chute clearance problems, but the blowers are not shown, so who knows ?)

Each one is what it is, with corresponding values.

Horses for Courses.

Rectangle Smile Font Circle Number
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Truck
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
3,167 Posts
Sorry, I shouldn’t get into this. BUt PM me if you wanna sell the plow on one of them.

Thanks

C.

Reactions: NhBen

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

My take :

Thanks so much for your input. I'm in Evanston Wyoming. I don't know what type of working order they are in... I only know that they run because the gentlemen had them running because he was going to move them, then never showed up again. Other than that I have no idea. I don't even know how to run them or their auxiliary engines and I don't even know where I'd go to get help with that type of thing... What type of mechanic might service these?

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
12,250 Posts
I can post the starting and driving instructions from the owner's manual, so you can get them started and moved if you'd like.
They are weird trucks, but a good diesel mechanic should be able to deal with the engine at least. The rest of the driveline is a little more obscure, and the shop manual is the key to figuring things out.

Evanston isn't huge (Pop~ 12,500 something), and I see 3 Diesel Mechanics in a quick search.
UNIMOG owners often work on their own trucks, because with the workshop manuals, we can usually take the necessary time to figure things out on our own, which is a better option than paying shop rates to somebody that has never seen one before ...

The Previous owner either did his own maintenance and repair, or he had his trucks worked on by one of the local diesel shops. I'll post a screen grab of what the search turned up. A few phone calls will sort out if any of the local shops have a history with them.

A better set of photos would help the guys on this forum form up an opinion on what you have. Photos of the implements (Snow Blower and plow, etc.), and a more complete set of photos of the trucks will move the process along. You don't have to crawl under the things, but photos of the interior of the cab, the engine bay with the hood open, and anything that does not look so good will be helpful. The right rear tire on the UNIMOG without the rear curtains looks to be de-beaded a bit, like it has a flat, for instance. The trouble spots will probably be more informative than the good stuff, but the more the merrier.

I'd arbitrarily assign 'names' to the trucks and post the photos in separate 10 photo chunks, to avoid confusion. 'Truck A' and 10 photos, and 'Truck B', 10 photos etc. The same for the implements, and we can try to make sense of the equipment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts